Production of the Telex units is going well - but way slower than expected. At every turn, I'm underestimating how long it is going to take me to do each step. What does this mean for my timeline?
Well, I am not going to meet my first week of April date. I've been killing myself to go as fast as possible and it just isn't going as quickly as I need it to in order to make my target. I'm bummed too, btw. I've been looking forward to getting this part behind me. I think there is at least a month more of work to go - but don't quote me. Clearly I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.
I've updated my Crazy Verbose Status + Timeline above - go check it out if you want detail on each and every step. At a high level, I'm almost done with assembly with all of the TXi units. Here are some of them:
I've tested a few and things are looking good - but the rest are still in the pipeline to get verified.
I first was trying to do an end-to-end on eight at a time. That was a nightmare - and slow as hell. I was a nervous wreck trying to get the first eight done without making mistakes. (My back was killing me. I had a splitting headache. It was not working.)
I've since moved to a "one step at a time across all units" approach. That is way easier on me and way, way faster. Here are some TXi from earlier in the week waiting to get their board to board headers installed.
You can see that the top potentiometer is not yet installed; the trick is not to do that until the balancing header at the top of the board is trimmed and installed to avoid shorts.
One of the things that took a boatload of time was prepping the pots; taking the screws and spacers off and clipping off the little anti-rotation nub. I'm never buying pots that have those stupid things still on them again. (Unfortunately, it was the only source I could find where I could get the volume we needed in time.)
I designed and 3D printed a little assembly frame (it is in the extras folder) that has made soldering components to the boards way easier. I put four little rubber feet on the bottom and it keeps things in place while I'm doing the assembly. Super-handy!!
I'll keep you updated as I progress. Expect my next post when the TXi are done.
TELEX HANDY LINKS
TELEX Microsite | Ordering Process Details
Crazy Verbose Status + Timeline | Printable Command Reference