A Simple Life. give us a tip

Give us a tip to live a simple life!

My tip is plants! They slow you down and show you that it’s about growth, not achievements.

31 Likes

Go to bed when you feel tired. Get up when you aren’t.
Also, sleep hygiene; No screens, keep the bedroom uncluttered.
If you sleep with other people, read aloud for each other, and tell them that you care for them, even when you think they are already sleeping.

45 Likes

Here’s mine: Live in New York. You’ll have to radically downsize and reprioritize as you will no longer have space for anything!

8 Likes

Minimize your belongings. Carefully curate the objects that accompany your lives, get to know them; the same goes for people. Focus your energy on what you can control.

13 Likes

Practice gratitude and show up for yourself and others with compassion.

21 Likes

Think before you talk, before you feel, before you act.

8 Likes

Identify what nurtures you the most, make those people and things your priority, and let other people and things fall away.

8 Likes

Pay attention to your body. Most of the times it tells you things you might miss otherwise - it reacts to what you say, and what others say, in ways that your brain doesn’t. It will keep you truthful.

15 Likes

Cultivate gallows humor and make lists.

10 Likes

Go to bed when you feel tired. Get up when you aren’t.

That second bit is difficult to achieve when work’s expecting me at 8. :laughing:

5 Likes

take walks. avoid multitasking. listen to drones.

13 Likes

drink water, deep breaths, keep a gratitude journal, have a dog and pet it a lot :dog:

16 Likes

For those in a relationship, spend one night reading together as a couple in quiet place! Me and my other do this, its really transformed our relationship. We dont read too each other, just our own book but on the sofa all cuddled together… Blissful - especially during a recent power cut!

19 Likes

allow for at least some small regular energy focused towards hopes and dreams and passion-goals. you may have this down but find those in your life who haven’t nailed it and give them love and support to dream then dream big -> bigger -> biggest possible imaginative-child lvl.

4 Likes

Listen more often than you talk. Create more often than you consume.

18 Likes

get really good at negotiating boundaries. protect your time & energy, so they can be put toward the things and people that matter most to you.

my new practice (among many) in this regard is:

when acquaintances want me to perform emotional labor for them (or any other kind of labor i do for my job—i work with people for a living) if it’s something i’m willing to do, i request that they at least buy me dinner. this has actually been working out very well.

3 Likes

Unless urgent or time sensitive, don’t respond to instant messages (text, slack, etc) instantly. Has done wonders for my focus to look at that technology differently.

Write out a rough schedule for your day, every day. Pre-program your time for responding to email, for focused work. Keep it to those plans as best as possible.

7 Likes

ah, here’s another one. as much as possible/realistic, tack errands & other required tasks onto work days, so time off is really time off.

6 Likes

Great idea for a thread.

This is so true. We have a household ban on devices in the bedroom (except ereaders).

Sleep is so important. I wish I respected it more.

Yes.

My contribution: be kind to yourself. Get some activity. And go hiking.

3 Likes

if you have a desire to radically depart from some aspect of your current life, big or small, do it. that desire never goes away and we are excellent builders of our own cages.

full disclosure: my life isn’t simple (I’m not even sure simplicity is my goal)

15 Likes