Ansible 1.6

ansible

Glad I could contribute something to this awesomeness! :grin:

cool. Are there updates to the docs needed? It feels like I’m going to need to… rebase the Earthsea docs in, erk. Guess I have some fun typing times ahead!

sure. I can also take a pass when I rewrite the final Earthsea docs - I think there’s mainly just some consistency to put in place, and also perhaps some tonal stuff to make it feel like a single thing. Before I’ve got a pull request ready to go, I’ll get in touch and we can confirm things!

OK - @fma, @tehn, @freqout - I have taken a copy pass on my own fork of the docs. You can see the changes here - https://github.com/monome/docs/pull/37 - this is FOR DISCUSSION rather than me riding roughshod over anything.

Mainly what I’ve done is: brought things in line with the ‘house style’ which is entirely something I’ve reverse engineered. Also done some work on clarity for new users unfamiliar with Ansible, and making things more documentational and less narrative. I would prefer there was discussion on that PR rather than just ‘yay’ or ‘nay’. The diff view will show you what I’ve done.

The teletype commands still need documenting - I’ve added them at the bottom with !!TODO!! because I don’t know what they do yet.

My idea is: I am happy to tidy in the PR and get it to a point where everyone is happy. @Fma, this is great, especially all the illustration work.

This is so good! Kria is getting better and better, more flexible and fun. Can’t really think of a better sequencing platform.

One question I’ve been pondering ever since I got my Ansible + Grid combo is duration. How does it actually work? To begin with I didn’t pay much attention to the feature because it didn’t seem to make any difference whatever I did with it. Just last night I revisited the docs and wanted to get hands on with it, and suddenly it made these wonderful accents to my sequences - but it only worked with one of my voices. After some testing I figured it wasn’t a bug with the firmware or module, but that it had to do with the set up of my voices. With my Tonestar 8106 everything works well - it is a full voice semi-modular eurorack module. So TR1 from Ansible goes to gate in and CV1 goes to 1V/oct. Now, with voice number two the set up is this: Just Friends in sound mode into LxD gated by envelopes from Maths into the CV input (not strike). So, TR2 to Maths trigger input and CV2 to v/8 time on JF. When I play around with the duration feature on Grid it doesn’t seem to make any difference. After som time I tried sending TR2 to Maths’ signal input thinking that inoput is direct coupled and cha-ching: duration changes seems to work to some extent depending on the envelope settings from Maths. With say, my 0-coast this doesn’t work as there’s only one gate input and it seems unaffected by the duration settings - although there may be some work around?

Hope this make sense.

So my question is: is there any knowledge on requirements for the duration functionality to work? And should the documents include this? Or should all this be obvious? I’ve read the documents over and over, and the duration part never came clear to me. Now that I’ve come to learn a little more about it and got to work with it, I have to say it is a super powerful feature. It can really make the sequences very lively!

Kria provides a gate out rather than a trigger. So duration impacts how long the output voltage is held high.

With Maths, the trigger input will fire the envelope rise segment on the trigger, and immediately fall after the end of rise. Gate in will trigger the rise on fate going high, and hold high until the gate goes low at which point the fall section kicks in. So provided the duration of the gate length is longer than the rise time, you’ll hear the impact of duration.

Thanks @GoneCaving! Makes sense : - ) I’ve been experimenting a bit just now, trying to feed the TR output from Ansible right into a LPG, with some cool results. Also with the signal input and pretty short and tight envelopes from Maths.

Ah, I love Kria…

I’ll take a look when my tea has kicked in

just bumped another commit to this PR. Turns out 1.6.0 also includes shortcuts for track muting, and a way of specifying if a track is clocked by Teletype! The only reference to this functionality is literally in an old PR and early in the thread.

So:

• I’ve added new prose to describe track muting (hold loop, tap track);
  • I’ve added description in the TT section of all the TT functions based on the code, I think I’ve done it roughly accurately, but a pass from @freqout would be good… mutes seem to be 0 for all, 1-4 for channel… but are KR.CV and ME.CV 0-indexed (ie, 0-3)?
  • also - when you say ‘top left of pattern page’ for enabling teletype clocking per channel - which row? Patterns are the top row of the pattern page, y’see. That’s about the only grid feature I can’t quite visualise from text and code alone.

Shouts to @fma for his work on the docs, though. Seriously: code patches without docs for them are trees falling in woods, and for everybody following every thread on Lines, there are monome product owners who just have the official docs to go from.

Thanks for going over all this so carefully. This must be a typo… teletype clocking is switched on in the upper left of the scale screen.

I’m on my phone right now, but I believe the KR.CV and ME.CV go by the same indexing as the Levels and Cycles CV ops.

ace - will get that in!

• OK, updated in the PR.

You guys are too good to us! Many thanks indeed.

one quick addition:

With Maths, the trigger input will fire the envelope rise segment on the trigger, and immediately fall after the end of rise. Gate in will trigger the rise on fate going high, and hold high until the gate goes low at which point the fall section kicks in. So provided the duration of the gate length is longer than the rise time, you’ll hear the impact of duration.

note that when you put something into the trigger in, the voltage level it rises to (and then falls from) is fixed to 10V. By contrast, when you put a gate into the channel input, the channel will rise to the voltage at that input. This may be less than 10V…

Yes, good point. Think of Maths as a slew limiter and that becomes obvious.

About alternate notes, from the manual : what do you mean by “notes are added” ?

@freqout can talk about the actual math … and he does below :slight_smile:

KR.CV from three tracks controlling three voices of Just Type Synthesis. This is a game changer, massive thank you to @freqout

It’s a bit like an in-scale transpose. Think about the 7 buttons for each step of the note screen as zero-based indexes to access the notes in the scale. If both note pages have the lowest note (0), the note will be the root. If you ignore the alt-note page, it’ll alway be 0 and won’t effect the sequence.

Let’s say that the current main note is the 4th button up (index 3 of the scale) and the alt-note is the 3rd button up (index 2). This step in the sequence will be the 6th note in the scale (3 + 2 = index 5 of the scale, i.e. the 6th note). And of course it will wrap around.

The possibilities for alt-note become interesting if you alter the probability, clock division or have its loop go out of phase with the main note.

What do you mean by this?

I’ve updated my PR on the docs with your explanation of note addition, it’s clear that’s needed!

Thank you, this sounds great.