aleph: squeaky encoder CM [Solved]

I was just wondering if there was something (like lubricant or something) that would be safe to use on aleph encoders

What I’ve attempted

• I thought the squeak might be related to the rubber/plastic covers riding too low, so I removed them and turned the encoder post, but it is actually the encoder that is squeaking.
  • I thought a lubricant or something might work, but I wanted to check here to see if there is a specific type that can be used safely with aleph.

Additional comment
I have been working on a series of videos on aleph (they are crummy), and so the encoders have been getting a workout. I was planning to try hooking up a midi controller at some point and using the encoders on it to try and control aleph, but I just though I would ask about potential countermeasures for the squeakiness.

Thank you!

1 Like

i’d be slightly concerned that a lubricant might eventually damage the detection, but if it’s not working well it seems worth a shot. i’d start with the tiniest amount of sewing machine oil on the shaft.

in case the part needs to be replaced, this is the component: EM14A0D-C24-L064N | Octopart

(they’re normally pretty expensive, but it seems they may be in shortage. i think i might have a spare, if you want to arrange for a repair, email help@monome.org)

1 Like

Thank you!

No issues with functionality yet, and the squeaking is still intermittent at this point.

I definitely don’t want to risk damaging the detection, though, so I will just be extra gentle with them for now (and see if I can get an external controller to work, too!)

I remember looking at the aleph BOM (thank you so much for making all of that information available!), and realizing the impact of part lifecycle/minimum order quantity/cost concerns, and I definitely plan to get in contact as quickly as possible if things get any worse!

1 Like