104 hp inspiration

Sorry to beat a dead and off topic horse but I’d really like something isms but I’d be worried about depth and noise floor (perhaps, not sure these were ever actual issues to anyone)

I really want to get into 1U… rather have compact versions of VCAs, outputs, noise…

4U, 104-120hp…

any thoughts? there isn’t going to be a new isms case, is there? I remember @tehn mentioning that he doesn’t like to deal with too much legacy support – and that the most recently teased product was a minimal mixer thing.

My suggestion would be to keep the A-110 for now, and add the STO. You can use the A-110 to modulate the timbre of the STO :slight_smile: Also from Make noise, you might enjoy Telharmonic (interesting sounds, noise source) and Morphagene to record manipulate and replay.

Other things you might enjoy are the sampling modulator and crush delay from Befaco, worth checking out.

Also, ears (mutable instruments) is an integrated contact mic and external input. I personally enjoy listening to the amplified sounds of my euro case, and external input can be useful!

I agree with @electret about keeping the A-110, since you already have it, to use with an STO if you go that route. Having some audio rate mod sources are a good thing. I personally wouldn’t need/want two filters with only one or two audio sources, but the uVCF does give you a sine wave VCO when self-oscillating (just crank the resonance all the way up if you’re not familiar), so don’t forget about that as an audio source. A few other things that I might want for subtle drone type stuff (not necessarily all of this at once, but things to think about):

• a fully functioning random module :stuck_out_tongue: especially with voltage control: Wogglebug, Turing Machine, etc
  • some sort of waveshaping/audio modulating options: ModDemix, uMod, Warps, etc. Maybe less necessary if you get STO as it has some shaping options already
  • Attenuation/attenuversion to get more control over modulation voltages: MI Shades is great for this and has bipolar LEDs to see what is going on with your CVs. These also often can act as simple mixers
  • External input: I have a A-119 but would get an Ears if buying today. Envelope followers are fun to use as CVs or to control CVs
  • Effects: I personally like delay/reverb a lot, so would definitely want either/both, even just in the form of external pedals

Maybe check out Sloths by Nonlinear Circuits for slowly changing voltage sources, too. For that matter, a lot of his modules seem ideal for somewhat chaotic/unpredictable uses. I had a Dual Neuron/Difference Rectifier that I really liked. Some LFO options might be cool, though a Maths channel cycling can do a lot of what you might use an LFO for with more control than most LFOs.

Thanks dudes (@electret) . I should have been more specific in my original post. Currently I’m not interested in external input or FX. I generally don’t like FX for what I’m making, and for external contact mic things I like to keep it separate and use my Koma Field Kit. I might be interested in sending external audio at some point in the future but right now it definitely isn’t a priority. I’ll keep Ears in mind!

I’ve looked at Sloths, but not really understanding what it is. Is it a chaotic oscillator? Or an envelope/function source? Or neither…?

Good shout on the other stuff, I’ll look into those. Cheers!

ah, if you have a Field Kit already then I agree you don’t necessarily need an external input module even if you want to use some external sources.

I haven’t used Sloths (it’s on my DIY list), but my understanding is that it is a slow envelope/function source with some control but no way of fully controlling it. The triple version has three different versions built in with no control over the slowest ‘Sloth’. In my limited experience, NLC’s designs are really great when you don’t want complete control.

Yeah, @Net keeps recommending NLC to me! Never sure what any of them do though, so where to begin!

Sloth would indeed be a great way to begin for the kind of things you are doing! Once you get a workable setup, any NLC module is going to be an interesting addition I think.

I love my Triple Sloth. Only word of warning, it’s pretty subtle. It’s sort of like three chaos LFOs with outputs for x, y, and z movement of the chaos equation. Each of the three runs at a different speed, from slow to very very slow. It’s great for adding subtle changes over time, or using it with a voltage adder to create some unpredictability in other signals.

