I read that statement, of course.
I would like to know what my options are in terms of getting it fixed. IF a new batch is coming, say, within a month, i might wait. If it is totally undetermined wait, I will look for a third party to fix this for me.
I did send WR email directy inquiring about repair of the unit I bought from WR dirctly, but did not receive a reply. Hence my question Nr. 2