_riddim - monome polyrhythmic sequencer

Hi all, I upgraded last week to a GS 128 and it made me finally follow the incredible grid studies and got me thinking about building a polyrhythmic sequencer. It is inspired by Mark Fell’s texts on pattern synthesis and the max4live device from @benniii to whom I’m very much indebted. I’m sure that it would be prettier on a VB but I think it won’t cause any seizures as it is. It’s the first device that I build in max so I’ll be glad to hear your comments about it or if you have found bugs or how to make it better. To avoid unwanted lights just make sure to change the number of steps before the metro reaches that step, otherwise it will leave a “trace” on the sequence. Cheers, A.

_riddim 0.1.maxpat (228.6 KB)

_riddim 0.1.amxd (292.8 KB)

11 Likes

I’d be really interested to read those Mark Fell texts… do you have a link to them?

1 Like

No, sorry, no link available.

That’s a shame. Where else could I find them / where were they published?

Edit: don’t worry, just seen the other thread.

anybody had success with this app (aside from @angel) ?

i’ve now failed to send midi notes from riddim to ableton and my volca…troubleshooting but have no idea what could be wrong

1 Like

on ableton’s midi preferences do you have “from max 1” track and remote on?

I’ve added a little mixer for more playability. First 7 buttons of the last row are now on/off toggles for each of the voices.

1 Like

Make sure the velocity dial is at something above zero and double click the note out box to choose the midi device that ableton is listening to. Those were the things that we’re giving me trouble

1 Like

Mind pointing it out ? :slight_smile:

2 Likes

thanks for the suggestions so far but no luck yet

will test with other apps to see if everything midi based is non-functional

Right, sorry, it’s here:

1 Like

I’ve uploaded a M4L version. I hope it’s more useful now :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Improved the midi section and added autofocus

1 Like

i’ll test later

thank you so much!

1 Like

Do you still have a link to the standalone version? Would love to give that a shot.

2 Likes

there you go, let me know what you think.

1 Like

Just came across this while conducting my own research into Mark Fell and his son Rian Treanor’s beats. The device sounds interesting but unfortunately I cannot get it to function in live or max. I have checked the troubleshooting suggestions in the thread but to no avail. Could anyone who has successfully had the device up and running share their settings for Live please? Thanks in advance!

how did i not know this before?!

2 Likes