A user's guide to the wonderful world of teletype ⌨

…but it would be awesome…

1 Like

it certainly would be, and if somebody takes on it i will supply them with their favorite beverage for the duration of the project!

4 Likes

I have zero C experience, but sometimes not knowing what you’re up against allows you to actually roll up your sleeves and dig in.

I’m about to embark on a beach ‘vacation’ with my birth family in a fairly horrible south New Jersey beach town, so it might be a perfect opportunity to hide in a corner and read some code.

6 Likes

I got 20 (characters) on it!

Hello all! I follow a lot of the people here on Instagram but I’m not as active on the lines community (which I really should be because there so much information on these threads). Does anyone know if there any possibility or hundredrabbits orca being an alternative firmware for the teletype?

5 Likes

Yes, it should eventually be possible since Orca has been implemented on the uxn virtual machine, and I’m working on an uxn emulator for Teletype. I’m a bit pinched for time to work on this project at the moment and can’t promise any kind of timeframe, but being able to use orca in a modular system this way is definitely one exciting thing this could do.

16 Likes

Awesome! Can’t wait!!

created a separate section for video tutorials and added videos by @zsazsaroboto and @Obakegaku - thank you! :black_heart:

13 Likes

Wait, what? TT is now in VCV Rack? Time to give VCV another look i think.

1 Like

These could be worth a look too…

7 Likes

excellent, added to the list!

2 Likes

more videos! added @MCPM’s amazing introductory video Teletype & Generative 201 - Teletype basics, probabilistic rhythm, and random sequences - thank you :black_heart:

4 Likes

It is not in the official VCV library, here’s the lines thread about it.

3 Likes

Thanks, I installed it yesterday and was hoping to explore it this evening. Very excited to play with this and was pleasantly surprised to see it supports hardware Grid!

1 Like

Possibly a random question answered numerous times:
In the USB saved scripts (.txt files):

1. What do the first four columns section in #P refer to? (I can see the rest is the pattern itself).
  2. Possibly a more obscure question but related. In the #G section what do the 12 columns of unequal length refer to.

(I’m really just interested in knowing 1. but curious about 2.)

1. it’s pattern length / wrap / start / end
  2. state of grid buttons / values for grid faders
2 Likes

I apologize that this never materialized. I have a full time work for money job now, and I won’t be able to work on this.

(Only commenting because someone liked the original comment and I want to be transparent. :heart:)

1 Like

Hello

sorry if the question was already answered in another thread. (I lost a litte bit the overview :slight_smile: )
Is it possible to send HID commands over ic2? My idea is to trigger the teletype scripts with a I2C DIY module instead of the keyboard .

Is this possible?

That’s not really how i2c works. Teletype is the leader on the bus and has to poll followers to get information, and would have to be polling very fast to be responsive to script triggering. And fast i2c polling can make the whole bus unstable.
You are better off using triggers to trigger scripts. For Teletouch I use a single trigger, which triggers a script to poll the i2c bus. That way polling only has to happen once. And happens immediately after the device triggers the script with a patched trigger in.

2 Likes

ya - besides quickly polling, which has many downsides that @nonverbalpoetry mentioned, the ways to trigger scripts are:

• F keys
  • gate inputs
  • grid events
  • midi events