104 hp inspiration

I love it! It’s an odd one, for sure. It can simulate bouncing balls, but also be used in a more standard modulator/lfo style using the trigger input and low-bounce settings. It’s really unique. I do have a couple other modules that I sometimes swap into that spot - Triple Sloths and ARSEq - depending on specific needs. I’ve also been thinking about 4hp alternatives for Bong0, which is cool but not always what I want.

Here is my 100hp setup at the moment in conjunction with a grid and arc. I need to practice/learn the morphogene more as it feels light on voices. I have been thinking of maybe selling the morphogene to free up space for some other things perhaps but also feel like I haven’t devoted enough time to it yet to give up on it. Still very much learning synthesis as a whole so it is a process. There is a mother32 that sits next to this which helps a lot but I want to have the 100hp rack be able to travel on it’s own and feel whole.

Thinking of downsizing the system on my desk and putting my most-used modules back in my moog 104 skiff. This set-up is 90% of synth voices I’ve used in the past year, yet my case is twice the size:

Technically 103hp, but I needs me the 1hp so the cable from my spring reverb can poke out the side!

104 hp Chaotic Drum Synthesizer.

Inspired by the mention of the System Cartesian, I went ahead and reshuffled my skiff after studying its signal flow — and I have to say, it is great that way. Hats of to MN, they know what they do. It is so much more playable now. — Let me share some details:

Here the System Cartesian for comparison

And here my skiff (it is technically 100HP worth of modules, I just like a bit more space)

I always preferred the right to left approach, which also Endorphin.es are using with their Shuttle system. Functional clusters like for like with the System Cartesian:

• RND, clock divider and Kermit as Wogglebug
  • Tides and Mangrove as syncable oscillator section
  • Pip, Shades and Function as ‘mini’ Maths
  • Moddemix and A-Mix as VCA/Ringmod/Mixer section
  • additionally some delay and other modules for manipulation

Works well standalone with Disting or the ‘Wogglebug section’ for sequencing if desired, or like above with 2 Korg SQ1 and an 0-Coast as company …

Always again astounding how a bit of thoughtful reshuffling of modules can make the same system so much more playable …

Cool, looks like you have some tactile input?

I like the look of this small system with many compact modules.

Here is my 104HP (currently 102HP) system. It’s mostly for processing external sounds at the moment. I might switch out the Analog Delay for something else. I’m also not totally happy with the VCA4p module. I really want a VCA/Mixer module where the knobs are attenuators when a CV is present. The knobs on the VCA4p simply control the volume when no CV is present. Any suggestions for VCA/mixers? Also there is 2HP left over for monome crow when it is ready.

tangle quartet has the knobs-as-attenuators vca thing you’re looking for, it’s great.

I may not be understanding what you’re asking for, but, both of my VCAs with attenuation knobs (MI Veils and Zlob Vnicursal VCA) do the following:

• With no CV controlling a VCA channel, the knob acts as an attenuator of the input signal, whether that’s a CV or audio signal. In other words, the CV control of the VCA is normaled to 5v, and the knob attenuates the 5v control of how open the VCA is. In other other words, it acts like an attenuator.
  • With CV coming in to control the VCA channel, the knob attenuates the degree to which the CV control affects the VCA being open. In practice, this also attenuates the volume of the output, since the signal opening and closing the VCA has a lower peak. I understand this as ‘normal’ VCA behavior, but I may be wrong.

In terms of mixing, I believe the Tangle Quartet and Vnicursal act similarly, in that the channels are summed to a sum/mix channel, but can be taken out of the sum and output individually by patching a channel’s output.

Veils mixes a little differently, in that summing happens top-to-bottom, and outputting from a channel breaks that summing. So in other words, if you have 4 inputs into Veils, and you patch out of outputs 2 and 4, channels 1 and 2 will be mixed in the 2 output, and channels 3 and 4 will be mixed in the 4 output.

AFAIK none of these allow a total control of volume of a mixed output from one knob. In other words, for Tangle Quartet & Vnicursal, you can’t control the sum/mix volume from one knob, and with Veils, you can have your channel 2 knob fully closed/CCW, and channel 1 will still output from output 2 if that’s how you have it patched.

I’m fond of the Vnicursal, mostly because it can be DIY’d for about $70-80 and it’s 6 channels in 8hp. That said, it’s laid out a little confusingly and the ergonomics using the trim pots for attenuation leaves a little to be desired. I used to not understand the attraction of the Tangle Quartet but thinking about it a bit more, it’s compact and ergonomic and clean, like most of ALMs designs.

I just had a massive “duh” moment re: Tangle Quartet. I had been looking at it anyway as I’m short on VCAs, but somehow I was also shopping for a quad attenuator even though I never need four channels of either. :thinking:

You just saved me $100

I’m sort of surprised, I thought this was just how all mixing VCAs work (re attenuation), but digging a little that seems to be not always the case.

You mean the module on the very left? It’s a Mutable Instrument Ears, basically a pimped Music Thing Modular Mikrophonie. — And you are right, often I’m using it for ‘tactile’ input. Usually tapping or scratching, but gently pushing works too (the PCB panel flexes a bit which is enough to get the piezo pickup going) . Its envelope follower creates some nice CV curves …

I love that many of the modules are ‘modeless’. Means they are fairly open to what they do (e.g. from VCO to LFO to envelope to clock source etc.). That way the same system can be a myriad of things. Since I’m mostly exploring, this is what I was aiming for …

Are you saying that, when you have CV patched to control the VCA on the VCA4p, the knobs do nothing at all?

If that’s the case, that’s … an interesting choice.

I read that on the older Vnicursal model the knobs actually controlled offset with a cv present, but has since been changed to attenuation like you mention.

Not sure if this exists in any other modules out there, but another interesting variation…

I remember reading something like that as well, and also some of the build guides mentioned jumpers on the back to control either that behavior or to choose AC- or DC-coupling. I think the current versions do not offer those jumpers though, at least for the DIY version.

I can see arguments for both but the current design (attenuated) feels the most conventionally useful.

They might adjust the CV slightly, but I can’t get the voltage to get to zero when CV is present and the knob is fully counter-clockwise.

Designed for interfacing with the DAW, analogue experimental synthesis workbench.

That actually sounds like bleed. Are there trim pots on the back for adjusting response levels?

Curious what folks would do to this idea…
I’ve already got:

• Make Noise powered skiff,
  • All the Mannequins except for W/ which is on pre-order

I will be getting Grid, Ansible and Teletype as soon as I can…

Does it make any sense to have both the DPLPG and the LxD? if not, which one to lose?

Does the URA make sense? I was considering a Planar2 in that slot perhaps.

Or should I think about getting some TT extenders?

I am completing a Make Noise Shared System, and have a Mantis with some other cool stuff, so this isn’t my only toolbox, but I wanted to have a skiff mostly devoted to Monome and Mannequins.

Grateful for any ideas/insights…

Thanks!

I like it! It’s similar to mine upthread. I do kind of miss a dedicated noise source (although actually Just Friends can do a good impression of it) and having the foot-switch control would be pretty cool.

I don’t know anything about the DPLPG other than it’s popular here, but ~you can never have too many LPGs~ or something. I will say it’s worth thinking about how often you’d like Just Friends to be a sound source, since if so I think you don’t have any envelope generators for those patches (well, beyond Teletype, which would be a little fiddly imo). You do have another case for those patches, I guess.