104 hp inspiration

I wouldn’t cut the O_C quite yet, as with the hemisphere suite, it can act as a host of smaller utilities in addition to a midi-cv interface through the teensy in the back. One thing to note for the utilities is the O_C can only output -3 to +5v

edit: maybe the midi-cv interface isn’t as important with the Hermod, but you could use it as your envelope generator for example.

I’ll second not cutting uO_C, especially with Hemisphere. Chances are that it will do something you want at some point. It’s a very good utility that’s less opaque than Disting. I was reading the applet list earlier today, and I constantly forget shit it can do because I tend to use a few all the time.

Used this skiff for some noise at my last show and it was wonderful:

modular is like being in a wind tunnel with all different color smoke swirling past you and reaching out your hands and shaping the smoke with your fingers.

Hi everyone! I’m back after my 18 hour delay… now I’m an official member.

I really appreciate all of the insight on this little skiff I’m putting together.

Will be adjusting some things and will pop back in with a revision soon :slight_smile:

Anyone have any suggestions or personal favorite modules to pair with an 0-Coast other than the ones I threw in the skiff?

Thanks folks for correcting my understanding of O_C. I wasn’t aware of how much functionality is in there! Looks pretty cool.

Lots to do with 0_c! seems like it could be useful for a multitude of applications. Lots of cv capabilities in a small package :slight_smile:

I’d always recommend slow exploration personally. For pairing with an 0-Coast, or any external synth with CV input/output - I always think modulation is a good starting point to the journey. Something self-contained like a Maths is incredibly potent and will push the understanding of synthesis to a deeper level and will give you more time to ponder the direction with a next module as you find your voice.

But yeah, start slow. Figure out how you want to approach things before overcommitting. I find it helpful to hone in on a philosophy/concept/set of limitations, but that isn’t always apparent right away. I personally removed all effects/processing basically and have focused my case on ‘pure synthesis’. I also have tried to avoid graphic displays and submenus (Plonk is my exception!). Some people want it all in one case, which requires a lot of compromise if you want effects and mixing within. It’s all about trade-offs, but if you start slow you won’t spend as much money before possibly making a mis-step and having to switch directions and unload a lot of what you’ve invested in.

I have probably said the same thing like 6 times in response to 6U rack ideas in the “new to Eurorack” thread, but I definitely agree!

if you get 1-2 modules at a time to expand on the 0-coast, you’ll already have a ton to work with, and I bet by the time/if you fill 104hp, you’ll find yourself wanting things that are anywhere from slightly different to radically different from what you expect now. also agree that Maths would be a good addition to 0-coast, and is a good thing to build on no matter what direction you go with the rest of the rack. also holds resale value if you don’t like it :stuck_out_tongue:

Echoing start slow. I didn’t start slow - I caught the bug hard, and unfortunately had the ability to fund the habit (not intending to humble brag, just explaining). I’ve ended up with much more than I need, which makes it hard to learn things deeply, and also a number of modules I’m trying to pass on in a softer Eurorack second hand market.

All this is to say, go crazy if you want, but you will likely not stop at 104hp if you allow yourself to build up to it quickly :slight_smile:

For the 0 Coast specifically, I think it depends on your other gear. 0 Coast almost expects MIDI, and some of the functionality of it can’t be accessed without it (the arpeggiator mostly). I’m pretty sure you could send it MIDI from your Elektron gear, and arpeggiators beg to played with piano keys IMO, so if you have some keyboard in your life that can send MIDI to it that would be great. Bonus is that 0 Coast can function as a second MIDI-to-CV converter, so you can get two sequences out of your MIDI gear without anything additional. You can of course sequence the 0 Coast directly from CV sequencers, but unless you don’t have MIDI gear in the mix, that feels like it’s just using up a sequence voice.

As cliche as it is, Maths is still an excellent first/early module. It provides you with a lot of functionality you will always need.

The Disting Mk4 is a great early modular choice because it does so many things. It also allows you to explore different categories at low expense, and it will probably continue to be useful long into your modular journey. And, it is in demand, and will sell easily if you decide to let it go.

o_C was also one of my early modules, and I think it’s a great early module. Just be aware that o_C really needs triggers to be useful, so you need some sort of set of gate-sources. To some degree O Coast can provide these for itself, but you might consider looking at something like Tempi or Pamela’s New Workout. Batumi can also fill this role some.

Plaits is also a great versatile first voice, and can be driven as said via MIDI through 0 Coast, at least to start.

Go slow :slight_smile: it’s exciting, but it can get out of hand quickly.

I started this strange journey with an MS-20 mini, which is, like, similar in spirit to an 0-coast, I guess. Maths was my first module, and I rolled deep adding chaotic modulation capabilities to the MS-20 for a few months.

Eventually (over the course of months) I added a Clouds, a BeatStep Pro and a Dixie II+, in roughly that order, all of which I no longer own, at which point I realized some of what I was trying to do and got antsy and finished my 104HP case (twice—in June and then in November) in about the same amount of time… in some sense I’m still reeling from the amount of new possibilities I’ve flooded myself with.

Woah, yet again thanks everyone for your super detailed insight. Maths was something that has been on and off my list for months, I wasn’t sure if there would be a lot of overlap with some of the 0-Coast functions or not.

A lot of your past experiences are pretty reminiscent of how I’m feeling currently. Super excited to just dive in completely to the format without really being sure of what I want. My biggest worry is purchasing a full skiff and finding out I didn’t grab the right stuff. So I guess I’ll just start building up slowly!

:slight_smile: this all sounds great.

If you’re buying a full skiff (which I would), don’t forget blanks! Not always strictly necessary but it’s good practice. I cut all my blanks out of cardboard; if you punch tiny holes where the screws go, they tend to stay in place. Bonus with cardboard is that you can decorate it to your heart’s content, and as your system grows, just cut hp off your blank.

+1 to cardboard blanks

best thing about cardboard blanks is that they can double up as a place to jot down info to reference real quick!

What do you think about the Befaco Jumpskiff?? its “only” 98 hp.
Another question is I want to be able to transport it from home to office in my bike, a bag recomendation?
thanks in advance

The theremin bag from moog is expensive but the right size and as an extra pocket useful for storing patch cables and power supply

Its perfect! i can buy one for 58€ in Thomann

Anybody familiar with the Make Noise skiff (104 hp) - if it’s similar, depth-wise, to the Intellijel cases… I’m looking for something compact (mainly for add’l modules I can’t fit into my primary case), but the 4ms 60 hp pod (unpowered) is about the same price as the MN skiff.

The low profile (shallow depth) of 4ms pods is attractive, but it could be limiting for deeper modules. 4ms (supposedly) is going to introduce a deeper version (48 hp) pod, but there’s no apparent ETA on it. My concern is (re: MN skiff) – does it feel portable? Is its depth (height) an issue, or is it a realistic (unpowered) alternative for module ‘overflow’ ?

I’m currently at 6U / 84 hp, and it’s well-portable… a 104 hp skiff could also serve as a pared down ‘performance’ case–not strictly for module overflow

I have one and it feels extremely robust. It’s deep enough for many modules and has a good amount of power. It lacks a lid or case but the Moog theremini case fits just fine…

I really like it…

It does have sliding nuts but those are nowhere near as big a pain as people complain about…