Aleph modules: general intro

Hi all,

I’m doing some tests with the Aleph. Can someone tell me how to learn about modules that are included in the current distribution of bees, but not documented here?

thx,
jml

Currently I see dacs, pitch_shift, and waves in the repository.

dacs is just a template project and not really designed to be used unless you’re looking to start developing.

pitch_shift is a user contributed module and i’m not sure there’s documentation posted anywhere. hopefully someone wiser can chime in here…

2 Likes

this probably seems ridiculous, but i am having a hard time moving from the first couple of tutorials to the others. they are written differently and do not specify each step, whereas tutorial 1, for example, does.

can anyone help me mitigate that problem?
i found tutorial 1 super helpful and i can understand what is happening as i go along.

EDIT: I’ve gone through more slowly and I think it all makes sense now.
I also noticed people can update the docs, so if I have contributions to be made, I’ll post them there.

I recently cleaned up the dacs module as a super simple starting point for development (even more trivial than the mix module which is part of the developer tutorial documentation). The dacs module doesn’t contain any functionality above the cv handling in lines or waves so there is no real advantage to using it over the others.

The pitch_shift module doesn’t currently compile… so outside of the code I’m not sure there is much to go on.

1 Like

thanks for the reply.

OK, so I have a more primitive question: What are modules? There is no info in the original link that I posted above. I see what operators do, but I’m confused as to when and why I would need to load a specific module. Would it be safe to call these libraries of operators? Or?

modules are kind of like programs, they’re what the aleph does at any given time: synthesizer, delay lines, drum machine, etc… whereas bees/ops are what you use to control the parameters of any given module

right, but it’s not (very) clearly stated anywhere that you HAVE to have certain modules loaded in order to use basic i/o functionality in the aleph. this is a bit problematic. for example, you need lines or waves in order to convert values to CV outputs, etc.

i suppose it’s possible that what you have access to in a cleared scene is the “default module” that contains some sort of “core”. this is also not explicitly covered anywhere AFAICT.

the default scene is what the aleph saves when you power down, it will save the module you’re running.

if you want to just do cv I’d run waves because it’s less intensive, it’s really no big deal to have a module running even if you just want to do simple things

1 Like