A Cartoon Graphic Score (Disquiet Junto Project 0247)

This is a placeholder for the forthcoming Junto project based on an illustration by cartoonist Lark Pien.

Disquiet Junto Project 0247: Waltz, Maybe
Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien.

Project Steps:

Step 1: Look at this illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. It’s titled “Waltz, Maybe.” When she posted it online, she said, “woke up to music, drew it quickly”:

Step 2: Record a short piece of music interpreting the illustration as a graphic score.

Five More Important Steps When Your Track Is Done:

Step 1: Per the instructions below, be sure to include the project tag “disquiet0247” (no spaces) in the name of your track. If you’re posting on SoundCloud in particular, this is essential to my locating the tracks and creating a playlist of them.

Step 2: Upload your track. It is helpful but not essential that you use SoundCloud to host your track.

Step 3: Please posting your track to this llllllll.co thread. (Assuming you post it on SoundCloud, a search for the tag will help me construct the playlist.)

Step 4: Annotate your track with a brief explanation of your approach and process.

Step 5: Then listen to and comment on tracks uploaded by your fellow Disquiet Junto participants.

Deadline: This project was posted in the morning, California time, on Thursday, September 22, 2016, with a deadline of 11:59pm wherever you are on Monday, September 26, 2016.

Length: The length is up to you. Three minutes seems like a good length.

Title/Tag: When posting your track, please include “disquiet0247” in the title of the track, and where applicable (on SoundCloud, for example) as a tag.

Upload: When participating in this project, post one finished track with the project tag, and be sure to include a description of your process in planning, composing, and recording it. This description is an essential element of the communicative process inherent in the Disquiet Junto. Photos, video, and lists of equipment are always appreciated.

Download: It is preferable that your track is set as downloadable, and that it allows for attributed remixing (i.e., a Creative Commons license permitting non-commercial sharing with attribution).

Linking: When posting the track online, please be sure to include this information:

More on this 247th weekly Disquiet Junto project — “Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien” — at:

http://disquiet.com/0247/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

http://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is the (unintended, but used with approval) graphic score by Lark Pien.

Good timing! I’ve been playing a 3/4 drum beat for the last couple of days.

Anyone notice that this drawing looks a bit like today’s Google image on their main Search page? Celebrating the Autumn Equinoxe…

I can see the similarity, especially in the textures and shapes.

Waltz Definitely (La Boite A Musique) disquiet 0247

This one was so obvious to me, the illustration reminds me of a silly game we do with my kids, (game that they still love really) where I paint faces on our fingertips with a Sharpie, weird faces, happy faces, angry, surprised faces, etc) and we play roles and fake stories with our finger-tip-marionettes.
That’s the illustration alright, no doubt for me.

Waltz maybe? The idea was to perform a silly waltz with this mechanical toy piano I bought for my kids (but ended up squatted in my studio and finding its way to some major productions, little bastard!)
The piano is the one on the photo I took for this post. Who can resist a red piano?

So I went for a bunch of tracks I recorded with that piano previously and found that 90% where actually waltzes. I choose this one, so I am cheating (am I?) cause this is an existing recording, but couldn’t resist. Sorry.

The music it’s a proper composer’s composition, with chords, melodies, and all that old school stuff I like.
Structure is A (major)-A (major)-A (major)-B (Major/Minor) - A (major)

But it is performed as if it was a Music Box.

Now: trying to reproduce the issues, pranks and casualties you find in music boxes with an actual performance was a threat! And a whole lot of fun honestly. Those ridiculous tempo shifts and weird phrasing, took me hours lol.
One toy piano, a microphone and a drunken tempo, this is the antidote for any click based techno music overdose.

Hope you dig it. Love DD

More on this 247th weekly Disquiet Junto project — “Interpret as a graphic score an illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien” — at:

http://disquiet.com/0247/

More on the Disquiet Junto at:

http://disquiet.com/junto/

Subscribe to project announcements here:

http://tinyletter.com/disquiet-junto/

Project discussion takes place on llllllll.co:

There’s also on a Junto Slack. Send your email address to twitter.com/disquiet for Slack inclusion.

