Adding drums to the modular looking for ideas

Does anyone have opinions on MI Grids vs NE Numeric vs NE Zularic Repetitor?

i used to own a zularic repetitor. Great for getting weird and cool rhythms in no time. If you pair it with a clock divider it gets much complex when resetting it. Modulating the Mother parameter gives you more rhythms as well.

Instant juke/footwork in a module.

Its really fun as not only as a drum sequencer but for clocking sequencers or envelopes

Regarding Bassdrums:

Processing your bassdrum with waveshapers its the best thing. I used to have a Mutant BD with a Doepfer a137-1 next to it. It went from nasty BD to monster invoquing kind of sounds.

Here´s a demo i made

2 Likes

Conscious that I’m bringing this thread back from the dead - but I’m wondering if this idea for a little drum pod is mad, or if there’s a better approach for what I’m trying to achieve.

The nearest sonic equivalent I can cite in terms of the goal I’m trying to reach is Vladislav Delay (predominantly that 2005-2012 sound), as simply/concisely as possible. My larger rack would be used for everything else, and there’s TT, crow Marbles, etc for additional sequencing.

5 Likes

As a drummer this is what I’m trying to accomplish once I get settled in my new place

2 Likes

If I were putting together a dedicated drum rack this is for sure what I would do, though would maybe go for something more performable for gate generation like a Tempi, or even mutable grids with some more space, or one of noise engineerings repetitior modules. But if pre programming beats via menu is your thing PNW is definitely the most functionality for the space. Either way, your going to want a LOT of gates and maybe even a sequencer to get the most out of these three.

2 Likes

I agree. Programming rhythms with a PNW is interesting as it has a certain approach but very live friendly it sure isn’t. I’m using an Intellijel steppy with my PNW to sequence triggers and it’s a very nice combo. Steppy’s clock-based steps and PNW’s divisions, probabilities and euclideans complement each other really well.

3 Likes

Unfortunately, I find myself not-too-familiar with Vladislav Delay despite his fame so please take the below with grains of salt.

I regularly use all the modules you have set up in that drum pod and think you’re off to the races. I think you have a horse in the race and your horse could even win the race.

A few things to maybe keep in mind. The Taikos can very easily creep into goofy cartoon territory. My impression of Vladislav Delay is that his music has a more serious bent. If you believe you can handle or temper the “boing” and “sproing” then by all means proceed!

The other thing is that both the Akemie’s Taiko and BIA (and to an extent the Dinky’s) absolutely munch modulation. The BIA alone has 9 inputs and sounds incredible when most or all of them are patched up. That is to say, it sounds unpredictable which may or may not be desirable. Again, I don’t know how wacky V.D. gets.

If you are trying to create straight-forward drum beats I would reconsider all three drum modules in favor of more traditional flavors (like Tip Top’s 808 / 909 emulations) but if you are trying to create off-the-wall rhythmic noise that pod will get you 100% of the way there, especially with the sequencing and modulation your larger rack brings to the table.

Those are some of my thoughts about your drum pod. I hope you are able to get drumming soon!

2 Likes

I agree with this. My experience with PNW has been that it is a very flexible clock and modulation source but it is a bit awkward when you try to make it be a sequencer. Not that you can’t make it do all the typical drum patterns. You can. If just isn’t anywhere near as intuitive to fiddle about and turn steps off and on as an x0x style sequencer.

1 Like

I lov the Prok drums,. you can test them out in VCV Rack for $25 before getting the hardware. a vast range of sounds in these,. .

https://library.vcvrack.com/?query=&brand=Prok+Modular&tag=&license=

Cannot reccomend serge res EQs enough for drums

1 Like

I really like them, but the hardware versions are really noisy. If your music is really busy, it hides it, but as I’ve improved my setup, it started to bother me more.

1 Like

I agree with Pam being not ideal if you need to program stuff on the fly, I love it as my main clock but not so much as a sequencer.
For quick rhythmic stuff my favorite module is the Dnipro DOT.

I love this!

3 Likes

One module I really like for drums is the ADDAC 106 T-Noiseworks. It is four channels of filters with a noise source, and can be either triggered or sent envelopes. It can easily generate hihats, snares and claps, but what is even more fun is sending it audiorate signals. I sometimes run an entire mix through it and it basically generates a layer of noisy, rattling percussion based on the contours of the signal.

And I echo the Intellijel Steppy as a very intuitive hands on gate sequencer. I wasn’t sure from watching videos how playable it really is, but it’s one of the most hands-on, immediate interfaces I’ve tried.

Lastly, after trying various drum modules and also playing the Digitakt along with the modular (a workflow I didn’t enjoy), I’d say for me a couple snappy low pass gates beats any drum module.

9 Likes

I just bought a Dreadbox Dystopia, and combined with my Befaco Percall (great, great module for drums) it’s along the same lines as the ADDAC 106, but with more CV control.

Haven’t seen the Dystopia mentioned much at all in relation to drums, but the 4 outputs (and associated controls) give a lot of different noise flavours/tonalities. It’s also cheap (in Eurorack terms).

The Befaco Kickall is another killer drum module. Really recommend that one.

Agree 100% on low pass gates. They can be had really cheap in Eurorack, and I haven’t heard anything that sounds quite the same in the s/w world.

4 Likes

That sounds like a great setup and I agree, the downside of the ADDAC 106 which I forgot to mention is that there is no CV control of the filter frequencies… and the trimmer pots… but still a great deal in 8HP.

Interesting and thanks for the tip! I’ve not explored the Dystopia for drum sounds at all really, so will investigate as it might well save me some HP and from getting a drum module too.

1 Like

For drum gate/trigger sequencing has anyone mentioned the Bastl Knit Rider?
It doesn’t do probability or any kind of generative stuff, but is absolutely rock solid, steady and dead easy to use.
6 channels of 64 steps with 4 sub step per.

2 Likes

Just bare in mind with Dystopia you will still need a VCA and envelope to to get a drum sound from it (the Dystopia is purely a noise source).

This is where Percall comes in real handy. I think it is a great module for people looking to roll their own drum sounds (the envelopes are even available on individual outputs, as well as triggering the internal VCA’s).

Befaco stuff in general is great for drums (their new Noise Plethora looks to me to be designed with percussion in mind… almost a ‘Dystopia Deluxe’ :slightly_smiling_face:).

2 Likes

Yes, this is where things might not work out so easily for my current setup, but I will see what the Rampage and Ataxia can provide.

1 Like

Sounds cool!

I’m finding having control over attack time is really cool for drum sounds (especially snare and hats), and seems to be a very underused effect.

Subtly it can give shaker/brush type sounds, and at higher values gives a kind of ‘reverse’ type effect.

I’ve not seen it be an available parameter on any drum machines or modules, but is something really easy to integrate when you self patch (like you would be with Rampage etc.).

Never tried it but using the EOC outputs on Rampage/Maths etc. to modulate/trigger other drum voices could also be really cool :sparkles:

I’ve been on a bit of a drum synthesis deep dive recently… need to read through this thread in full to look for any tips/tricks!

4 Likes