2 x Mangrove vs complex oscillator

ahhh, that kind. fair enough! I was just tuning my Mangrove to my other synths earlier and found it remarkably simple, hence the question :+1:

yes, thirds, fifths, sixths, etc., it is not the most stable oscillator, as I said because of the twisted formants.
I had a similar issue with the Verbos Complex, it sounded queasy and drifting.

interesting! that hasn’t been my experience at all. to my ears, Mangrove stayed perfectly in tune over the course of the looper piece I recorded a month ago. granted, I’m usually not bothered by variations on the order of a few cents.

Agree, not a problem on a few cents of pitch being off, desirable even.
Let me add, I am really trying to like having 2 Mangroves, I’ll give them a try for a while, modular is based on individual taste as we all know, nothing fits everyone. The biggest challenge I found in modular the past few years is finding the right combination of modules that blend together the best.

It is worth the time and effort to calibrate/recalibrate! I had a similar experience, my mangrove drifted into queasy territory a few months after purchasing it, and recalibration made it much more pleasant to use with other oscs.

3 Likes

I’ve gone through some trouble with my pair of Mangroves, but I’m in good shape now. Here’s some of the wisdom I’ve collected on this forum:

1. Attach them to your voltage source first and make sure that source isn’t outputting any voltage (set to 0v). The pitch jumps a little when the volt/octave is plugged in. This is a known ‘flaw’ that Trent has acknowledged.

2. They drift a little bit, but are super stable after an hour, faster when the weather is warmer probably. You should be somewhat okay after about 10-15 minutes.

3. If you find that the pitch doesn’t track as well as you’d like between octaves, you need to trim/calibrate, which can be a tricky process. I got some tips for this :

6 Likes

thanks, will try, I have the Mordax DATA - spectrum analyzer feature.

i’ve a pair of Just Friends and i feel good :slight_smile:
ahahahha…btw had mangrove and had the same feeling about paring it with others vco, i prefer a couple of STO + cold mac for example

but if i’ve to choose a complex now i’ll take Instruo CS-L

I’ve also noticed @Jonny points with my Mangrove. After it’s been given an hour or so to warm up mine does seem to track well. The ‘pitch jump’ when plugging in V/8 really threw me for a while!

@weepwow If you’ve not checked it out yet, Plaits can do a lot of ‘complex’ osc stuff (wavefolding, FM etc.), and it’s rock solid tuning wise (joys of digital!).

1 Like

Getting a better feel now for compatible tuning with the 2 Mangroves in my system (A-ok), with Sisters and Cold Mac, w/ (ordered Just Friends today) possibly getting a 2nd Sisters who knows. Overall very pleased at the prospect of creative sound ideas these great modules will be able to conjure up, I haven’t even had them for a month yet. (never enough time to spend). I am definitely on the mannequins bandwagon.

2 Likes

Awesome, glad you were able to get it sounding good!

I don’t have two Mangroves so I can’t speak to using a pair a a complex oscillator, but that concept is kind of how I feel when I patch the Mangrove and Three Sisters together. I’ve been thinking about Sisters as a carrier oscillator more than a filter, Mangrove as the modulator, and it opens up a lot of interesting timbres. Waveshaping on the Mangrove can almost be considered an equivalent for wavefolding but with a different sonic flavor.

1 Like

I think in the long run, I will be down to just one mangrove. Its hard to justify having 2 of anything except for basic utility modules – VCA’s, adsrs, mixers etc. It’s an experiment for now.
So much good variety available in eurorack to have 2 of the same VCO’s, speaking for myself.

I’m sure we can find a good home for the second one if the time comes. :smiley:

1 Like

I can totally relate as someone who hesitantly just ordered a second Mangrove. I’ve vowed to keep my rack contained to a single case(6U 104hp), so it’s difficult to justify duplicates. However, the good people of this community have been pretty convincing so we’ll see how it goes.

@analogue01 is making me want 3 Mangroves.

2 Likes

2X Mangrove + Instruo CS-L

1 Like

I’m afraid to ask for an example…

2 Likes

ha! what did i do (other than post my modulargird)? :wink:

1 Like

Get a Mangrove and a Three Sisters, which can be a lovely Filter or self-oscillate and give you some Cool Sounds too. There, no doubles, problem solved.

1 Like