53 aalto patches (free download)

(i cross-post on the madrona labs forum).

53 self-running aalto patches to download for free.
tracks are snippets, every patch is one instance of aalto.
patches are in the lyrics : copy and paste to aalto.

except for the outro (i’ve turned some knobs here and there at some point during recording), there’s no external input to aalto.
many years ago a member of the madronalabs forum offers aalto patches to dl from bandcamp using the lyrics trick. does someone know his name ? i’d like to give credit.

i hope you’ll have fun playing with them and/or i hope you can find something usefull to do with these patches. if you record something you like, or if you find a useful patch, or …, please share your findings here, as i’m very curious to hear what could happen with this material.
playing with one of these patches once i stumbled on this groove (i like it very much and i’m still very amazed that one instance of aalto can deliver such quite complex yet clear and effective sound without any external input) :

re 53 self-running patches : a little bit of context if you will.
for the last 3 or 4 years i’ve only been playing with the party van. i’ve started to play with different kind of sound sources. then i’ve discovered aalto through the monome forum. the great sound and the ability to make self-running patches was very appealing because i could get some kind of random sound material to mangle. my goal was to play live with emergent sounds with random enveloppe, pitch, timber, volume etc.
so this aalto output goes to the party van input. from there, i improvise.
later (mid-2014 ? early 2015 ?) i added teletype and meadowphysics into the loop. the output of tt goes to aalto’s pitch and aalto’s cc. that allowed me to get more randomness, heavy shifts, dramatic changes to the sound material i was working with.

i wish you all the best for the new year to come.

20 Likes

[quote=“beo, post:1, topic:5857”]
i added teletype and meadowphysics into the loop. the output of tt goes to aalto’s pitch and aalto’s cc. that allowed me to get more randomness, heavy shifts, dramatic changes to the sound material i was working with.
[/quote]thanks for the patches!

i’d love to see video of this arrangement to learn from you

ok, i’ll try to upload a video by the end of the week.

2 Likes

Thank you for the patches, they are great and very inspiring.

1 Like

thank you for the kind words !

it’s a simple set-up to make things clear (well, clear… i hope… let me know if you have questions @glia !)

from teletype :
pitch goes to sequencer offset and to osc. pitch
mod 0 goes to osc. modulation index and lpg
mod 1 goes to delay vol. input
mod 2 goes to reverb amount

meadowphysics is running with a gs 128

(oh and don’t do as i did : be sure to set both note and cc to the same midi device)

it’s simple but still : you can play it a long time, you never hear the same pattern twice.
edit-- this is how i modified patches i uploaded. i would also make 3 or 4 different presets, put ‘preset x+1’ on the 8th raw of teletype, then ‘preset 1’ on the 8th row of the last preset in order to make a loop of preset.
so i would made the mod, then record the output for half an hour or so and then play the track back to the party van. so that’s how i could get a random and unexpected sound material to play with.

also teletype and meadowphysics patches
meadowphi teletype.zip (59.7 KB)

2 Likes

@glia @ppqq @jasonw22 @abalone @disquiet @instantjuggler @jazzmonster @dylanw @rdfm @i_morgendoerfer thank you very much for your interest and attention to this

2 Likes

this video shows
lots can happen
without much patching in aalto
:slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

these are really great.

2 Likes

How do I add the patch to Aalto please? I have copied from the “lyrics” bit…no idea where to paste. Please, please answer in words of no more than one syllable. Imagine you were trying to explain this to your grandparents…that’s how I want you to answer :slight_smile:

You have to copy the code (cmd+C or ctrl+C), then go to Aalto, click on the preset box, and select Paste from clipboard. That’s it!

1 Like

Great! Thanks @AlessandroBonino

1 Like