ALEPH user STUDY GROUP


#81

probably

unless


#82

what the hell!!! this sounds amazing!!!

what is a tonality diamond?

and could you say more about what this means -
“develop & debug ops & modules on linux, using puredata or jack/OSC”


#83

This sounds fantastic! Just out of the blue!?*?!!?


#84

secret plans and clever tricks indeed…
it looks like a huge step forward, on many levels. thanks.
i’ll surely try.


#86

only thing i can think of is maybe the frame-processing function is just running out of time? if you are calling cv_update at the end of it?


#87

running these lines on top in frame processing, just want to get a zero voltage output as a first test.

static u8 cvout = 0;
cv_update(cvout, 0);
if(++cvout == 4) cvout = 0;

now luck so far, will dig further in the waves and bees code to find what I’m doing wrong.


#88

found the problem, it was a broken cable (head flat against keyboard)


#89

a harmonic/melodic construct arranging all the distinct permutations of consonant ratios within the canonical octave. These ratios are laid out in a square or diamond - you can play it as an instrument or trigger the ratios by their x-y coordinates from any BEES op. There’s a proper explanation on wikipedia, and an example scene in the zipfile. This scene also demonstrates new POLY operator…

Should be able to ‘make sim’ in most of the dsp modules & run [module]_jack as standalone jack clients on a linux box. params can be pranged from cmd line using oscsend tool:
oscsend localhost 7770 /param ii 22 1 (hit param 22 with the scaled 32 bit value 1)

As for the puredata support it could use some more attention & releasing separately. try building the external in utils/pd (may require some prodding) & running the .pd files in that directory…


#90

I couldn’t get it to work.
I booted up on my freshly made SD-card, but it wouldn’t show any modules at all.
When i went to the operator page i couldn’t see any of the new operators either.
Has anybody gotten it to work? The tonality diamond sounds really interesting!


#91

yes, been trying out the new lines… i love the varispeed functions (though of course now miss the weird lo-fi style of the old ones)
the scene examples show off a full on acid machine :slight_smile: not my thing… but awesome

did you install the new bees hex file?


#92

ah thanks ok…
i tried sending encoder outputs into the x and y inputs but couldn’t get any reading on the Hz output, will have a look at the example files…

( the ‘make sim’ stuff is a bit over my head sadly… managed to build a toolchain once but i could never understand how to create/use buffers in the AVR32 stuff so I threw in the towel and stuck with Bees programming )


#93

Recopied everything to my SD-card. Now it works. Some great stuff here!
I couldn’t get the scenes to work. It just freezes up at ‘reading network’, but I’ll look into that and see if i can get to work.


#94

hmm… have you wiped your old copies of modules etc?
you need to also install the hex not just copy… ( hold down the mode button while rebooting, then choose the new version of Bees, takes a few minutes to write it, you’ll see the pixels progressing across a block on the screen)


#95

aah, of course. installed the new hex, had forgotten all about the that!


#96

Oh, this is sweet! Thanks a bunch!


#97

Forgot to mention - none of the example scenes make a jot of sense unless you also own a monome grid (only tested on a new-ish varibright grid kit):

With no grid, this should work:

  • first set SIZE to 6
  • then set 2 encoder ranges both 0-6
  • connect those to X & Y
  • connect sw1 to BONK
  • hook up Hz to a Hz input on, e.g waves.
  • set play screen visibility on X & Y to see where you are on the square
  • tap SW1 to emit a Hz value

with a grid, create a GRIDRAW & a HARRY:
X -> X
Y -> Y
BUT -> BONK


#98

trying to get 1v/oct custom scales to the cv outputs, after many attempts and edits of this post, 1 octave is 0xccccccc, yey!


#99

So on the subject of BEES’ preset system… Currently (as I understand it) the list of which inputs/outputs (set via INC/EXT) is ‘global’ across all presets.

Wouldn’t the aleph preset system be significantly more useful if the list of INC/EXC params were actually stored inside the preset? So for example you could set up a scene where:

  • presets 8-11 recall particular subset of the DSP parameters (e.g a single dsyn voice)
  • recalling presets 0-3 affects just the encoders
  • recalling presets 4-7 affects just the switches

This seems like a great idea to me, and hopefully manageable without cluttering the UI - wondering what other BEES users, devs & other aleph enthusiasts might think of this (obviously scene-breaking) change?

EDIT:
reading through the source code it looks like this is already what is supposed to happen, interesting…

EDIT:
just fixed a couple of pretty trivial bugs affecting preset system (leading to this misunderstanding of the design) - will post a minor update with these changes after testing some more…


#100

I like how the presets work in buchla system. They are global, but you can opt-out any individual module with a remote switch. Also the ability to sequence the presets was great.


#101

( if i understand the question correctly ) I think this is already the case…

have a look at this scene and docs i posted

(BTW loving your bees update!!!.. about to rebuild this scene to work with it… though i do miss the lofi quality of the old pitch shifting a little bit)