16n is a bank of faders [release thread] [current version:1.33]

The beauty of this project is that it’s open source – the original faderbank design just had midi, then the CV was added later. I’m sure it’s somehow possible, but I’m guessing it would be quite a redesign.

2 Likes

There might be, if you put taller standoffs on the top half, and don’t push the fader caps on all the way. But I wouldn’t recommend the latter. It’s really designed to have the Teensy permanently attached.

0 Likes

Probably. There was a 500+ post thread in which many people had ideas, and some got incorporated, and others didn’t, and there was a lot of “wouldn’t it be neat if”. Would it be possible: quite possibly; I’m not sure how to do the gate outputs, but the buttons aren’t so bad. You’re looking at another multiplexer, a couple more pins for that, and then you have to work out how to do sixteen latching digital outs, which is hard, plus find space for jacks and buttons and reroute the entire board. It’s up to you. It’s certainly a good base for doing that too, but it’s not exactly an easy or obvious move.

I refer to my previous comments about feature-creep on this project. You are welcome to work on that new idea; all the information and materials you’d need to do so are available.

1 Like

All things being equal, 16 extra gates would be nice to have. The ER-301 uses comparators to detect gates—so you can also devote some faderbank channels as triggers. Also recommend the Addac 304–small and inexpensive source of gates.

0 Likes

Just came to say 16n works perfectly with my ER301 and I’m so thrilled. Thanks to everyone involved!

7 Likes

via i2c? or just regular cv?

0 Likes

I2c via txb. Really cool stuff.

1 Like

I noticed something, the device stops sending over midi on channel 3 with the 1.32 firmware, this changes to channel 2 with the master version. Going back to 1.31 they all work normy

2 Likes

Hang on; this needs more clarity: by default, it should be sending on MIDI channel 1 for all faders. This is set in config.h in usb_channels and trs_channels. Unless these have been changed?

And, when you say “1.32 firmware” - do you mean the compiled hex, or did you compile form source yourself?

0 Likes

edit

I just tested this on another unit and it looks like there is something up with the mux in the other one, I cant repeat the issue…

0 Likes

Yeah, I also tested this and cannot reproduce: it behaves identically over MIDI regardless of MASTER mode. So that leads me to thinking… “reflow the mux”?

0 Likes

they’re machine stuffed. Could be a bad part

0 Likes

Please help recommend what kind of 3.5mm jack to USB cable is needed to make the connection from the 16n to my PC.

0 Likes

I think you just use the usb out of the teensy. MIDI over stereo 3.5 trs is for the midi din adapters or a breakout of some sort. And there’s the 3.5 mm i2c to use with your txb.

5 Likes

Jonny is correct.

USBmidi goes in/out on USB to the teensy. Hardware midi is out only on the minijack (on the right side) - with which you would want a MIDI minijack-to-DIN adapter to connect to DIN-MIDI devices or just a regular stereo cable to Arturia/Korg things with minijack midi inputs (switch selector on the front to choose between Arturia and Korg wiring)

0 Likes

I modded my 4ms Pod 60 to take an external I2c connection and it works great! A tidy little system that’s lots of fun.

35 Likes

awesome. I’ll do the same as well.

1 Like

just wanted to say a huge thank you to all of you involved in the making of the 16n faderbank. I got to spend some time with my modular and it has been brought to life by this hands-on interface. My system is much more playable now, it will finally become a live tool and not only a sound-design contraption.

5 Likes

I’m plugging my 16n into a TXb and from Teletype using firmware with Midi 16n support I’m typing “Fader x” to poll the value of a slider (replace x with 1 let’s say) and my Teletype is freezing. I’ve had this happen before when I had a device plugged in incorrectly on the i2c side of things, but I can’t flip the connection for a TXb jack.

Any ideas?

0 Likes

Can you flip the i2c cable on the back of the TXb?

0 Likes