Ansible Earthsea

ah i see. it’s easy to add, the problem is translating it into shortcuts, it needs to be something easy to remember/press

i like the top row mlr position idea. the first time i started playing with earthsea, that’s actually what i thought it was, since that’s where the “progress bar” is displayed.

regarding the speed change runes, what sort of intervals were you considering? the existing half/double speed steps work well for me–they’re actually very musical, especially for meandering ambient pieces, or as a series of faster notes run through fx like clouds and morphagene, to generate a wash of notes. it’s easier to input a couple of half-speed runes and then move the fine-tune setting on the Time page, than have to remember how many 7/8 speed runes i just pushed. i think the existing half/double mechanism works well enough–further changes can be made on the time page, or via clock in.

curious to know how clock in works with the manual runes or on-grid time page: does an external clock override all other settings? will runes then work as multiples or divisions of that clock?

I managed to miss this one somehow, but so glad to have found it. Have wanted this for a while after selling my original earthsea.

Great work again @scanner_darkly.

I never used the original Earthsea in one of my tracks, as it was not possible to clock it. This version sounds like a dream come true. Thank you so much @scanner_darkly . Can’t wait to try it out.

The original Earthsea is clockable via teletype. I like switching between the original timing and a steady or modified teletype clock.

Yes, of course. Sorry. I don’t have a TT. I was talking about the “regular” way of clocking.

Ah, sorry - you are roght of course! I tend to forget that there are actually who do not use a teletype. I2c over Earthsea was one of the main reasons I got one. Sequencing irregular sequences is such a great fun.

When I ever understand, how Teletype actually works, I might just get one, too :slight_smile:

Just spotted this…
@scanner_darkly and @freqout could you please possibly merge the 2 works?
that would be amazing…the transposition feature + earthsea WOW

(edited: forgive me if I am asking too much )

I’ve submitted a pull request to the main monome repo for Ansible. once it gets accepted and merged, @scanner_darkly will be able to pull it into his branch.

Is it too early to request some demos? As an Earthsea owner (and fan) I’d really love to see this in action, and perhaps participate in some pros/cons/compare/contrast discussions. Thank you for your help.

It’s not possible to update the Ansible firmware without losing presets, right?

Super amazing work!

With regards to talk about multiple mono mode… I had a thought:
Considering we’re already working with kind of a fretboard/string layout, we could build upon this model and have notes pressed on different rows play simultaneously, but have monophonic stealing along a single row. This could get complicated, maybe this is more of a Teletype/Grid project (which I might take a shot at next week), but just thought I’d throw the idea out there.

i will merge @freqout’s features when i see a corresponding update to the ansible docs— calling all those who appreciate his contribution— help make sure the docs don’t fall behind

looping/cutting does sound awesome. thanks :slight_smile:

any more thoughts on overdub?

when you say the time page, do you mean the edge mode? perhaps i didn’t explain well… here is what i would like to add:

• runes for double/half speed can still be included as before
  • there will be additional runes for smaller speed adjustments, say by 25%
  • speed change will be non destructible (right now if you double the speed you lose precision)
  • when you apply the speed runes you will have 2 choices - to increase/decrease note length proportionally, or to keep them intact
  • regardless of how the speed runes were applied the edge mode will override pattern note length when in fixed or drone mode
  • for fixed edge mode you will have the ability to apply the current length to all pattern notes (destructible change)

and a couple more related things:

• i’ve changed the edge mode to be per pattern (saved with the pattern)
  • i’m planning on making linearize rune non destructible, so you can go back to original timing.

external clock completely ignores pattern note intervals and length. runes will not work as mul/div (which i believe is also the case with the teletype clock). tbh the more i play with earthsea the more i think ext clock goes against its nature (at least in its current implementation, i’d rather see it do something more interesting, like stretching/shrinking patterns based on the clock - i am not planning on adding this however).

yep, as @freqout mentioned once his changes are merged into the main branch i will pull them into my version.

i’ve been posting clips on my instagram account. i’m afraid that will be the extent of it for now. i started a new job on monday and my time is depressingly limited at the moment… the best way is to install it and try it out!

unfortunately, not.

i’m afraid this will be better for a teletype/grid implementation as you mentioned. i’ve got a concept for voice allocation in my head that should play nicely with some additional (hopefully exciting) features i’m planning.

yes! definitely coming. i’ve got some interesting ideas for it too… :slight_smile:

I’ve ‘backed up’ presets by taking photos of each page and reentering them.

Ha! Twenty characters of Old Skool! :slight_smile:

sorry for the confusion; i’ve been deep into kria and meadowphysics over the last week, so i had somehow thought their time settings (the two grid rows) could be set on earthsea in the same manner.

still, being able to clock ansible earthsea somehow, at the very least by syncing play/rec to a trig, is desirable. the way that teletype handles earthsea II clocking, where each tick plays the next recorded pattern event (note, shape), would be really handy in ansible earthsea. for example, a regular clock pulse is pretty much automatic pattern linearization/quantization. or, send it a randomly fluctuating clock to generate unpredictable note events–like a slow burst clock from Qubit Chance.

both are already implemented in the latest beta. trigger input 1 advances to the next pattern event (it will autodetect when something is connected to it and stop internal timer), trigger input 2 resets/starts playback.