All Things Lorre Mill

Really intriguing device. I’d be interested in finding out more as well.

Thanks for posting. It’s good to know I’m not some crazy outlier.
There is no hidden somethingorother we’re missing. It’s just Will’s choice, which has severely limited the range of the Fall, when CV’d.
I don’t understand it, but I am now at peace with it, as he’s told me, several times, that this is how it is meant to be.

1 Like

Where did you see this info about a new DK? Anything more to share?

Nothing more to share, I’m afraid, other than Will said he was working on a ‘new’ Double Knot.

3 Likes

Today I was fooling around with VCV rack trying to emulate the Double Knot, and I had some pretty good results. I think I have most of the functions simulated, except for the clock modulations.

The fixed voltage source acts as the high bit, and it is input into the register via the manual gate/VCA. I used a mute to simulate the low bit. This is wired in the familiar mobius loop configuration. There are two R2R’s for the DAC’s generating the pitch CV, followed by an attenuator.

Two triangle VCO’s are FM’d via the Befaco ring mod, then the rampage is used as the output envelopes.

Not entirely convincing replication but it still has the characteristic fm-sqonk.

7 Likes

Just as you posted that I was starting work on this, which is a Teletype 3 homage to Keyed Mosstone. Not finished but getting towards something, maybe… Messy details, if anyone is interested are here - > teletype : code exchange

https://vimeo.com/334329615

3 Likes

very cool demo! wish I had a grid to try this out with. What voice did you use in the demo? it was nice and pluck-y

Thanks! Just a simple Make Noise STO into Optomix. Was focusing on the coding.

I made my first DIY box to connect euro & Benjolin to my Lorre Mill & Buchla instruments :slight_smile:

9 Likes

Nice, what is the right hand side for since it looks like banana to banana? Also, where did you put the ground jack?

Diodes go between the plugs, they take away the negative voltages (Both music easel & double knot are recommended not to feed negative volts). Might be a bit overprotective thing, since I have fed both instruments in the past with also occasionally some negative signals (before I knew about this recommendation) and nothing blew out… Ground plug is in the other side. I also have lowgain electronics regular converter box.

2 Likes

Great idea! I’ve been considering a Mosstone lately and that would be a good idea if I wanted to interface it with my 73-75 Homebuilt Serge.

1 Like

been thinking of that 73-75 as well…

Is this a kit or did you come up with the design yourself?

Not a kit, but it’s super simple, everyone can do it… you can see the diode thing on this same thread (my post of the box was a reply to it). I also opened the lowgain electronics converter box I had and checked out how it was arranged.

1 Like

Just ordered two boards, got components on the way as well. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

1 Like

hei, @Allieway_Audio thanks for awesome overview of Double Knot and Mosstone in your youtubez! :pray:

Blink and you’ll miss it but this appeared in the gallery section today. edit, misread CD4051 as CD4015s. CD4051 is an analog multiplexer so this may be an entirely different thing than the Double knot actually, CD4046 clock, and transconductance amplifier for VCO. There are a couple of parts here that remind me more of a benjolin, the 4013 flip flop, and NOR gate. The output envelope is all discrete which was mentioned in this blog post (http://lorre-mill.com/2018/09/09/more-on-simple-envelopers.html) Love it, more CMOS logic the better!

edit 2 putting on my lunetta hat I actually recognize what might be going on here, I think the counter and MUX are arranged like this melody generator circuit (http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-27239-50.html) I am not sure what the 333 to the left represents. But the more I look at this, I think it is a sequencer type arrangement.

5 Likes

the 333 area to the left side could be similar to this circuit. Maybe a series of touch points that latch v+ when touched? Touching a combination of these points would create a stepped waveform.

Hi. A Double Knot question I hope that someone here can help me with: One of the sequencers of my DK behaves strangely. When connecting step 7 or 8 of it back to the bit input of either one of the sequencers, it feeds it one bit per beat, regardless of whether the feeding sequencer has active bits to feed or not. Also, when the synth is turned on, both the stepped cv out light and the step five light of the sequencer whose behaviour I speak about is on, not, as on the other (as far as I can tell well functioning) sequencer, where only the stepped cv light is on. (The well behaving sequencer does not feed a bit to the bit inputs every clock signal from output 7 and 8.)

In short, I suspect the one sequencer is malfunctioning. I have used the Korg SyncKontrol app for iPhone to give the DK a bpm, I also (may) have fed the DK cv from the Bastl Kastl. As I understand sending negative voltages to the DK is a bad idea. But how bad of an idea is it really? May this be what has caused the situation? If so, can anything be done to restore the balance of the synth?

Or could it be something different alltogether?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.