16n is a bank of faders [release thread] [current version:1.32]

I’m having trouble getting my 16n to talk to my ER-301 in master mode. I had teletype integration working without issues, so I think I got the basic connection right. Just trying to confirm that I’m not missing something stupid:

I’ve downloaded the current firmware from github (post “i2c doesn’t work” update), added in the #define MASTER 1 line in config.h and then flashed it to 16n. Then I connected it to the ER-301, powered on my modular, confirmed that the i2c slave address on the ER-301 was set to 0x31 (and was running the most current firmware 0.4.11) and then added a SC.CV unit to a chain with port set to 1. My assumption was that this was how the data was transmitted and that if I moved the first fader, I should see a corresponding change in value.

Is there something I missed? I’ll triple check all connections again, I guess :frowning:

@x2mirko Have you soldered the 4,7k pull-up resistors on the 16n ? They’re needed in master mode

I knew I forgot something! :smiley:

It should work once they’re soldered on, but you should avoid connecting this “Master” faderbank directly to the TT or to the same bus.

Quick note: the TXb busboards with the stereo i2c jacks will be hitting my web store on Monday at 2 PM PST. Full details are here:

Test build success!

(gotta get some white/gray “nub” switchcaps)

BTW these are switch caps from Tadya
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/toggle-switch-handle-cap-red.html
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/toggle-switch-handle-cap-black.html
https://www.taydaelectronics.com/toggle-switch-handle-cap-white.html

Late to the address party - but ran into all the address problems tonight :slight_smile:

There’s a list of i2c addresses in the monome ecosystem here:

0x35 is no good because it’s already assigned (TETRAPAD). So additional devices would need to use the 0x40 or 0x50 range perhaps?

I’ve just put my flag down for 0x55 to use for enigma. :grin:

I’m going to send up a issue on github to put the 16n i2c address in config.h

Uploaded the latest firmware. Testing midi on chrome shows all 16 channels being controlled by fader 1. No other faders register. Not being seen by the teletype either. This build is pre-multiplexer. What flag do I need to change?

i think

config.h
uncomment this:
// #define V125

yes, what @okyeron said. If you uncomment the line mentioned in config.h so that V125 is defined, and flash that, your board should work correctly. (I’ve tested the latest build on my own 1.25 hardware and it worked correctly).

I’m wary of making the i2c address changeable, mainly because one of the key uses - Teletype - requires it using a fixed address that is baked into the TT firmware.

We could move it into config.h, make the default 0x34, and then leave a sternly-worded comment about only changing this if you know what you’re doing.

Agree completely.

FWIW - I’m looking at this from a development perspective - hacking firmware code on other devices that will talk to 16n.

Holy smokes. I got the Txb, but it seemed like the reverse cables sold out immediately. Pretty nutty!

I can probably help with cables. PM me.

Well damn, that was fast. Thought I’d signed up for that notification, guess not.

But since I’ll only be controlling the ER301 with the 16n, i guess an active hub isnt necessary and basically i could just wire a header to a TRS cable and get the functionality?

Yes, exactly. I built something similar with a stereo jack on a 2hp panel. Don’t forget the pull-up resistors on the 16n :slight_smile:

Perhaps BPCmusic will also release the files at some point and you can build your own, idk… anyway you don’t need an active hub if you connect the 16n directly to the 301

from the TXb product page:

The TXb is an Open Source module. Build one yourself; all details will be on the TXb GitHub Project Site once we’re shipping.

Please, could you elaborate where we should put those? I‘ll be in the same situation as @leterell soon.

R17 and R18 to the right of the teensy (as per https://github.com/16n-faderbank/16n/tree/master/build).

like @ermina says - they’re the two resistors either side of the four diodes, marked DNP on the board. The build guide is your friend!