ALEPH user STUDY GROUP

update

Whelp, got laid off from another tech job (blockchain downsizing, crypto bubble burst). Poor me. Motivated for more music making and aleph programming.

I went through the cvQuantize tutorial but I could not reproduce it based only on the text. After some hacking, I was able to get something similar and have a scene that takes CV input and produces a diatonic scale based on scale values in a LIST8. Anyhoo…I’d like to start posting issues like these on the github repository as I work through this stuff, just so we have a record of everything. As we know, the dev tooling is the biggest barrier to cool new stuff on this platform.

I can’t say I enjoy the programming experience on Aleph but somehow I’ve built a performance setup using it as a core component (like the final output mixer) which I know is crazy. After this CV tutorial, a whole new dimension hit me for this thing. Just being able to quantize CV values based on scales is like…super cool. Programming CV + DSP is quite rad. Doing the 266fluctuating tutorial tomorrow.

What would be some more interesting studies? I’m leaning towards one on looping delay with the lines module since I’ve done a lot of work with that one. Maybe also something like “storing values while switching presets?” I ran into that problem when I made a bunch of presets with different operator graph connections but the encoders would jump from the previous values when I switched.

@zebra in haven’t forgot about this thread! I’ll be at your show this Wednesday. I promise I won’t harp about Aleph stuff too long. I’ve begun my performance setup and the Aleph is a key component. Working through the weird integer division stuff and the delay lines read speed decimal division.

I got the build toolchain back on my laptop and was able to compile the dev branch. The mix app loaded and now I don’t need the SD card! I’d like to begin porting some of the code from the lines module and bees params/operators to an embedded firmware. It helps that many of my coworkers are compiler experts. Looking forward to more hacking.

I hope this is the right place to ask a question about Aleph and scenes… I am considering an Aleph to integrate it with my modular setup, but reading the forum i got doubts if its the best way to go, as i do not have coding experience and don’t know if there are a lot of scenes available that are ready to use. I read that bees has been updated and old scenes don’t work?

If that’s your main reason (you don’t feel like wrestling code) I’m not sure aleph would be the best choice.

It all depends how much you found one for…

I would like to learn how to code, but having no background maybe it would take me a while before creating something useful. That´s why i was wondering if i could use some scenes right away… Regarding the price, i have seen one on reverb and a couple on this forum between $700 - $1000

The development process for Aleph is esoteric and time consuming. It would baffle most people who come out of one of those web-centric “learn to code” camps. I do not recommend this platform as an introduction to computer programming.

If you want to learn about microcontrollers and specialized programmable DSP hardware, it’s a great platform. But I don’t think that’s what you are looking for. Have you considered Norns? The programming interface is much simpler.

Thanks for your message. Yes, i think i will go for Norns, seems it would be better for me.