Achilles' Corridor

Friends! I’m very happy to share a little EP – Achilles’ Corridor – that came together extremely quickly over the last few days. I was feeling stuck on another musical project, so I decided to take a break; as so often happens, stepping away from something opens a door to something entirely different…

Two weeks ago, I spent a lovely evening with my wife, during which we geeked out over the wikipedia entry for Douglas Hofstadter’s Gödel, Escher, Bach: an Eternal Golden Braid. The next day, I found a dusty copy at my local bookstore, and was immediately struck by a series of photographs illustrating a favorite feedback technique: pointing a video camera at its own playback monitor.

Feedback has always been an important aspect of my music, but it’s been a theme in therapy as well lately. The complicated cocktail of psychoanalysis and confinement has left me ample time to reflect not only on myself but on the act of reflection itself…the way that ideas, feelings and behaviors can recur, spiral and mutate over time in my mind, especially as they relate to artistic self-fulfillment. In a rare moment of clarity, I turned the proverbial camera towards the screen, and saw Achilles’ Corridor take shape…

The five pieces that comprise the EP are mostly live improvisations, created over two days. @dan_derks’s awe-inspiring cheat codes was extensively used to re-shape older recorded material, while Ciat-Lonbarde gear handled additional sound generation and processing. For the curious, I’m happy to answer any process-related questions you might have. Hope you enjoy!

For Kate.

40 Likes

Congrats on the release! Can’t wait to explore this evening.

2 Likes

omg, what??? i’ve been absolutely losing my mind over the previews you’ve been posting to IG, i cannot wait to dig into this tomorrow morning. wow, olivier, this is so meaningful, thank you for engaging the script in your process :revolving_hearts::sparkles::sunny:

4 Likes

An excellent collection of works, @Olivier and a wonderful point of departure.

2 Likes

Oh my, this is so good. Thanks for sharing, @Olivier

2 Likes

Awesome combo - Ciat + Cheat Codes - great work

2 Likes

Thanks for your support and kind words everyone. Always such a pleasure to share with this community that gives me so much. :v:

1 Like

i support this interconnectivity.

2 Likes

Also, @mlogger, I have to mention: your first Hoan Kiem Chess Team release years ago was my first exposure to Ciat-Lonbarde, and left such a big impression. So…thanks :slight_smile:

4 Likes

more of this please !

excited to check out the sounds !

2 Likes

@andrew

2 Likes

such beautiful spaces. have been rinsing this the last few days while cleaning/meditating - excited to check out the book recommendation as well. thanks for sharing :innocent:

2 Likes

…Very cool!

1 Like

fresh! really enjoying this.

i have a copy of G.E.B on my desk here…one of these days I’ll actually finish it! i do enjoy just digesting a chunk of it every now and then.

1 Like

Just wanted to thank you all for your enthusiasm and support these past two weeks. That my music has connected with you in some way means a lot. Take care, and enjoy!

10 Likes

Having some good luck, yesterday I found this at my local bookstore for $3 in the clearance section.

Really enjoying it so far.

3 Likes

That’s a hell of a deal! :infinity:

2 Likes

Revisited this work tonight, and it sure has held up. It’s mighty lovely. Thought I’d drop you a line on lines to say so, @Olivier

2 Likes

That’s super kind @mattlowery – glad to hear this still resonates with you. I’ve purposefully been in a non-electronic headspace for the last 6 months, but I’ve been feeling the urge to turn the Ciat gear back on. This is a nice nudge!

2 Likes

This sounds really cool!

Not having a norns yet (hopefully soon), and not being very familiar with the details of the CL instruments, I would love to hear more about how you made this.

I assume that norns is the “sound computer” but what’s the “stereo sampler” - or is that norns as well?

Thanks!

1 Like