720 Nord Modular G1 patches from www.mono-log.org. Enjoy

In the beginning of my blog www.mono-log.org, the Nord Modular G1 was the pure focus, an idea my wife Lucia gets the credit for. As a result 100’s of patches have been made during the years and on occasion I have shared some of these patches when asked, but not many.

Today I am making available some 720 patches used in that blog for everyone with a G1 editor to explore, learn from and share. You don’t need an actual Nord Modular G1 to load these patches, but you do need a G1 to hear them. The editor is freely available from Clavia’s website http://www.nordkeyboards.com/downloads/legacy/nord-modular and what I did with them can be heard at my blog http://www.mono-log.org

You can download the patches from a public repository at Github.

Don’t be silent, let me know what happens to them, how you might use them and have fun.

13 Likes

Finally upgraded the micro modular to a G1 – excited to dig into these patch this weekend!

1 Like

Thanks so much for these. Time to fire up my micromodular

1 Like

Nice, the upgrade is always a rewarding one. Did you keep your micro too?
Let me know how you get on.

1 Like

Hey @marcus_fischer

No probs, thanks for inspiring me to start with them in the first place.

It’s always time to fire up the Nord :slight_smile:
Hope you enjoy them. I imagine the earlier bunch is more your area.

So far I have! The form factor of the micro is hard to beat, yet I find it somewhat hard to justify keeping both.

That said, of things I’ll be selling soon the micro won’t be the first to go :wink:

Yeah I understand that, I guess it depends on your workflow, ie a studio or kitchen table type, or how much you might use a Nord live, as those are two times I can think of a smaller or extra Nord come in handy.

I’d say, unless you need the pennies, put it in a draw and save it for when you perform, go on holiday, something like that :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just when I was getting back into a Micromodular frenzy again, mono-log.org is gone.

I really enjoyed the patch descriptions on the mono-log but well, the patches are still available. They were a great source of understanding the engine better for me. So, thanks again @pokk.

The Micromodular pairs so well with Norns Cranes and Otis. Connect an old ipad with Touch Osc/Lemur and feed it with some ccs. <3 The editor found at http://www.stage-engine.com/micro-modular-1 works quite well on Mojave, less midi drop outs than on the old Windows XP version. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Hey

Yeah I recently took it down after transferring hosts. I actually thought I had a back up somewhere of the html but seems I haven’t. It felt a bit of an archive, specifically the writing, and so wanted to move on. I am always surprised people enjoyed the writing, that was always rushed. But very pleased you enjoyed it.

I will always be keeping the patches on Github, but if you have any questions about any of them I can probably remember something about most of them. Ask away, more than happy to help if I can :slight_smile:

Ah, that’s good to know I don’t think I have tried it on Mojave as have hooked up my old Macbook to run it.

3 Likes

Some good news, the Internet Archive has an archive of much of the site. Minus the styling, unfortunately.

http://web.archive.org/web/20120401000000*/mono-log.org

2 Likes

Thanks so much! I often enjoy taking parts of your patches, reverse engineering them is also helpful, adding some other control to them, etc. I am mad about morph groups, this is my favourite feature, sometimes wish there were more of them.
Also, I tried other “more modern” gear that was rated as alternative to the old Clavia stuff but somehow never “felt” it. It did not convince me soundwise.

I too tried/heard a few different more recent similar synths/software but had much the same reaction. The Nord has something special for sure. I need to start using it again, barely touched it for a while.

I should say, I still have the mono-log domain address and keep toying with the idea to continue on with something similar but just haven’t settled on anything just yet. Perhaps I can create some archive of previous posts along with new ones, not sure. Also thought more doing studio experiments in general and writing about that, maybe weekly as apposed to each day.

The main thing I’m finding is I started mono-log really to get back into working on my own after working with my wife for so long. Also letting go and putting something into the public space and then finally also learn that machine in the process. I kind of feel I have dealt with these areas and so feel torn between understanding the need for me but then also people seem to find it valuable and I like helping people.

It would be nice to do something but not sure quite how to frame it, even if in my own head haha.

Be great to hear any thoughts on this.

1 Like

Sad to hear it’s down! I really enjoyed it, taught me a lot about synthesis and there were some wonderful sounds in there… Convinced me to get a G1!

Hope the patches and notes stay up as an archive (they each need each other I’d say) and would love to hear more pokk studio experiments

1 Like

Good news. :slight_smile:

It looks like I have a back-up after all. I thought I did.

I will look into putting it online as a website in the near future potentially. I do remember there is some updating needed doing to the CMS for me to run the site on the cloud platform Heroku as I moved host recently. In the meantime, you can find the posts on Github here: https://github.com/sm-ll/mono-log.org/wiki This is the same Github profile you can find the patches, so all in the same place.

I have decided that I will put up the music on Bandcamp https://mono-log.bandcamp.com as this is the cheapest way to host things (free) and also I can more easily set it to be playable forever and pay what you like, a bit like a donation or something, that can go towards paying for something. Luckily the backup (some rickety old hard drive) included all the mp3’s as well. I think there is a download limit of 200 on Bandcamp if I set the cost to zero, so that should be more than fine. I obviously don’t want to charge.

This feels ok for me as an archive and also a good place for audio/files to be stored.

5 Likes

@pokk thanks for making the resources available again. Its a great resource that inspired me to get back into the G1 again too.

@doomglue I’ve also been enjoying hooking G1 up to norns. I’ve been getting into the less concepts script.

2 Likes