Ableton Live 10

Does anything interesting happen if you misuse it on material without those elements? In a more abstract way…

3 Likes

the artifacts that come out are not “musical”–they sound like encoding artifacts–but they are definitely interesting! for my taste would need further processing but makes me want to try something like bouncing your own track, running it through this, recombining the stems and bouncing that version of the track, etc etc to see what comes out that could be mixed back in as a detail element

4 Likes

I’m using follow actions in Ableton but want to play the full length of an audio clip before moving onto the next one. You have to specify a bar/beat length for the clip to play currently. I want it to be independent of the DAW tempo.

Maybe there is a M4L device which does this kind of thing, or plays files from a specified folder?

I just tried this and was surprised that setting clips to trigger and turning off quantization and looping didn’t do the trick. What is the use case? Performance I assume?

Yea I was hoping that would do the trick but I think Abletons roots are in loops.

I’m thinking more for writing material, seeing it like splicing tape together. Having combinations of very short snippets, impacts and swells in a concrete kind of way.

I thought it would have been a nice way to have streams of interchangeable splices running either in sequence or some randomly. I guess it’s ultimately a workflow thing.

I like being ‘off grid’ too

Have you tried Scenery? It may do what you want.

1 Like

follow scene by isotonik might do what you want. i’m not sure bc i dont own it but it seems designed to expand the usability of follow actions for backing tracks/ambience

I used this strategy for one of my pieces. The official “release” was actually just the Ableton Live set since I wanted it to be an endless piece. You can download it here. Might inspire you: https://nor.the-rn.info/2014/07/28/generative/

(For this I actually just leaned into the fact that Live wants to quantize stuff. The breakthrough was adding empty clips.)

3 Likes

Yes I have Scenery, it works great for long slow samples but I’ve found it gets stuck on samples if they are very short. It’s been designed as an ambient generator rather than how I’m trying to use it currently

Ah, this could work, pity it’s so expensive!

1 Like

There’s a discount using code elphntgiveaway
Also, 10 usd isnt expensive. Its a M4L version of Radio Music Thing, which costs 150 usd i believe

1 Like

Sorry I was referring to the Isotonik plugins. Sure Scenery is well worth the asking price.

I actually just got a copy of Follow XL, I can never be left wondering.

1 Like

So Isotonik follow offers a lot of really useful functionality, the main one being that it will wait till the end of the audio clip before moving on. However, for my needs it didn’t work out because there’s a minimum sample length time which isn’t short enough. For example, I couldn’t use a short single hi-hat sample, it’s just not fast enough…I wanted to get the contrast between very fast sample changes and long drawn out clips. Basically like shuffle play in itunes but in Ableton.

1 Like

Anyone have experience using Remotify in Live 10? Occasionally I encounter certain limitations with MIDI mapping and it looks like a good solution. For example, I’m using the MIDI Twister Fighter and I often wish I could click the encoders to cycle through a set of defined parameters (rather than off/on switch or momentary hold). I imagine some of this could be accomplish w/ Max for Live as well.

1 Like

How do you like the MIDI twister? What I would like to do is be able to pull up a plugin or VSTI and automap parameters to the knobs so I can quickly mess with parameters. Is that pretty easy to set up with the Midi twister? Its the one thing I miss about the Push 2 - I opened a plug and most of the time I could modulate key parameters instantly.

MFT is a great controller. As far as mapping, it works like anything else in Ableton - click mapping, click a control, twist a knob.

Nice and is it pretty easy to have it memorize different synths and plugins? I saw a video where a guy was using the blue hand icon in ableton to auto control different plugins. Not sure how complex that is or what software id need (Win 10).

IIRC automap functionality is accessible through a custom script available on the DJ Tech Tools site. I haven’t tried it personally - I just command+M when I want hands on control of something.

I’m really happy with the MFT. It is solidly made and the encoders are very responsive. Plus the DJ Tech Tools support is fantastic from my experience (it was a configuration issue, just needed to change a setting in the editor).

1 Like

Hmmm good call on the support scripts. I had mistakenly assumed they were for control surface only. The script at the bottom here looks promising:

I got my MFT and it is indeed great. I am able to do the Cntrl-M move and map knobs, but thats kind of limiting. Say I map 4 knobs to my autofilter. If I try and map the same knobs to another plugin, I can but of course when I turn the knob, both plugins are affected,which is no good.

What I would rather do is what this script below says - I click on a plugin and it automaps to that plugin. So I followed the instructions on the page, and the script is loaded up in ableton. When I select a plugin with my mouse, the blue hand activates. All good far. But after that I am stuck since moving knobs does nothing. A couple of the knobs I can press in and 2 parameters change in the plugin, but thats it.

How do I set this controller up so it automaps to whatever plugin I have open? I want to open up a plug and just control it like hardware (similar to how the Push knobs work). I feel like thats what this script says its supposed to do, but I can’t figure it out. See below:

https://maps.djtechtools.com/mappings/2702?fbclid=IwAR2kz-b_OOnmxwQoUYFS9vSYlrEVzWCDqPc-PFTTuic4WYQ_wYMGhNWilSc

1 Like