acrostic

Yep - 5-pin DIN MIDI in and out, proper old school!

Thanks for the cabling tips, really looking forward to my multi getting here now!

1 Like

Simply amazing!! Thank you again!

1 Like

With hindsight, my comment above would’ve been much funnier if I’d actually included the bit where it said “1 voter” (me) in the screenshot.
Ah well.

2 Likes

Acrostic has been on in the background for a couple of hours now. Giving me some Richard Einhorn/Shock Waves vibes in the lower minor keys.

3 Likes

Ok, I’m gonna make an entire album with a Casio SK-1… BRB…

6 Likes

Thanks so much for your work and vision in this, and of course for sharing it with all of us @infinitedigits. I am very excited to give this script some attention and see how it works within my workflows.

1 Like

@infinitedigits Those are the lines! I love the option of exploring the different chord patterns, in Maiden or via presets.

And, I would be 100% on board for a workshop!

1 Like

Oh my goodness. Well done! :clap: :clap: :clap:

1 Like

Simply amazing. I need to clear out a Saturday for this.

2 Likes

I’ve genuinely not been this excited for a script in ages. Your ‘generations’ album is so beautiful, I’ve listened to it probably 40 times already. Thanks again for all you do for this community @infinitedigits

11 Likes

Wow! This is otherwordly and amazing…I’m just listening to my Microfreak playing amazing chord sequences…thank you so much! :notes:

2 Likes

thanks all for the kind words! its been lovely to hear some of the creations.

:pray: thanks! I’ve listened to ‘generations’ almost as many times! this script has been a process but very enjoyable and I’m glad it can be used by others now :slight_smile:

yes please

wasn’t aware of that album, its great!

lol, yes critical mass has been reached. check out the event flyer here: acrostic workshop march 05 or 06

5 Likes

The only CV I seem to be getting from Crow Output 1 is the pitch as expected.

I am getting nothing out of Crow outputs 2,3 and 4. Any suggestions how I could troubleshoot this further?

I do have an older version of Crow firmware (2.0.0) and have not updated yet. Should I have the latest firmware on Crow running for it to working correctly with arcostic? Thanks!

1 Like

@infinitedigits

This script looks soooo good!

Seemingly having some issues unfortunately

Are these correct -

If I press stop phrase it just holds a midi notes playing out to my synth and the sample recording playhead keeps moving.
Edit - so, from re-watching the video the play heads don’t seem to ever stop. But is the midi always playing out? In the vid have you just silenced it on the output or synth?

my syncing from external midi doesn’t seem to allow me to stop it. I press stop on my system, it goes silent, then the next note just fades in and it continues playing through the phrase.

are the playheads meant to sync with the note that’s playing? i.e. the first note plays at the beginning? From your video the phrase and play head are always in sync, mine has been out of sync a lot. I.e the play head at the beginning and the phrase is playing note three…

I have had multiple times when recording the samples that they don’t fill the whole space, and seem to cut arbitrarily so each are different lengths.
I also had it so the top play head was playing significantly ahead of the others… I have no idea how I managed that?!

when I did get everything recorded and playing for the full length they all cut off at the end making an unpleasant tape loop sequence silence/jump.

The lovely planets also jittered and froze randomly.

I feel like it’s definitely something on my end as no one else has had any of this… hmmm

Trying it now with internal and link clocking, the phrasing is off to the playhead and the playhead isn’t looping to the ends, it’s looping a finger short…
Edit - maybe the loop shortening of all tracks in this case is due to changing the tempo whilst in the script? My bad.

That’s a lot I know, any ideas?

Edit - removed and re-installed and now the playheads are freezing momentarily as they go along as well.

It looks bloody glorious, so hopefully I can work out what’s going on. I wanna layer my A4 to the end of time hehe

1 Like

I was wondering what’s with the name.

From Wikipedia: acrostic. “Text formed from parts of another text”

An acrostic is a poem or other composition in which the first letter (or syllable, or word) of each line (or paragraph, or other recurring feature in the text) spells out a word, message or the alphabet. The word comes from the French acrostiche from post-classical Latin acrostichis, from Koine Greek ἀκροστιχίς, from Ancient Greek ἄκρος “highest, topmost” and στίχος “verse”. As a form of constrained writing, an acrostic can be used as a mnemonic device to aid memory retrieval.

Also acrostic (puzzle)

An acrostic is a type of word puzzle, related somewhat to crossword puzzles, that uses an acrostic form. It typically consists of two parts. The first part is a set of lettered clues, each of which has numbered blanks representing the letters of the answer. The second part is a long series of numbered blanks and spaces, representing a quotation or other text, into which the answers for the clues fit. In some forms of the puzzle, the first letters of each correct clue answer, read in order from clue A on down the list, will spell out the author of the quote and the title of the work it is taken from; this can be used as an additional solving aid.

2 Likes

The script looks great and I’ll try to use it if Elden Ring leaves me a bit of free time :slight_smile:

But most importantly, it gets extra appreciation points because the name indirectly evokes Fugazi to me…

5 Likes

I think this is the best example I’ve seen to date!

3 Likes

yes! you need version 3.0. I’m using the updated asl library for crow.

yes, the “stop phrase” will stop the phrases from playing but the playheads will keep moving and the samples will keep playing. if you hit K1+K3 in the “chord context” it will stop both the playheads and the phrases.

which video are you referring? I’m pretty sure on every video the phrases are always playing. I use that to solo on top of what was already recorded.

stopping the phrases using K3 on the chord context will stop the notes from coming, but I don’t usually do this because it will then be out of sync with the playheads (until restarting everything by stopping the playheads as well). an easy way to stop the notes is simply to mute your instrument if you can.

yeah this is weird behavior for sure. I suppose it could happen if you are recording a phrase while changing the tempo or while changing the number of beats in a chord. do you know if this happened?

yeah as mentioned in the “gotchas” - acrostic does not handle tempo changes well. I would suggest setting the tempo and then starting acrostic and then using that tempo. the reason is that the playheads are playing samples and the samples are recorded over a specific length. if you decrease the tempo, then the samples will play at the same speed so their won’t be enough sample to cover the new length set by the new tempo. it would be possible to slow down the samples to match the new length but then everything would be in a different key which would be tricky to perform against.

ha, I guess its from the first definition: “text formed from parts of another text”…but instead I interpret the name to mean “notes formed from parts of other notes” since you have notes vertically (chords) which are all forming parts of the notes horizontally (phrases).

3 Likes

Thanks for these. I shall give it another go this weekend.
Undoubtedly it’ll be the case that I wiggled the tempo in each case and caused all of my issues.

Face, meet palm.

1 Like

I’m very interested by this approach
S
Especially the « shape the sound » philosophy

I will try to use it with an other device that I have, which is a « goliath digital gibbon »

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/849041190/goliath-16-hands-in-one?lang=fr

It’s a midi control change randomizer, which can randomize several cc parameters by pressing a button, and/or turning the knob

It’s very very easy to shape a sound and make it more harsh or soft.

Maybe this feature could be added to this script ?

We select a number of cc message, and by a combination of knobs or buttons it could randomize the midi external device, even control several parameters with just a knob

2 Likes