Aleph lines, fade parameters

can someone remind me what the fade parameters do exactly? i know it was mentioned somewhere in a thread on the old forum, but I can’t seem to find it, and it’s not in the docs.

i can’t really tell what kind of effect they have by ear except that the often introduce subtle glitchy pops… kind of the opposite of what i might expect from fades

curious about best use scenarios, as well

1 Like

i would also be interested in this. anyone?

linking some people who may know

@zebra @tehn @Galapagoose @Test2 @Yann_Coppier @ngwese @dspk

i think duncan talked about his findings with it in an old video too (but i’ve since forgotten)

okay, found an old thread…

here: http://archive.monome.org/community/discussion/17306/aleph-application-ideas/p1

and later

Does it still work this way? Seems like it probably does.

2 Likes

yes. each delay line has 2 read heads. when you change times it crossfades to the other read head. this doesn’t necesarily eliminate audbile artifacts, only a certain class of them. if the fade time is short you will probably hear it as an artifact in itself (it is a simple linear ramp)

1 Like

i just tested this. works as i expect. i think the confusing thing is that fade is a rate parameter, not a time parameter. so the lower the number, the longer the fade.

to try it out, take something like the factory “space” scene as the starting point. this has a METRO resetting the read-head position for delay1 (which is pitch-shifted up.) use the leftmost switch in play mode to toggle input from adc0 to delay1.

the scaling isn’t quite what i would expect (and there are plenty of FIXMEs in the related code) but you should hear a distinctively softer transition on each METRO pulse, as you dial the value for fade1 towards the minimum from the inputs page.

1 Like

Okay! That makes sense. Thanks. I was using it backwards.