I’m curious about the Ansible / Plonk combination as well, although I’m not certain about utilizing the latter’s two-voice polyphony with the former—i.e., yeah, the Plonk has two voices, but only one trigger input (and you can’t trigger both voices at the same time). Any updates on how it worked out?

I decided to hold off on Plonk for now, partially because the shop from which I was planning on purchasing it does not have it in stock. I ended up ordering a 1010music bitbox instead, which should arrive early next week. I plan to use it with my grid, arc, and ansible. I will definitely post an update later next week with info about that combo. Then hopefully I will be able to acquire Plonk and give it a run in a few weeks…

very interested in how you find the bitbox, i am tempted toget one to use with my ansible, grid and arc, but have recently noticed quite a few being put up for sale on forums, so not sure what to expect

I got a pretty sweet deal on it, so I figure I won’t loose much if it doesn’t work out and I end up selling it. But I have high hopes! I’ll report back and try to squeeze in time capture some video after it arrives…

I have both Ansible and Plonk in my case. I love the Plonk, it’s my favourite drum module by far.

It is duophonic, but it’s not really multitimbral. In the default mode it uses the two voices so that sounds can ring out/decay after each trigger. There is a mode that uses one of the modulation inputs to change sound settings, and you can combine that with the triggers to make it seem like it’s multitimbral. You can also randomize parameters based on incoming cv.

With Ansible and Grid Kira works great for using this. You can trigger the Plonk and use the same track’s CV out to modulate the tone, or to change to a different saved setting on the Plonk and kind of fake having multiple full voices.

Also planning on using kria to try and do some mlr-like slice juggling with bitbox in atomic mode. Perhaps a continuation of this discussion: Idea : general purpose MLR-like sequencer

my pretty much default setup right for one voice is plonk + earthsea. the percussive/tonal “struck” sounds are perfect for making unqualtized loops that chatter within a patch. and you can activate the polyphony vibes by setting decay relative to how fast you are playing the grid, so some notes can overlap a little. it’s a very hands on approach and not really at all how ansible would work but thought i would share a plonk + monome application that feels really natural and nice.

this thread, along with the new to modular thread, have been so helpful and inspirational. i’ve been planning my modular journey for a while now but some very interesting developments (norns / crow) have made my decision making process a bit more interesting. any thoughts from ya’ll would be greatly appreciated. so far, i have a 84hp case with these modules

i really want a simple, but flexible tactile synthesizer. not planning on making generative patches or anything. originally i was planning on getting an es-8 and and using it with vcv rack to add utilities and explore in a studio context. now the norns ( i was fortunate to get one ) / crow combination look like it could repleace the es-8 on top of letting me take it out for live shows. which brings me to my next thought, tuning. i would like to be able to make custom scales and recall them so that the modular is in tune with the songs i perform. my songs are all sample based and i perform them with mlr / octatrack. what would be a good way to go about this? the empty 4hp on the left are intended for two crows, leaving me with 18 hp on the right

i’ve had some really fun performances with a laptop and two grids. one grid controlling mlr while the other controls Aalto using the m4l "notes’ patch. i essentially want to reccreate that setup with norns / modular.

thank you all again for all the inspiration and in case you read this far

For tuning I’ve actually been using Ableton’s built in tuner to figure out the spots in Mangrove’s Pitch and Fine where the combination is a standard root note like C. Then you could just tune the other Mangrove (or Just Friends) to that. I recently got Teletype and I’ve been experimenting with Just Type’s synthesis mode which makes this even easier since it’s by default tuned to C3. I just patch a cable out of Identity and then tune my Mangrove by ear.

thank you, i should have clarified, i meant quantizing the modular to play in tune with the songs i am performing on mlr / octatrack. is there a way to save and recal scales so that they are in tune with my songs in a live setting? and yeah i tune the modular with ableton when i’m at home

You should be able to do that with Ansible yeah, I know with the Grid you can store 16 different scales for use across either Kria or Meadowphysics.

okay awesome. i just got my ansible, i will explore the scale setup with it.