ALM Busy Circuits Squid Salmple

So, ALM Busu Circuits did a demo of their upcoming Eurorack sampler a couple of days ago at Control in NYC, sharing the final name of the module and more technical info.

From Instagram (Source: Nullsleep)

Eight sample polyphony, real sampling capabilities (of both audio and CV) and not just a sample player, 99 banks of samples (could potentially be increased with future firmware updates), ~11 sec max sample length, CV control over looping, cue points, bit depth, envelope (for pseudo-delay when used in combination with looping mode) and more.

Looks so good! Very excited to play with it. Really been wanting to see a powerful but straight forward, classic Eurorack sampler, and this seems to check every box. Love that it seems to have full control over bit depth and sampling frequency, even with CV. Recording audio and CV on different channels is also very powerful, opening up for self-patching, re-sampling and mangling heaven. Still no price or date afaik.

12 Likes

Thanks for that news. Does it still look around 20HP, like the prototype:

The prototype has gorgeous colors though. I also wouldn’t have unloved a sampler called ten questionmarks with it’s name set like that… But I digress!

4 Likes

I know! I trust someone will make “Prototype Questionmark” alternate faceplates for the true believers.

8 Likes

this looks cool and love the name. depending on the price, could compete with the Erica Sample, although they are kind of different beasts.

Saw a demo of the grey version at Brighton Modular last year. Really very impressive - especially all the trigger/CV control around sampling and looping; integrated nicely into the instrument.

1 Like

Was at the demo at Control, very impressed by this thing. Not sure if its coming to my system because I don’t know what would leave… but I could see it being part of a really awesome small instrument with a trigger sequencer and some effects in a skiff.

The samples will retrig right up into audio rate! And it can be patched to resample itself.

Surprisingly, no-one asked after the target price of for production.

7 Likes

Exactly my thoughts – this is so powerful it really lends itself to making a small, standalone instrument entirely based around it. Imagine a small skiff with a Squid alongside a NerdSeq, some kind of modulation module like Maths, an effect like Lyra FX and a filter like Mum M8. Groovebox fun!

Kinda wrong place for this but does anyone know anything about the MCF that cameos that Nullsleep video (https://www.instagram.com/p/Bv4Mlial_xe/)

2 Likes

Was searching around for the price to no avail, but DivKid uploaded a walkthrough this morning, thought I should leave it here!

3 Likes

reported price was £399

which…is pretty good?

make/break for me is how capable the live sampling/time stretching is. if its capable, then i dunno this looks like i might need it.

2 Likes

this looks very nice for the price - apparently I2c capable (a friend told me, I haven’t dug into it but yay!)

2 Likes

Damn, this is actually more or less exactly my setup for one of my side project. Coded in Max.
That’s really funny how this comes out as I got back to it a few days ago. Super nice module.

1 Like

Seems really nice, but given the HP and power usage, it’s hop and a skip to an ER-301. Certainly different beasts, but given the flexibility of the 301, it seems like stiff competition. :thinking:

2 Likes

Very good point. And I already own ER-301. GAS extinguisher.

5 Likes

and it has a i2c port at the back

While the 301 is more capable in many ways, there are design choices that make the squid look a little more immediate if salmpling is a priority. Also 1-2ms latency and cv playback :eyes:

7 Likes

As salmpling is a priority for me, and immediacy is a priority, and as I prefer to buy finished products as opposed to “still in development” ones, this crosses the finish line a few steps ahead of the 301, IMO.

6 Likes

20 chars of “yeah me too” to @shellfritsch and @bobbcorr

1 Like

I’ve been considering adding a sampler to my setup and this is a serious contender, but I’m a little uncertain about the way the outputs are setup: I understand there’s not enough room for individual outputs, but making them assignable might have been a better solution? Perhaps it’s less of an issue than I’m worrying about in practice…

Also, there’s a little expansion connector in the back, but no mention of it on the site or the manual :thinking: