16n is a bank of faders [release thread] [current version:1.32]

I’ve just pushed out the 1.32 release.

All the hardware is unchanged. This release just fixes I2C, adds a ‘flip’ config option to invert the faders for upside-down use, and fixes the panel DXFs to have the right size holes.

I note that “fixes I2C” is more significant for some of you than others.

While we’re on the topic of i2c addresses, is there anyone else who thinks it might be useful to have multiple addresses reserved for faderbanks, similarly to how ER-301 and the teletype expanders have multiple addresses? I built two 16ns and while I currently only have one hooked up via i2c, I’d prefer to have both connected to the teletype.

Yes, it’s been discussed here https://github.com/16n-faderbank/16n/issues/16 :slight_smile:

Whoops, I should really remember to look for github issues first :slight_smile:

for flipping i think we should just add a tt op FB.FLIP, this way no need to rebuild/have 2 different versions of 16n firmware. i can add that when i get a chance.

Thanks ! And about adding more addresses for the faderbanks (0x35 etc), do you think it’s possible ?

it’s not an alternate version. It’s just the latest version. it should have been in to begin with! By which I mean: it is also of use for people using MIDI.

sorry, i misunderstood then - how is the option set?

it’s possible but it would require having some way to choose which address 16n would use. not sure if there is a way to do that without having to recompile firmware.

Ah, I think I see your point. It’s set at build time in the config.h file. So: it’s not a thing you’d toggle on and off a lot. But it is a thing you might still want to permanently set on the object (until you reflash it), hence making it a config option, like REV before it. (A USB bootloader really helps with firmware alteration, as opposed to more serious programming tools).

yeah that’s how i understood it and what i meant as having to build a different version of firmware with the option changed to flipped. with teletype op you wouldn’t need to, all conversion would be done on the teletype side. but yeah i can see how it would still be useful for 16n in master mode and for MIDI (which would need to be converted on 16n itself).

I understand. Yes, on the 16n side, that means recompiling the firmware with the new address, modifying a couple of lines or maybe a variable in configuration.h (my faderbank is always connected to the computer for power, so recompiling takes a few seconds with the Arduino software) It would give the possibility to use two faderbanks on the same I2C bus, that would be great. But I guess that implies more changes in the Teletype firmware than just adding more addresses (?) One could use FB 1 to 16 for the first faderbank, then FB 17 to 32 for the second one etc.

yeah, that would require a change in teletype firmware.

The other option for using two faderbanks on the same I2C bus being: two masters on the same bus, TT and 16n at the same time, but I understand that’s a possible source of problems :slight_smile: as discussed here

yeah that would be a possible workaround but this will likely cause issues with a multi leader set up.

I have two faderbanks here, I will try this out tomorrow, we’ll see what happens (one in slave mode for TT and the other in master mode for the Er-301) :slight_smile:

I’m going to want a method for flipping my 16n that doesn’t require teletype and I’m fine with flashing a different firmware or whatever is necessary to accomplish it. So, if a new teletype op is added or whatever, that’s fine but I hope it isn’t the only available method.

i didn’t consider that MIDI would also need to be flipped, which means it has to be done on faderbank. so having 2 versions of faderbank to support flipping will still be required. what this means is that a teletype op could simply be a way to change it dynamically, in addition to the header setting on faderbank firmware (which would become the default setting).

also i should clarify - just throwing ideas, i2c is not the main 16n feature, adding anything to firmware might not be something the 16n creators want to do (also maybe we should have a separate thread for 16n/i2c specific discussions? don’t want to derail the main thread).

Well… it doesn’t work :smiley: I’ll use the second faderbank for Midi or CV

I was thinking of mainly the nifty quantization OPS like NOTE and SCALE.

FYI - @Nordseele posted a new thread for 16n hacking and hardware build questions, etc. here: