I totally forgot I made this thread a while back. I’ve been bumping the ///pictures/// thread like crazy with all my 3d prints.
For now I’ll stick the really 3d-printed posts here (including a couple of unification pics from the other thread).
First, my modified Dicer Mount which I adapted to be suitable for a DIY DJ Crossfader:
Then I designed and printed a bigger grip/holder for my Naiant mic, that I use for friction/feedback playing on snare:
I’m still iterating over the design, but the version I have feels really good as it stands.
Now onto some new pics…
First, I got really anal retentive over the “lag” on my DIY crossfader. Even though I’m using an external ADC (ADS1115) and the Teensy code I wrote has a calibration routine, I found that I had about 2mm of dead space at each end of the fader throw. I took out a multimeter and figured out that for the first 2mm (or so) of the fader, the values of the slider pot actually move backwards!
Eventually I want to upgrade this to a fancy Rane Magnetic/Contactless Fader, but for now I printed up a bunch of little shims in various sizes to physically solve the problem:
Here one is inserted into the fader:
(as an aside, this approach actually worked too well, so I came up with some clever Max patching to apply a schmitt trigger to the amplitude scaling, so it cuts in immediately, and then cuts out at a higher threshold than it cut in, for best-of-both-worlds response)
Next up, I got the idea to make a little housing/weight for my Leafcutter John contact mic so that I can easily move it on/off the snare (or other surfaces) without having to use adhesives. I’m surprised I’ve not come across this before, but after iterating over it around 5 times I got something pretty slick:
The sketches and a few of the prototypes:
An inset 8mm nut to hold the “screw hat” on, as well as add a bit of extra weight:
The outer body is threaded for 20mm / 2.5, so I was able to just screw this huge nut onto:
Here it is fully assembled:
The bottom, with 6 holes for some neodymium magnets which I’ve ordered off eBay. I may also experiment with some inserted Moongels too, to kind of mechanically hold it put too:
I played with dimensions a ton, getting it super low profile, so only a tiny bit of the contact mic sticks out:
Here it is on the drum. The idea will be to keep it hanging off the side of the drum until I want it, then pivot it over and go to town, then move it out of the way again.
Quick demo video:
It weighs 83grams, which is heavy enough to keep it put, but not so heavy that it dampens the mic. Will see how the magnets respond, as it would be great to be able to slap it onto a (non-horizontal) metal surface easily too.
If anyone is interested I can share the .stl file, but still working on it I think.