this is an album of drone music. specifically 12,000 seconds of drone music.

you can stream the album from bandcamp, or render the album yourself via SuperCollider or docker.

this album came about while learning about SuperCollider and making drones for the dronecaster norns script and picking off that beautifully curated artisinal drone menu. these are some of my favorite drone sounds that I’ve made. I made the album so I could listen to the drones away from my norns - on my bike or in the car. I hope you enjoy them as well :). here’s a little backstory of the drones:

starlids - symphonic, meek, radiant.

this drone came about when I was trying to re-create the sound of the Instruo Saich. I was finding that the sound I was making wasn’t getting close, but I leaned into the divergence and like it even more. this sound also became the basis of synthy, which gives it complete polyphony. for this drone I made it randomly polyphonic, sampling particular intervals of the root note at random frequency. I feel like the shifting tones parallel the nature of the sound.

toshiya - object-bound resonate space.

this drone is directly based of starlids, and essentially just replaces the sawtooth waves with sine waves. it gives it a much softer vibe. when I was looking for the description I saw “resonate space” and decided to add a droning resonater via Klank and it fit perfectly. this one is also slightly polyphonic and I changed the tone-space to encompass a bigger range of intervals.

mika - hum and beeps.

this drone is forked from Batuhan Bozkurt’s original, used in their sctweet album. I really liked the vibrating splatter of notes and built off that by creating a harmonic structure within it, creating a more dynamic tempo, and adding some droning bass notes.

coil - traversing the tunnels of goats.

the idea for this drone came while biking and listening to cars whoosh past me, sometimes on either side. that sound idea is the basis of the drone- where white noise starts on one side and randomly flips to the other side while modulating volume. to add more tonality I added a random switch that changes the white noise to a tone. everything is random so you’ll never know what’ll whoosh by next.

hecker - noisey, imaginary country, suspended animation.

this drone was an experiment in pure noise. there are a bunch of noise oscillators that are each heavily bandpassed around the given frequency. the filter-Q is always changing so sometimes it sounds tonal but very easily becomes noise. It was super exciting to see that you can pull tones out of noise (afterall white noise is a composition of all frequencies at equal power). later on I added a droning bass.

malone - thick, organ, stepped.

this drone was inspired by the description. I sought an organ-type sound and made it thicker by detuning them and stacking them in some interesting chord structures. to make them “stepped” I added in a random, synced, vibrato that got triggered whenever the chord changed. the chords are very drone-like - they don’t ever really resolve and the changes are very slow and not quantized.

sachiko - high-tone space-cutting.

this drone came about while trying to think about how I would teach SuperCollider for the workshop I gave this last summer. this drone was built up in a series of steps and I chose to use UGens that made each step obvious and interesting. so for filters I chose to go with the resonant ones which are easy to hear and fun to modulate. the main effect here is that random modulation of those filters, the panning and the delay, and gets very spacy.

dreamcrusher - chaotic, strobey, actually really nice IRL.

this drone was really inspired by the LocalIn docs for SuperCollider. at the bottom of that doc page is a little snippet for a tape player-esque feedback. that snippet was intriguing and I wanted to push all sorts of synth sounds through it, which became this drone. this drone also evolved into another script I wrote, icarus which bears a lot of similarity but more control and polyphony.

sunno - £XX,XXX worth of structural damage to the venue.

this one is definetly inspired by Sunn O))) of course, but also from the drone-building sessions in the norns study group where it was suggested to make this drone. it was a challenge to get something close without sounding too noisy. I took some inspiration from a sccode snippet for guitar feedback. I expanded on that so I could have multiple synthesized “guitars”, with varying feedback, with synchronized detuning as if the whole place is imploding during the performance.

starlids (reprise)

this is starlids again, but with much more portamento and a different interval structure to drone on with. a lot of this version was developed by a friend who I was teaching SuperCollider for the first time and they ended up coming up with some great little changes (namely the tone structure).

