16n is a bank of faders [release thread]

I saw this as a source for those Buchla-like fader caps in another thread?

2 Likes

the mammoth ones have a different shape and are made from a less stretchy rubber - prone to splitting.

2 Likes

Great! thanks a lot :pray:

would it be beneficial to have a new thread dedicated to 16n diy/group-buy convos?
could be nice to keep this one open for convos related to usage + firmware dev…

14 Likes

The 74HC4067 seems to be missing from the BOM on octopart (as well as the teensy, which I suppose is a lot more obvious). Or am I missing something?

not specifically. It’ll make your life easier, but all the I2C is is a 3.5mm stereo jack with SCL/SDA broken out. You could wire up your own adapter if you want.

I’d note that I’m not the best person to speak to about I2C - it is a much more complex use case than the others, and you need to choose at the point you flash the firmware whether the device is in MASTER mode (eg, for a an ER-301) or not (for Ansible/monome ecosystem). The latter is the default, iirc. I2C also cannot be hotplugged.

2 Likes

I think you’re right. I’ll sort that out asap.

Regarding groupbuy/sales chat: I think that’s better in another thread. I see @Rodrigo has made an EU thread, for instance. I’d also suggest that you put those into the Trade category. Yes, that will hide them from the front page by default, but it also means you have to be a signed-up user with some history to view them. I don’t want to drown lines in 16n purchasing chat, and I think ‘Trade’ is appropriate given that money is changing hands.

Not my call to make, but a suggestion. It’s good you’re enthusiastic, though.

9 Likes

Update, @x2mirko - the CD74HC4067 is the last item on the Octopart BOM.

Aha! The README was linking to the old Octopart BOM; the electronics README correctly linked it. I’ve fixed that on Github now. Apologies.

oh man you have no idea

In short: yes, I have considered that in various forms, as has @shellfritsch. None of this release stops that happening at some point, but right now, this allows the enthusiastic to go ahead and adopt early. Time and other commitments our end meant that it wasn’t worth blocking release for that.

Right now, a good model to think about is Ornament and Crime, which has had success via small runs of fanufacture, DIY, and spawning other open-source products.

Thanks! Do you happen to know if there were other differences between the versions? I ordered the parts already using the old bom (plus the multiplexer and teensy). I compared it with the bom.csv and didn’t find other changes, but I could of course have missed something.

the mux version has… an extra 100n cap for the mux, and doesn’t need nearly so many standoffs under the Teensy. I would hope you rounded up to, say, 10 100ns rather than ordering 8… Oh, and the standoffs are a different size - M2.5, not M2 - and there are more of them.

Argh, I am sorry you ordered from the wrong version. I thought I’d caught all of this - but one link has caused this problem!

1 Like

Thanks for letting me know and don’t worry about it. It’s really no problem at all. I did order extra 100n caps - I always order extras for smd builds, as I lose one or two of these things way too often. So I just have to pay some attention and not lose any this time and I’ll have enough :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll just pick up some of the right standoffs next time i’m in town and it’s all sorted.

edit: Actually, upon checking, the standoff size was already the same. At least the ones I ordered are M2.5 and it was 8 each, just like in the new BOM. So even less of an issue, then.

Curious how the cv works on this.

Hey, there was a request to move the group buy discussion to other threads. It would be polite if folks would honor it.

2 Likes

So excited this is finally materializing!
Three cheers for all those who make it happen!

1 Like

FYI - a bunch of previous responses on this thread got moved to a new “16n-faderbank-group-buys” thread, but were not re-linked above.

https://llllllll.co/t/16n-faderbank-group-buys/18672/31

1 Like

Well, the PDF of the schematic is in the repo if you don’t have EAGLE.

But in human language:

• the 5V in from your USB power adapter or computer is sent to one input of the faders; the fader wiper works between it and ground. Simple voltage divider, buffered to the output by the MCP6004 with a 1k impedance resistor. There’s a jack socket at the edge behind each fader.
  • Separately, the divided voltage is also sent into a voltage divider circuit to scale it to 0-3.2vish. This goes into the Teensy via a multiplexer, and is used to drive the USB and jack MIDI outputs, as well as the I2C.

Did you have something else in mind when you said “how the CV works”? Some of the videos linked off the site are using the CV outs direct.

3 Likes

The slider caps on the first post, where can I find them?

I found mine on eBay; you can also find them on AliExpress. Any fadercap for a 4mm fader pin will fit - there are lots of different styles out there to suit all tastes.

1 Like