104 hp inspiration

how is the RF Nomad? Intriguing module. I can’t seem to find many radio tuner modules. How do you typically use it?

when in “sound” mode, it can be used like a harmonic oscillator, where each output is a partial. you have control over the spread of the individual partials via “intone”, waveform via “curve”, pitch via “time”. personally this is how i most often use my JF.

nb: stages’ easter egg mode is also to act as a harmonic oscillator w/ control over the partials volume and pitch.

Are those all kits or alternate panels? :thinking:

Love this idea! Interested to know as well if these are blanks?

@grey @Brennanib most of them are blemished alt panels, flipped around so you can’t see the labels. I do have a couple kits off to the side waiting to be built, gotta bite the bullet and try SMD soldering by hand…

It’s pretty straight forward. Just work slowly.

Pick a part on the BOM or follow the build guide. Put sticky flux on the pads for all of the locations for that part type. Open your bits carefully - honestly the most dangerous part. Use tweezers or a bit of solder/wire with sticky flux on it to nudge them into place. Apply your iron to the pad and it will suck the part into place. May or may not need additional solder. Once you’re content with the position, pin down the other side. Repeat, too many times! :laughing: Also no lead trimming! Also! Chip Quick is very useful for removing mistakes (they make a metal compound that stays hot longer and melts more easily than solder for removing IC’s - once a component has at least two solder contacts you can’t remove it with just an iron).

my first set up. I never really had a plan set before getting into this. just started buying piece by piece what i thought were basic functions.

so far i’m not sure about the PNW, uScale, and pluck for various reasons. I’m still not clear on a specific “vision” of what i want out of my modular rack. but with that in mind i want to add a combo of two of the following next: QPAS/SMR/Timber/Plaits/Mophagene(maybe) + Voltage Block/Just Friends/Batumi.

I haven’t really looked at Muxslicer before. I wonder how redundant it is with Mutable Stages…

From what i can tell, while there is some functional overlap, stages and muxlicer are more similar in interface than function. While both are a kind of function seqencer (maybe?) the muxlicer does more signal routing and stages is a complex envelope generator. I know both do more and are deeper than that, but that is what jumped out to me most.

(Only from observation/ been manual diving and thinking about both of these modules)

My interim 104hp live rig as I haven’t yet had opportunity to complete my 9U case build. Not deeply designed as a small system, just a selection of modules that fit and give me what I need at the moment. Kind of missing Tides, Streams, and Pressure Points but was delighted to learn that the SQ-1 is manually playable in step mode, as I hadn’t done that before (not a big sequencer user).

Going to try this out this weekend when our quartet Figure From Ground opens for free-jazz cellist Tristan Honsinger! It’s been kind of a long winter so excited to play out and very interested to use a smaller system. Really enjoying Maths as an oscillator, and the Tap LFO in Peaks with it’s built-in amplitude control! SQ-1 and Koma Kommander are nice outboard additions.