'20 characters of' meaning

Obtuse Gen X’er here and can’t keep up with the lingo these days…but what does ‘20 characters of’ mean exactly? Or from where does it come? E.g.:

20 characters of thanks
20 characters of boom
20 characters of yikes

Can’t recall ever running across this one before. Thanks!

3 Likes

20 is the minimum number of characters required for a post on this forum, meant to avoid posts like “First!” or “^This”.

So when someone has something short to say, they will just extend it to “20 characters of thanks!”

5 Likes

It’s both mildly annoying and funny that “twenty characters” has become something of a meme; it’s often not hard to extend even a “thanks” into something both meaningful and longer than 20 characters, or just to click the heart-react.

17 Likes

this…

4 Likes

Dang, I thought this thread was going to be about deep philosophical thoughts compressed into 20 characters of text.

Anyone feel like giving that a go?

11 Likes

20 characters of 20 characters is accurately described by this

1 Like

Nothing is permanent

3 Likes

But how did you write only four characters of ‘this’?

1 Like

Question your truths

2 Likes

i am not and i am meaning

2 Likes

like this?

3 Likes

Or this…

1 Like

Thats hack based on the way how the system is showing only three dots even if you add 20 characters (or whatever amount) of dots

2 Likes

Also & nbsp; (without the space), the html code for a non-breaking space, counts as 6 instead of 1.

3 Likes

And since the cat’s out of the bag with regard to hacking around it, the constraint now remains mainly as a quirk.

“20 characters of feels like home”.

3 Likes

I wonder if there’s scope for a 20 Characters of LCRP? :thinking:

3 Likes

Are there other lines memes? Non-decaf coffee maybe?

1 Like

Before it became a new thing, “crow” was a meme of sorts.

1 Like

20 characters of ‘houseplant’

4 Likes

I even seem to remember that, before Crow became the new meme, the new thing was the meme.

7 Likes