fork this album

feel free to copy all the code and make it into something else or part of something else. of course, if you have norns you already have all the code in dronecaster, ready to play.

bandcamp offer codes

redeem here.

yl65-bl2a 3eyb-xmw7 a6um-egd5 rzw9-u34r a2jk-exjd j64a-g49e 7nsr-uqgu vdqw-ez2q fj8c-utxz mbn4-e7mg 9adq-3ek3 yfq6-cug4 35b2-cpfm d6vd-xre6 pzbe-jdfy 82vb-yd5f h759-g7at jw7z-3jub 6s5u-hkax nhra-j8fp lelr-krjn q8s5-gl9e bn4b-umgu 5wpl-e62q rj94-ugxz af2h-eumg 8alj-35k3 7kw8-urhr v3jy-elqd 7ag3-uagc lfkl-j7rx 453q-kexq c7v6-guat elbk-3vub gca2-x9ax 2hf5-jtfp dqdb-k2jn p84m-gh9e jkrq-vc7y 63m7-gwaf kd8v-3x3a nqkr-xqd7 mg35-e8w5 bkxg-u2hr 5nez-ehqd ba6n-uegc d7yx-jurx s5uj-k5xq srm8-yfat v72c-efvg 65le-3az3 krp9-c784 nmfn-we7m lgax-h3p6 ekfj-vw7y gn5r-ysaf yd65-b43a 2jyb-xmd7 agum-etw5 rtw9-ubhr xqx7-63qn jgcv-yx6e 72sr-uq8u mlqw-e93q fe8c-utlz 57n4-envg gmdq-3ez3 yrq6-cu84 2vru-w57m dgvd-xrp6 ptbe-js7y hmue-kalq hb59-gn5t qx7z-3jnb 945u-h65x ns7v-vy7p wjlr-krqn e9s5-g46e b24b-um8u axpl-ez3q re94-uglz ar2h-e7vg v9nv-5yd5 7yw8-ur4r mujy-e4jd fmg3-ua8c lrkl-jnbx cv3q-kelq cbv6-g75t edbk-3vnb 8ha2-hk5x 2cf5-j87p dpdb-k2qn x9ml-h2e6

63 Likes

Only 310 seconds in and loving this. Thanks @infinitedigits!

(The liner notes are great too, very inspired to dive in. )

3 Likes

twenty chars of slow clap

6 Likes

it’s kinda funny that you named one of the songs dreamcrusher since dreamcrusher is a well known noise musician

2 Likes

oh my, those elephants are soooooo lovely. thank you for releasing this @infinitedigits.

2 Likes

Dronecaster began as overt homage to drone innovators, so I believe this was intentional!

2 Likes

Beautiful!
I used a2jk-exjd (the fourth code), thank you!

1 Like

Redeemed. Thanks, what I have heard so far is lovely stuff :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you for these wonderful drones,

And thanks for the codes!
I used krp9-c784

1 Like

lgax-h3p6

Much appreciated! I have some long flights tomorrow.

1 Like

Thank you, so interesting! I used agum-etw5.

1 Like

Thank you! I look forward to this.

Used code b24b-um8u

1 Like

Awesome! Enjoying Dronecaster, cool to have them off norns as well. I used 7yw8-ur4r.

1 Like

truly inspiring. — thank you for giving so much to this community.

2 Likes

Grabbed 5nez-ehqd, thanks!

1 Like

I thought this was something related to @taylor12k 's 12k label when I read the thread title :wink:

Very nice stuff, I used 7kw8-urhr :+1:

1 Like

Thank you so much! Can’t wait to dig in to this

I’ve used this code:

1 Like

Thanks for this :slight_smile: I listened one via the dronecaster thread I think, when you were streaming it for a long drive. Looking forward to listening more. I used code hmue-kalq

2 Likes

Thanks for the track descriptions and this v9nv-5yd5. Cool artwork… And, most importantly, I’m enjoying listening. :v: Nice work all around.

1 Like

[

Thank you - what an incredible and overwhelmingly generous album!

1 Like