Image associated with this project is the (unintended, but used with approval) graphic score by Lark Pien.

Step 1: Look at this illustration drawn upon waking by Lark Pien. It’s titled “Waltz, Maybe.” When she posted it online, she said, “woke up to music, drew it quickly”:

Step 2: Record a short piece of music interpreting the illustration as a graphic score.

My response to this weeks project is not literal, I didn’t use the image as a musical score per se, it suggests to me a choreography, a choreography in need of a sound track. I started simple, and then just ran with it until it felt finished. As a result its a bit longer than specified.

I woke up to music this morning, some vague melodies drifting through my mind. I picked up my phone a checked my emails. As I read the Disquiet project email I still had these little melodies going around. Reading the project description, seeing the image created by Lark Pien, it resonated with my own morning experience. The little tunes in my head seemed to form a soundtrack to the little visual narrative suggested to me by the illustration.

I saw in this image a lonely figure, lost in a reverie, dancing, imagining that some lost or remote loved one was dancing with them. At some point in the narrative, the reverie is broken (the figure with hands over their eyes) and the figure realises they’re on their own again, but they dance on anyway. I liked the idea suggested by the title, “waltz, maybe” and while my track isn’t a waltz, its slow and drifting.

I used e-Instruments Session Keys Y and Electric R (Kontakt Libraries) for the piano sounds and reverse piano sounds, tape noise, gates and compressors, several processed analog rhythm loops and BFD 3 for hi hats. Speakerphone and Valhalla Shimmer also make an appearance.

Hi :slight_smile:
https://soundcloud.com/kuromiya-hideyuki/daruma-disquiet0247

build up on ableton. then tape MTR and microphone recording. By Tape MTR, pitch is shifted handly. vocal shot is MiKU-HATSUNE(YAMAHA). that mean of word is traditional child’s play in japan. DARUMA-san GA KORONDA.

https://soundcloud.com/dizzybanjo/disquiet0247-waltz-maybe

I can’t really explain why this came out when I interpreted it. For some reason I pictured the diagrams as memories of a forgotten dream of visiting another world. Memories coming back of characters and emotional relationships from that dream.

I wanted to capture the dizzy moments when you are not fully awake, nor dreaming and haven’t decided yet which direction to go.I
made two simple loops in 3/4 and then something in different lenght and
time (the instrument is called Ambient Swell in Ableton) to confuse it.

https://soundcloud.com/rudzupuke/wake-up-maybe-disquiet0247

A collaboration for “A Cartoon Graphic Score (Disquiet Junto Project 0247: Waltz, Maybe)”.
soundart23september2016_disquiet0247 RolloSONIC software and osvaldo cibils. wav to mp3 imperfect conversion with noise.

http://it.ivoox.com/es/soundart23september2016-disquiet0247-audios-mp3_rf_13031263_1.html

I recorded the drums on Friday afternoon with no idea how I was going to use them. It occurred to me that it’d be good to contrast the 3/4 time signature I mentioned above against 4/4 but in the end I think it’s a 12/8 time signature. There was about seven minutes of drumming and I quickly edited together the bits I liked.

This week I bought a Kala U-bass on a whim and it arrived on Friday. It took a little while before I was sure I wanted to record the Junto track with this new and small instrument.

The U-bass sounds huge and only took a little while to grow accustomed to the shorter scale frets. On Saturday morning I recorded the bass part and what you see and hear here is the second take.

I was wondering how to represent the gestures in Pien’s drawing when I remembered my theremin. It was last used through the Ravish sitar effect for Junto 0134.

You can see on the left-hand of the video that I am rotating and making a series of gestures. These are meant to reflect those shown in the drawing. I think I went through the sequence twice over the course of the recording.

For more discussion of this recording, see Bassling.com

#Larkpien Disquiet 0247

Suss Müsik is always attracted to thresholds, in particular that dream state between sleeping and being awake. Suss Müsik also revels in whimsy, however, and admits to a fondness for repetition. There is a hidden system in this drawing, along with an air of something having been expected and not yet found. It’s less of a waltz than a march, albeit one softly tread. The ghosts are cute.

