16n Faderbank: build help, dev suggestions

talk to me of not having a single M2.5 screw to fix the panels, and the closest stock being 6 days of postal service away :smiley:

(otherwise, the build was very easy.)

Does anyone know where to get buchla style fader caps?

@Jonathan_Riley, this place was recommended by @shellfritsch.

Thanks for reminding me of these. My initial prototype’s caps keep cracking (was purchased from a different vendor). It is driving me CRAZY! Just ordered some of these delicious ones. :slight_smile:

I’m trying to install it but it doesn’t seem to work. I connect the Teletype to my Mac, double click update_firmware.command , after a few seconds, it asks me to confirm overwrite by pressing the button, I do but I have the impression that doesn’t have any effect… I reboot but it still the old firmware A235649,FB.ON “Unknown word”. Is there another way to update the firmware on Teletype ?

edit : I tried dfu-programmer at32uc3b0512 read > teletype.hex
dfu-programmer at32uc3b0512 start same issue

which version you had prior to the update? 3.0 or a beta?
double check that it’s using the updated hex file, not previous version.

I checked and I think I was using the stable release 3.0 so, the firmware is indeed loaded, but it doesn’t know FB.ON, FB.CC, FB.OFF That’s strange, I downloaded the zip and hex files you posted yesterday

i’ll double check in a bit

you still have the old hex file somewhere, and that’s what it’s flashing (A235649 is the latest beta from the 3.+ thread, not 3.0 release). i just flashed using both the hex and the zip i posted and both are the new versions. try deleting your teletype.hex and download it again.

Thanks, I don’t know what happened exactly, but now it’s working. I re-dl the .hex The Teletype displays
“TELETYPE 16N MIDI” :slight_smile:

It’s cool to have these new midi operators, I just tested them.
I wanted to send the notes to a quantizer but I realized that the 16n is not recognized by Hermod, too bad. I need to buy a mini jack to din adapter…

why quantizer, you’re already dealing with quantized MIDI notes?

a nice thing about using teletype as a quantizer is you can apply additional transformations, create your own scales, switch between them easily, transpose etc.

or do something crazier, like creating note trains where number of pulses or their duration is proportional to the pitch, or create a MIDI echo effect, or emulate ADSR etc etc.

That’s right but I was doing a quick test, so I only filled the 4 pattern banks with random values and then L 0 3: FB.ON 17 PN.NEXT I 127 that’s why I needed a scale quantizer :slight_smile:

ah i see. you could use one of the pattern banks as your scale. say if you use pattern bank 3 for that, then you could fill values 0-11 with your scale notes and then change it like this:

L 0 2: SCRIPT 2

I PN.NEXT I; B * 12 / I 12
FB.ON 17 + B PN 3 % I 12 127

variable B is used to preserve the octave. if you want to have less than 12 notes in your scale change 12 in the last line to the number of notes in your scale.

a cool thing to do is use the param knob as octave switcher. add this line after the first line in script 2: B + B SCL 0 V 10 0 3 PARAM (sorry, derailing the thread - should probably start a new thread for teletype/16n scripts).

That’s brilliant, thanks for sharing!
Using the Teletype as a scale quantizer, I never tried that. This piece of code is very interesting.
I will try this scene tomorrow :slight_smile:

Regarding the Midi to I2C that I mentioned as an idea last week on this thread, I looked at the firmware code today, apparently the Faderbank is already set to « read » incoming Midi messages but I have no idea how to format the message that will be sent over the I2C bus (to an ER-301). Honestly, I learned LUA in January but I don’t know much about C etc.

The idea was: converting notes on/off to SC.TR and continuous controllers to SC.CV (on top of sixteen SC.CV values reserved for the faders) and use the Faderbank as a bridge.

If anybody wants to help creating that or at least can give me a clue so I can try to do it by myself, I would really appreciate, that would be awesome for ER-301 users, TXo users maybe… I’m sure the 16n is a great interface for doing that. (Or can the Enigma do that @okyeron and @scanner_darkly ? , I know it’s still in development, sorry for asking :slight_smile:)

N.B: I know that would not work with a « Slave » faderbank but I have three of them and one is set as Master, it would be connected directly to the 301

i’m planning to add that and have options to send to just friends and txo as well (as a side note, not planning to make enigma an i2c leader at this point).

Fantastic. I can’t wait :blush:

I don’t have my 16n yet and I don’t have Teletype, so apologies for the dumb question: This means that I could feed the CV/Gate outs of Eurorack modules like Marbles or ER-101/102 to Teletype and the 16n would send the MIDI-Data over USB, so I could record the MIDI in Ableton?

You would probably need a TXi if you want to convert multiple voltages and not only gates, but it should work.

You can also use a module like “General CV” for converting CV/Gate (not generated by Teletype) to Midi.