Ansible Earthsea

Yes i meanin „pattern voices“ isnt that voice allocation?
It is only visible when in the mode (pad left down depressed)
It is there right after startup…just i think it wasnt at first.
I can depress the next pad (cv collumn) then that one is lid and the one in line with the gates goes off. Nothing i do changes it and i ve no idea what it means

sorry, but what do you mean when you say cv/gate column? voice allocation does not correspond to ansible outputs. the column on the left represents pattern voices, the column on the right is live voices.

When the pad left/down is depressed, i enter pattern voices / live voices
To my understanding the left of the 4 active pads (in my case only 1 active) represents the 4 triggers and the right the 4 cv gates?

But the led thats lid down there shouldnt be!?

Is there any othet manual for me to study then the original ES and the quick refernce? I feel i really missing basics :confused:

no, a “voice” is a CV/gate output pair. on voice allocation page the left column represents voices (so, both CV and trigger outputs) allocated for recorded patterns and the right column represents voices allocated for live playing.

did you see this manual? it has a very extensive section on voice allocation: https://github.com/infovore/monome-docs/blob/aearthsea-docs/docs/modular/ansible/index.md#voice-allocation

not sure why that LED is lit but if it doesn’t affect functionality i wouldn’t worry about it.

I was indeed missing that manual updated to aerthsea!
Thank you!

Jup everything seems to work normal. I have voice problems with a disting mk4 multisample algo and thats why i noticed. But that issue is most likely not grid/earthsea dependent

hey, i have an idea!
i know that @scanner_darkly is really busy with teletype and other projects but…
what about a version of ansible earthsea that is monophonic but has 4 parts?
last row first column might host a selector with which you navigate the 4 parts.
all independent with (if possible) a button with which you decide if the actual part is or isnt following the external clock (when plugged).
then each part has its own gate\cv out couple

i think the actual earthsea for ansible is really great, you can do a lot of interesting polyphonic stuff with it. but i very often use it for rhythmic parts and in that case it is a bit difficult to perform patterns for more than one “instrument” (or drum piece, if you prefer).

imagine instead an earthsea where you can record your performance for kick drum, then move to next page and record a bass line, another page for additional percussions and a last page for chopped up samples (i use an er-301 and ansible earthsea goes along amazingly with it).

another bonus is that additional gestures might be added there , like shape memories, which are impossible to perform on the actual poly earthsea. but i think that feature might be added even in a second moment.

i know i make it sound easy when it is in fact a lot of work but consider it a call for people with programming skills (unfortunately i’m not one :slight_smile: )

when i get back to ansible earthsea i’m planning to add multiple simultaneous pattern playback, which will cover this functionality somewhat. but probably not in the form you describe - that’s essentially creating a separate UI mode, which i think is more suitable for a separate app (norns might be a better platform for that)

Shameless self-promotion, but my performance in last week’s Powwow stream was entirely controlled with Ansible Earthsea. Many gracious shoutouts to @scanner_darkly and the work you’re doing!

awesome, will watch tonight - thanks for posting this!

Awesome - I watched this live when you played

I hooked Ansible Earthsea to the Buchla and it works really well. I did it as a test as I want a dedicated 4 channel Ansible / Buchla converter. In the meantime i used a Disting (Buchla / Euro algorithm) / Lo gain converter box for 1 channel plus a CVGT1 for another channel.

@geh2oman - beautiful and really inspiring. i need to practice my playing skills…

@mlogger - love the way you use earthsea. i remember watching your earthsea videos before and thinking, i have no idea what’s going on but it looks super interesting…

thanks for posting the videos, this is a really good incentive for future development!

yes i get it. thing is i think that ansible is a very powerful module combined with grid and somehow i hope that new apps or different versions of actual apps will show up in the future for this peculiar platform. a bit like the plethora of apps you can use on computers with grid :slight_smile:

yeah, i would definitely love to see more apps for ansible and trilogy modules! the problem is - modifying firmware requires more effort and specialized knowledge compared to, say, max. or compared to teletype / norns - you could even say their main purpose is to minimize that barrier as much as possible, so more people can create and modify apps. that’s why i think that norns (or grid teletype integration…) might be a better platform for this as it allows you to modify existing apps easily.

this barrier is also the reason for not having multiple variations of the same app. it’s entirely possible to create multiple versions, but if there is a bug found that affects every version they all have to be updated, and we again run into the fact that it can only be done by very few people who have the toolchain set up.

having said that, i do plan to make more apps for ansible/trilogy. i kinda want to do a 303 sequencer for fun. and i have some ideas for ansible earthsea. just need to find the time…

Since getting my Ansible, I’ve pretty much only used Earthsea. Multiple sequences has me very pumped! Here’s hoping you can find that time! :grin:

Amazing work as always! As someone who similarly plays a lot of live parts on Earthsea, how are you controlling the attack and decay shapes here? Are there foot controls?

Thanks, I trigger 2 envelopes per oscillator. The second envelope feeds back and controls the attack on the first . I also multi Earthsea CV and use that for the decay sometimes so the higher up the keypad the more the effect. Also I sometimes use the pulse out from the first envelope to the middle section of the 266e and feed that back to the decay of the second envelope. I play about with cv feedback loops until I get it to sound the way I like.

perhaps this has already been discussed - but what about utilizing the TT param knob as a way to implement the shapes feature? would have to have some kind of monophonic mode obviously so that the ansible CV outs could be used for shapes, but it would be awesome to have that functionality somehow on the ansible version!

no plans to add shapes, sorry. several reasons…

having to use another module to unlock this functionality would mean complicating the UI for a very specific use case. and the original module already does it, and does it well as it was designed with shapes in mind.

more importantly, from a development point of view it’s much less interesting for me to simply replicate the existing functionality. i’d rather explore new ideas building on the foundation of poly earthsea. and i think it’s more beneficial to have different varieties of earthsea, each one expanding it in a different direction (not to say that some cross pollination of ideas won’t happen), and i’m looking forward to seeing what direction norns earthsea will take.

having said that, you could achieve something similar already. record a pattern, then assign some voices to it. then assign a separate voice to live playing, connect its trigger to teletype and CV to teletype CV input. then on teletype have a script that reads the CV and scales it to a pattern index and updates teletype CV outputs with pattern values at that index. so now you can play a pattern and use live playing to trigger shapes based on where you press. not a complete replacement but you could get 64 different shapes this way.

i can very much get behind that philosophy, and greatly appreciate all the work you are doing!