Aleph: Sniarg

Sniarg v.1a

Sniarg_1a.scn (256.1 KB)

This scene uses the Grains Module as developed by @rick_monster, with Bees v.0.8.1.
It makes extensive use of a 128 grid, and won’t give you much until you have stuff connected to your Aleph inputs (audio and pedals). After experimenting a lot with Grains I have settled with this rather neutral starting point, which I tend to modify whenever I feel like it.

Here the grid represents a part of the matrix, which I chose depending on my own choices and tests but of course everything can be changed: again, although you are not supposed to modify anything on the input page here, you could very well do so and change the whole scene behavior.

Now to the point. The grid is divided into several parts: column 15 (the last one) is independent from the rest and controls the behavior of the two grains. In this column all the buttons are on/off. The rest of the 128 deals with the matrix, and allows to choose which source (columns) is affected to which element (rows). In here there can only be one button lit per row, due to Grains’ design.

row 0: ADC 2 input source (0 to 14, see the column numbers below)
row 1: ADC 3 input source (0 to 14)
row 2: grain 1 input source (0 to 14)
row 3: FM source for grain 1 (0 to 14)
row 4: AM source for grain 1 (0 to 14)
row 5: grain 2 input source (0 to 14)
row 6: FM source for grain 2 (0 to 14)
row 7: AM source for grain 2 (0 to 14)

column 0: effect bus
column 1: ADC 0
column 2: ADC 1
column 3: ADC 2
column 4: ADC 3
column 5: grain 1 output
column 6: grain 2 output
column 7: grain 1 echoTap pitchtrack oscillator
column 8: grain 2 echoTap pitchtrack oscillator
column 9: grain 1 echoTap envelope
column 10: grain 2 echoTap envelope
column 11: LFO
column 12: noise burst
column 13: static cv 1
column 14: static cv 2
column 15: SPECIAL FUNCTIONS - see below!

Column 15 has 8 independent buttons, from top to bottom:
button 0: grain 1 - scrub enable/disable
button 1: grain 1 - scrub pitch detection enable/disable
button 2: grain 1 - echo wrap enable/disable
button 3: grain 1 - write enable/disable
button 4: grain 2 - scrub enable/disable
button 5: grain 2 - scrub pitch detection enable/disable
button 6: grain 2 - echo wrap enable/disable
button 7: grain 2 - write enable/disable

Then the switches on the Aleph change the knobs behavior, using the following presets:
switch 0: Start_Length (ENC0: starting point for grain 1 / ENC1: starting point for grain 2 / ENC2: duration for grain 1 / ENC3: duration for grain 2). Good for granular effects. Shown as the 4 first lines on screen.

switch 1: Pitch_Size (ENC0: pitch for grain 1, 256 being default / ENC1: pitch for grain 2, 256 being default / ENC2: duration for grain 1, 256 being default and -256 being full reverse at normal speed / ENC3: duration for grain 2, 256 being default and -256 being full reverse at normal speed). Shown as numbers.

switch 2: FM_AM_LFO (ENC0: FM Level grain 1 / ENC1: AM Level grains 1 & 2 / ENC2: FM Level grain 2 / ENC3: LFO Speed). The LFO is always full on by design in Grains, so you know. Shown as the 4 last lines on screen.

switch 3: Fixed_Note (ENC0: static CV1 / ENC2: static CV2). Good for FM input, for instance. Nothing displayed here, use your ears.

foot switch 1: noiseBurstDecay (long/short). Works in connection with column 12. Nothing displayed.

foot switch 2: noiseBurst (trigger). Works in connection with column 12. The noise burst is, like the LFO, full on by design in Grains so take care when using live. Nothing displayed.

I had originally used some CV input as well but this version of Bees did not allow me to add more elements as it takes more memory from the Aleph than the old one. Also, you’ll find that the grid as a matrix does not display the names on the screen, meaning you basically have to learn the instrument… confusing in the beginning, but then you get it and it just works.

… So how to use it?
I will make a video about it very soon, but I would start by plugging something into one of the 4 inputs of the Aleph (we’ll use input 1 as an example), then make sure all the buttons on column 15 are lit except 1 and 5. Buttons 3 and 7 lock the grain inputs, and will result in two independent loops which you can manipulate afterwards. But first pick an input in the matrix: row 1 / column 1 will give you live sound mostly to the left, row 2 / column 1 will do the same to the right. Now if you use a stereo input you should pick row 1 / column 1 and row 2 / column 2, for instance. Now row 3 / column 1 will take input 1 into grain 1, row 6 / column 1 will take input 1 into grain 2 and so on… Once the grains receive an input, and then only, use buttons 3 and/or 7 on column 15. Otherwise you’ll loop silence.

The possibilities are rather big here, I have made a setup in which I use the whole system to generate feedback of different kinds, for instance. Grains is a lot more than that though (I am working on a rather absurd sequencer for it at the moment), but I have used this scene for many concerts and it has always brought me a lot of joy.

Finally, you’ll find that this uses most of the Aleph capacity as far as Bees is concerned, so that I can’t add much in it for now… but I am open to suggestions for a future version. That’s about it, it does not cover much as far as Grains is concerned but I guess it is a pretty good start.

Enjoy!

11 Likes

EDIT: should work now. Sends to all outputs, so it is up to you what you want to use. Take care with levels at first, until you understand a bit better what you are doing, and have fun!

6 Likes

Thanks!

I’m excited to try this

2 Likes

Thanks for posting this! Will explore it this week.

1 Like