aldrin - parentes (out on Folded Note)

I am so humbled and proud to say that my first release is out today on Folded Note Records.
It’s something I am so excited to share and it is an incredible feeling to have it turn out the way I wanted both musically and visually.

It can be credited to lines in many ways. This community has inspired me on so many levels; artistically, technically and adjusted my mindset/strengthened my self esteem.
So a lot of what this is goes out to all of you.

The entirety of the album was composed in 2 ways:

1. On the Octatrack using the asynchronous looping method discussed in the Octatrack thread, with norns in the send/return channel using various scripts.
  2. With an OP-1 and a micro cassette dictaphone + some norns.

I hope some of you will have a listen, and if you have any questions about how/what/where/when etc. track/album wise, l´lll try my best to explain.

Listen/get some tapes over at Bandcamp.

I keep saying this, but many many millions of thanks to @sunbeamer and @kbit (and Brian) for releasing this.

29 Likes

i’m about to check it out and must say the promotion for this has made me quite curious

might just be following the “right” people on social media but the tape design is distinct and memorable i could not forget seeing it (and feel like i’ve seen it everywhere lately!)

congrats on the release
it looks beautiful!

4 Likes

thank you @glia ! I really appreciate you taking the time to indulge, it really means a whole lot!

No real thought have been put into the promotion, but I think it’s amazing that it have stuck just based on the visual component. That is something that is going to stick with me for a long time. Thank you so much!

1 Like

it’s so special

i love the thought provoking collage and colour contrast with the actual tape

even the way the type is arranged on the cassette is appealing and unique

1 Like

Congrats Øystein! The album is just beautiful

1 Like

I’m so excited this is finally out there. Making this happen with @noiserock, @kbit, and Brian has been such a rewarding experience. This album really just takes me away, bringing me moods of comfortable contemplation as well as peaceful serenity.

Congratulations to Øystein, it’s really such a lovely release!

2 Likes

Thank you so much Hans. Your productiveness has 100% influenced me managing to finish something. And it means a lot that you appreciate it.

2 Likes

Thank you for another round of wonderful words Damon. Proud to be a part of the Folded Note family.

This was my first purchase this bandcamp friday! Really lovely stuff, @noiserock, thank you for sharing.

The messaging, in addition to the music, really resonated with me. I find it’s a challenge to capture the emotional weight of the “small moments” of life, but to me at least it feels like you’ve done that here. Bravo.

4 Likes

what a lovely sentiment
i like this description of the music :blush:

2 Likes

This is nice!! What scripts were you using on the Norns? Feels like Barcodes and maybe even wrms?

1 Like

Thanks! Barcodes, CC2, mlr, cranes and wrms are all being used to different extent. On the longer tracks they are resampling/looping loops from the Octatrack in the send/return of the OT. On the shorter tracks a lot of recording and re-recording from OP-1 to dictaphone and back is happening.

2 Likes

I have to second @glia comment and add that this is a very intimate and personal release, but it feels really good to share and in vite people in. If that makes sense?

2 Likes

Just wanted to drop in and say that this rips. These are some really great textures @noiserock !

2 Likes

When @noiserock sent us the first bit of material from parentes this is what hit me immediately. Its not an easy feat to make slow music with small gestures that’s still engaging for the listener but Øystein pulled it off beautifully. Very happy to have a hand in sharing the record with everyone.

5 Likes

Just here to say congrats and back up what everyone else said. The art is just as fantastic as the music and that’s a high compliment for both!

This is my kind of ambient :purple_heart:

2 Likes

Thank you Jae! The response so far is really overwhelming.

Following your Folded Note release is not the easiest task!

1 Like

Ha! I appreciate that and feel bad for whoever has to follow yours :joy:

I played it a few times this morning while packing The Deerhorn compilation for shipment! Gets better with every listen :+1:

2 Likes

Made a visual companion for the track «words»

I’m also writing some words every day this week on the folded note Instagram that are somewhat related to the album

https://www.instagram.com/foldednoterecords/

And I’m concluding it with a stream on Friday at 5PM EST/11PM GMT +2 at Twitch

Hope to see some of you there!

5 Likes

this is great! i especially like the track “explore”, has a nice wistful quality to it

1 Like