6/13/22 FUJI||||||||||TA and Casual Decay - Full Moon Soundbath in Portland, OR

Hello all!
I live in Portland, Or and play ambient modular music as Casual Decay. Wanted to post here about my upcoming show because I thought there could be some interested lines folk :slight_smile:

I’m really excited to play with FUJI||||||||||TA all the way from Japan and it’s a special opportunity for us US folk to get to see him on his current West Coast tour. Here’s a little more about him:

FUJI||||||||||TA aka Yosuke Fujita, is a Sound Artist, organist and composer based in Japan. Fujita’s artistic practice centers on the exploration, manipulation and presentation of sounds commonly found within nature, including the use of air, water and even the echolocation of bats. The crux of his performances is his hand-built pipe organ. An instrument, which Fujita based on the
traditional Japanese musical concept of GAGAKU, a slow and elegant form of classical music found in the 7th century.

And here’s a quick bio for me too :slight_smile:
Casual Decay is the ambient electronic project of Jon Nasrallah. With deep roots in the diy punk scene, Nasrallah imbues his work with the distorted angst of hardcore and the gravitas of post-rock for a uniquely heavy take on ambient. Inspired by both ecological systems and cellular activity, Nasrallah uses a variety of synthesizers and sampling techniques to approximate the dynamics of the natural world. Semi-random fluctuations of noise, rippling arpeggios and melodic waves combine sound design and composition into singularly integrated soundscapes.

17 Likes

Fujita is great. I played with him in Tokyo 10 years ago. His homemade pipe organ is incredible.

Where is the show?

6 Likes

Congrats! Looking forward to seeing him here in Chicago a few days after he plays with you in Portland.

3 Likes

The show on Monday is at The Old Church! That will be the biggest venue I’ve played in Portland since moving here which I’m also excited about. It’s such a beautiful space too

7 Likes

Thanks for sharing this! Hope to make it out. I’ve not gone to many shows since the pandemic and have been watching this space eagerly for some PDX lines folks to share performances.

1 Like

Hope you can make it! If not we’ll have to connect IRL another time. I’m also new to Portland, just moved here in June of 2021. I’ve been uhhh hitting the local scene hard as that’s usually my main way of making friends when I move to a new place haha. So I can help you get a little more plugged in with some of the smaller synth stuff going on around town if you’d like!

1 Like

That’d be awesome. I’m not new to Portland but still feel very to lines and this corner of the local music scene, would love to connect with more folks in person for sure. Maybe it’s the pandemic, or the city changing so much but I’ve been honestly kind of surprised there aren’t more modular/synth meetups here. Also very possible that there are tons and I’m just not looking in the right places.

Ahh I misunderstood. Yeah I’ve found one more formally organized synth meetup called PSIC (Portland Synth Improvisers Collective). They do an open jam / meetup once a month. Other than that it’s all just friends casually and mostly spontaneously getting together. And then more formal performances as well. I would like to see some more meetups / jams that are open to the public and regularly scheduled though. My studio is also 2 blocks away from Control Voltage which is pretty fun haha. My space isn’t huge but maybe I can do some low-key meetups there!

3 Likes

Oh wow I’d not heard of PSIC, they meet really close to my apartment. That’s awesome, will definitely be checking that out, thanks for sharing!

Living close to CV sounds awesome yet scary. I got into modular during the pandemic and just before Modular 8 closed, but live close enough that it would have been an issue haha.

1 Like

Haha luckily I’m out of my deep GAS phase. I’ve lived there a year and only bought one module from CV. If I had been there in like 2018 / 2019 it would have been a different story though :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Cool, might show up!

2 Likes

I’m unable to make this one but would love to hear about future portland performances

1 Like

We moved here within a month and half of each other, @casualdecay (April 2021 for me).

Tonight is a bit spicy for my work schedule, but I’ll look out for more in the future!

1 Like

i just got a ticket and am very excited to attend the show :hearts:

1 Like

@Gexex @exit-only
Thanks for the interest! I know Monday’s are a tough show night. I’m currently in a big show phase though so I’ll have something again soon. Trying to play local shows here in Portland about once a month right now. My instagram @casual_decay is the best place to stay updated. Otherwise I’ll try to remember to post future events here on lines too :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Thank you!! Come say hi if you see me

1 Like

it was lovely meeting you this evening and i am pleased to report that you gifted the audience with an extremely lovely performance. thank you. :pray::heart:

1 Like

thanks for the heads up about the show.

1 Like

Bummed I couldn’t make it but will definitely check out your IG and hope to get out a show soon.

1 Like

Thanks for coming and great to meet you!

1 Like