This short piece includes the output of two recent Suss Müsik obsessions: a Roland CR-78 CompuRhythm and a theremin. The former is run through a Korg ToneWorks 411X with maximum compression; the latter through a Boss RV-6. The flute was played through the same RV-6 with a longer extension. The other components were largely the result of manipulating various riffs played on a Danelectro 12SDC 12-string, recorded straight from a Vox AD30VT with maybe a bit of random delay. There’s also a sample of a ringing telephone in there someplace, not that it’s recognizable in the final mix.

The intention of this composition is to reflect not only the dreamlike state of remembering, but also the ways in which cognitive dissonance occurs. Waking from a dream is something like assembling a jigsaw puzzle from memory, using pieces from puzzles already solved. It’s the act of cobbling together a narrative whose context remains elusive, recollecting things the brain would rather leave buried in disarray. Ghosts in this drawing use their arms for only three purposes: to reach out for something that isn’t there, to point into an unknown distance, or to cover their eyes.

The piece is titled “Larkpien” in tribute to the author.

I literally sat and looked at the drawing for a couple of hours. Then I wrote this.
Like a waking dream all the elements are there for it to be both logical and reasonably good. Yet on closer scrutiny things don’t seem right and they certainly don’t make any sense.
On any other day these animated sounds would have been moved to the trash.

https://soundcloud.com/glsmyth/the-first-few-moments

Looking at Lark Pien’s illustration at https://goo.gl/djQ31Y immediately reminded me of the things my mind goes through when I am recovering from the novel I was starring in while dreaming, and realizing that I am now working my way back to a more familiar territory.

While I attempt to make sense of things there is an order I do not immediately recognize. The land of randomness from which I just emerged seemed to have order, so this piece is built on a serial row of twelve tones selected from the base 12 value of Pi, a perceived random pattern that actually does have meaning.

I selected a brass quintet for this piece. With the ability to blast one from the bed, the quality of restraint offers a warm welcome. So this is me in the first couple of minutes each day, as I transit from state to state.

The system will not allow me to upload an attachment, so if anyone would like the score then just shoot an email to George.Smyth@gmail.com.

Cheers -

george

1-2-3
:rolling_eyes:
EDIT: Okay, some word.
I admit. My reaktion was on the word waltz. Then I listened to Daniel Diaz track. Waltz… The drawing is cute. Dancing and/or wanting to hug each other? Indecision. Frozen hesitant actions on a paper.
My tool: My little modular. I use no dedicated drum modules.
When I wake up I dont snooze. I start at 6504rpm and get up. Thats me.My snooze-zone is in the arts.

Each of my kids seemed to make similar looking characters when learning to draw. The sketch also reminded me of a schoolyard scene. And I have always associated a waltz with this music box that I got from my Grandmother after she died - two birds on a broken branch, rotating on a stand, playing a piece in 3/4 that I have never since identified… I left it on the window sill in my room, and would gladly listen to it when doing school work…

So, it was all a little inevitable I pull out the wonderful DSK Audio Music Box free VST (http://www.dskmusic.com/dsk-music-box). Had a sample of a ticking watch that I stretched and EQ’ed as the sound of the clock drive mechanism that rotates a music box, and I added a little ambient drum hit towards the end.

Waltz Maybe? Waltz Definitely!

Hope you like it.

I ended up not following any more of the score than that title, because it immediately made me want to take a jazz waltz and put it into 4/4 time. This isn’t the first time I’ve done that - I previously remixed Miles Davis’ recording of “Someday My Prince Will Come.”

But that was just fragments of the track, and I added beats to the measures by duplicating. This time, I thought it would be more interesting to take the entire source track, keep it intact, and use Ableton warping to map it onto a 4/4 groove. I took John Coltrane’s recording of “Greensleeves” from Africa/Brass and warped it out over the Funky Drummer break. There are places where I carefully lined up the beats by hand, places where I selected long passages and quantized them en masse, and places where I left Coltrane’s original timing intact.

monome/mabalhabla/aalto/played looking at the 'score/audacity/ Favorite Free AU and VST Plugins /lvox’catbus/k-blamo

thanks @disquiet

cool sounds :slight_smile: