Afrorack

I didn’t see any mention of this here, and feels like an effort most folks here would support. If you’ve got some money you want to throw their way, I’m sure it would be appreciated. Apologies if this is not appropriate for this forum.

59 Likes

Aaron’s a good dude. First met him at the Make Noise 10 Year Celebration through mutual friends at Make Noise, and recently ran into him at a workshop hosted at a record store down the street from me. I believe he and @dan_derks have been in conversation about collaborating on some workshops at some point.

8 Likes

This is awesome, thank you for sharing!

3 Likes

so glad to see this thread! thank you @caulymaculkin!

covid has waylaid much of afrorack’s work, as it’ll take a some time before non-school spaces will be open to hosting youth-focused programming, but aaron is a sharp + passionate person who has real actionable vision.

there’s so much operational cost involved in keeping the organization afloat and while module donations have certainly enabled aaron to build great toolkits for kids, liquid funds help secure space, ensure reliable transportation for students to get to those spaces, and pay for the legal stuff involved in youthwork. aaron has largely covered these costs out of pocket and from our convos, hasn’t yet received small business covid assistance from the gov’t.

all to say, while the programming is disrupted for now, the core mission of the org and the foundational ideas are really important and, if you’re able, deserve direct support.

16 Likes

I invited @afrorack to join lines, so he’ll be able to see this thread and add to it once he becomes a “Regular” here. (@tehn / @moderators, any way to make this thread visible to Aaron prior to him acquiring the proper user status?)

5 Likes

moved to Tech category, which “sortof” fits. welcome @afrorack !

3 Likes

hi there - happy to join the conversation

41 Likes

Hi @afrorack, I am local to Chicago, do you need any volunteers?

edit: Of course after it is safe to do so.

4 Likes

Hi @adrianf , That sounds great! Lets keep the conversation going and I’ll let you know when the time is right to join forces somehow.

6 Likes

Thank you for sharing this link, it seems like a really great cause. I have made a small donation myself!

@afrorack I am relatively software-based these days but have a lot of experience in music production and would be more than happy to create some video content for you on any aspects of music production/sound design if that would help at all (I am UK based))

I have a TE PO-33 sampler I was about to sell but I would much rather either donate this directly to you or have a raffle that is entered by people sending me a screenshot receipt of a $5 donation to you. (if they donate $10 that is 2 entries etc). Let me know if it would be more use to have the sampler itself or the donations and I will go from there!

4 Likes

@lukeblicero thank you so much for your donation!

Hey, I’d like to explore the possibility of making a short clip or loop for our Instagram page.
As for the PO-33, we would much rather give it to one of our students.

4 Likes

@afrorack Absolutely! So my experience has thus-far been on making tutorials like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bMRrrja-1w&t=638s but I might be able to help with a short clip/loop for instagram! If you want to drop me an email and let me know details and also the address for me to send out the sampler you can reach me here blicero.music@gmail.com

4 Likes

wish i had something like this when i was a kid

4 Likes

I’ve made a small donation. It’d be great to start something like this in London.

4 Likes

I’ve posted on my IG that all of my Bandcamp proceeds for the month of June will be donated to Afrorack. I don’t expect a huge upswing in sales, but every little bit helps and they are doing great work for the community. If you’d like to donate via my BC you’ll get an album to boot.

7 Likes

I like this idea :black_heart:

3 Likes

We’ve been overjoyed with all the amazing support.
Can’t say thank you enough to everyone on this forum and out in synthland.

30 Likes

Amazing to see how much more support you’ve got from the synth community in just the past few days!

3 Likes

Glad to hear about your work! Happy to see this and hope to continue seeing solidarity in this community.

2 Likes

This particular link has been posted in the Make Noise thread, but it’s relevant here due to the interview between Kelly and @afrorack in issue three of the Make Noise Zine:

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/content/manuals/make-noise-zine-number-3.pdf

6 Likes