16n Firmware 2.0.1: release and official thread

I’d like to announce the release of 16n Firmware 2.0.1!

That’s right: big version 2. Now, before you get all excited: this adds no new functionality to the hardware of the device. It also will have no impact on people only using the CV outputs of the device.

However, it does make one huge change going forward: configuring the device no longer requires compiling the firmware, or using Arduino IDE. Instead, all configuration can be done in a web browser.

Upgrading to firmware 2.0.0+ will erase any custom channels/settings you have on the device. Sorry. However: you should be able to get them back super fast. And then, from that point on, settings will persist between firmware upgrades.

Before I tell you how to upgrade, here’s the editor in action, with everything that’s changed:

How to upgrade

These instructions apply to upgrading standard 16n hardware/firmware. If you have a board running any kind of custom firmware, this may not work. If you’re not sure, speak to your builder who flashed it in the first place.

From now on, I no longer recommend compiling firmware yourself, unless you are highly confident of that. Instead, recommend process is:

• download the .hex file for the appropriate release from the releases page
  • download a standalone version of Teensy Loader
  • follow the instructions on the wiki for how to flash your 16n
  • once flashed, visit the editor, and configure your faders, and calibrate to taste.

It is likely you will need to adjust the maximum (but not minimum) fader calibrations via the editor. You might need to bring the upper calibration figure down to something in the 7000s. Have a fiddle and see what works for you.

Also, note that the recently overhauled Github Wiki for the project is your best source of documentation, user guide, and so forth.

I hope that this makes for a significant quality of life for users and makers going forward; it’s a good foundation to build on. Needless to say, the editor itself is open source.

The hex file is available from the Github Releases Page for the firmware/hardware.

Thanks to all the alpha testers who helped check this out for me; it was really appreciated.

edit log

• updated top post to reference v2.0.1, which solves issues with LC boards.
49 Likes

Thanks for this @infovore.

I’m having trouble however… I followed the instructions and got the new firmware loaded onto the 16n. The Teensy loader said it reprogramed it and rebooted. My computer doesn’t see the 16n now though (nor Google Chrome). I tried frashing it a few times and unplugging, etc. Any ideas?

It’s a build from Michigan Synth Works and it’s about 6 months old.

Ben

2 Likes

Are you certain you pressed the little white button on the Teensy?

Yeah. I press the white button and then the Teensy software flashes it and says that the reboot was successful.

The latest MSW uses a teensyLC which is way more limited and unfortunately doesn’t play well with this project. I got it to detect the device once, then nothing when I tried to save the configuration, couldn’t reproduce the detection again so far. Tried various compile settings. I’m wondering if we could just replace the teensy with a 3.2, not really a prio for me though.

@infovore congrats for the excellent work! Sure going the check out the source sometime.

3 Likes

Ah damn. I was afraid it might be something like that. Did you have luck reinstalling an old firmware to get a functioning unit again?

Yeah it’s weird cause usb midi is actually working.

Reflashing is no biggie with arduino and teensy loader set to teensyLC and midi, but i believe MSW even provide hex files on their website, go check on the product page. I can send you one tomorrow otherwise, as I’m not with my computer right now.

1 Like

Yes, hex file is on the msw product page, that should do the trick.

1 Like

Cool thanks. I seem to have restored it.
Disappointing to not be able to load V2, but there it is.

So I did my best to clarify that yes, this is for Teensy 3.2s only, because that’s what the official BOM says, and if you’re not sure what’s in your 16n because you didn’t make it yourself, you should speak to your manufacturer. I should probably point MSW at this, but I don’t know if they’ve made an other changes to the layout other than moving to an LC.

The downside to the “just flash this hex file” approach is you have to know you’re flashing a hex file compiled for your board. I can’t be responsible for all the 16n derivatives out there. You can still always compile from scratch if you really want to, but that still entails knowing what dev board is inside your Teensy.

The LC does a few interesting things with its EEPROM storage compared to the 3.x; I think it would be fine, but not clear. I can give somebody with an MSW build an LC hex file to try, blind, but no promises it’ll work.

5 Likes

I’m happy to be the Guinea pig for an LC test build

2 Likes

i look forward to see if there is a fix for the MSW 16n.
that’s what i have as well.
:slight_smile:

2 Likes

Yeah I’m happy to test as Michigan Synth Works one as well. Now that I know I can flash it back it’s cool.

Ohh Svelte, nice. I’m building up my new site in svelte/sapper right now and really enjoying it.

1 Like

So not all MSW 16n’s use the LC board as that’s where I got mine and it flashed just fine.

1 Like

For reference: The ones with switchable pull ups do.

2 Likes

My recent purchase of MSW has the version on bottom sticker (1.34LC). It is from Dec 19 so will hold off until new version is tested by a smarter person than me!

just did the update, it went smooth. so much easy now to setup the 16n with the editor. thanks so much for the firmware!

This is very exciting. Updated without any issues. Thanks for making this. I like to use my 16n for modular and VSTs so being able to change settings quickly will make things a lot smoother.

1 Like

Ah man def a bummer as I have a MSW 16n as well and have the same issue as everyone else.

1 Like