A user's guide to monome eurorack firmwares

this is a guide to all the various firmwares available for monome eurorack modules. it includes the official firmwares, their modifications (mods) and alternative firmwares. this is a wiki post and is meant to be maintained by the community.

the guide is grouped by apps. please note that in some cases apps share names with modules - the guide will use “app” or “module” to make the distinction clear. for each app and version the guide will list what modules they can run on. links to firmware images / documentation are provided as well as links to relevant threads (as there are many threads only the major ones are included).

most apps run as exclusive firmwares, with the exception of ansible firmware - it includes several apps and you can switch between them at any time. some apps are available for multiple modules, typically as different versions that share some general principles but have some differences as well. there are also multipass apps available now (polyearthsea) where the same version can run on different modules.

official documentation: https://monome.org/docs/
official firmwares and instructions for updating firmware: https://monome.org/docs/modular/update/

white whale app

official version: ww module
clock div/mult mod: ww module
grid 256 version: ww module
other versions: vcvrack
controllers: grid

documentation

probabilistic step sequencer with 2 CV and 4 trigger tracks, definable loops and various playback modes. the closest to a typical step sequence with some additional features such as step probability and scales.

meadowphysics app

official versions: mp module | ansible module
grid 256 version: mp module

documentation
mp version thread

rhizomatic cascading counter, a controllable gate/trigger generator. ansible version is the latest version and instead of 8 gates it generates 4 CVs and 4 gates.

earthsea app

official version: es module
ansible earthsea: ansible module
polyearthsea: ww/mp/es/ansible modules
controllers: grid (all versions), arc (polyearthsea), midi (official and polyearthsea)

documentation
ansible earthsea thread
polyearthsea thread

sequence player/recorder. the official version is a single voice and runs only on earthsea module. the ansible earthsea version is a polyphonic version that runs alongside the official ansible apps (kria / meadowphysics etc). polyearthsea is a standalone version that can run on ww/es/mp/ansible and adds multiple pattern playback, direct control of just friends/telexo/er-301 over i2c and support for other controllers.

kria app

official version: ansible module
white whale version: ww
grid 256 version: ansible

documentation
ansible kria feature requests

live step sequencer, polyphasic parameters, emergent patterns. was released originally as an alternative firmware for whitewhale module. the ansible version is the one still being actively developed.

orca app

ww module
controllers: grid, arc

documentation

polyrhythmic CV and trigger generator. an alternative firmware for white whale module. there are plans to port it to other modules (mp, es, ansible) as well.

teletype app

official version: teletype module
latest beta: teletype module
controllers: keyboard, grid

documentation
thread on latest official 3.0 release
teletype workflow, basics, and questions
teletype code exchange
grid ops
grid code exchange

scriptable event processor. create sequencers or CV/trigger generators by writing your own scripts using the teletype language. control other modules via i2c. there are plans to port it to vcvrack. see the above page for the latest official release but as it’s still being actively developed there are usually betas with some new features available. the latest feature discussion thread and betas are posted here: Teletype 3.+ feature requests and discussion

levels/cycles apps

official version: ansible module
controllers: arc

documentation

CV/gate sequencers and generators specifically for using with arcs.

looking what apps are available for your module? here is what each module can run:

white whale module: white whale (and mods), orca, kria, polyearthsea
meadowphysics module: meadowphysics (and mods), polyearthsea
earthsea module: earthsea, polyearthsea
ansible module: levels, cycles, kria, meadowphysics, ansible earthsea, polyearthsea
teletype module: teletype

Max/msp : community/consolidation/standards/deadness?

Fantastic! Seems like meadowphysics is missing for ansible at the bottom module list

that’s because the “Ansible” app includes Kria and Meadowphysics.

ha, seems i confused myself with my own terminology. since ansible app is a collection i’m listing it as separate apps, will edit now.

This is great, thanks!

note on “other versions” - for now i just added vcvrack where applicable, my thought was to link to norns/max etc versions as well where they exist (the list is specifically for eurorack apps but i think it would be helpful to see non modular versions). if you think of any please add to the list!