7-fold Venn diagrams as a musical interface

Happy New Year, all. I’ve just released a little artistic web app called Venn 7, which turns 7th-order symmetric Venn diagrams into a musical interface for playing chords within a diatonic scale. It includes an article to explain what’s going on. It also has Shepard tone sound design done in SuperCollider.

It’s more or less feature-complete but I may make some minor changes as I get some feedback on it. Also, sorry for bugs — just hit refresh if the app the locks up.

Source code on GitHub.

Let me know what you think, and thanks for checking it out!

15 Likes

Beautiful, what a fun way of exploring harmony!! Have you considered adding midi out?

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll add this suggestion to the issue tracker.

I was also thinking earlier that the app could be ported to C++ and made into a VST plugin as a keyboard + visualizer directly in a DAW. All the shape data is available in a JSON file so if anyone wants to mess with it and make posters, mugs, etc. then be my guest.

1 Like

I had fun playing with this on my phone this morning. I had a good time cycling through all the “moods” and finding the sweet spots. Good color choices.

Maybe this has to do with the fact that I was playing it on my phone, but I think this would lend itself really as a continuous interface. Instead of pointing at regions and triggering events, you’d have all 7 voices continuously on, and the location of the pointer would determine which voices are heard at any point. Moving the point would smoothly transition/interpolate between states.

Outlining polychords and other complex chord voicings and clusters might yield some interesting results. Also, assigning a different instrument sound per voice could be cool too, and would give it more of an ensemble sound.