Ansible for JUST midi/cv conversion

Hey guys - I was wondering if I may lean on some of you for some advise regarding a midi to converters…
I was just gonna grab a yarns and be done with it but seeing as I just ordered an ansible,arc and teletype I’m wondering if I should ditch the yarns and grab another ansible. Thoughts?

don’t know what your requirements are. but if you’re after polyphony, ansible (as of yet?) just does cycling through 4 voices, which doesn’t feel very natural when playing on a keyboard IMO. yarns has a heap more options (sorted voice allocation, duophonic, arp and a lot more). that being said, the many options also mean a lot of menu diving. the marquee style display helps to navigate, I personally didn’t like it though.

Myself I don’t need a Midi interface very often so I would go for an Ansible to let it do other stuff in the meantime.

It depends on what you already have if this is a good idea and what you want to do.

I assume polyphony would not be goal since it would take a big system with a lot of redundant modules to make sense. I have too many different oscillators to begin with but no pair of them, not speaking of a quartet.
So to me the polyphonic signal paths were more of an issue than the shift register style of Ansible, which can be fun.

Of course this is all about chord/keyboard uses. It would be different if you are looking for polyphonic sequencing. I would do that within the modular though. Mostly with Ansible and/or Teletype…

remember that ansible allows you to plugin a midi USB keyboard only, to get CV/G out. you can’t plug a MIDI cable into it.

unless i’ve completed missed something, in which case someone will correct me.

also, i think earthsea now does the same - i saw a comment about midi support when i flashed it today - but i haven’t tried it out yet

If you’ve already ordered one Ansible, I’d wait for it to arrive and test it to see if it meets your needs. As @sakul said, it may be weird for you depending on if you’re using polyphony and, as @ether said, whether or not you want to use only USB devices. Also, it’s worth figuring out whether you would use two Ansibles simultaneously.

For me personally, I’m content doing monophonic performance with USB devices, so the Ansible meets my needs. We have a Yarns on the school modular, and the trained keyboardists love it. I find that it’s overkill for my needs… but I’m not a trained keyboardist.

I used it with an iPad and iConnectmidi2+ running various apps. Heres a demo running Fugue Machine - 4 midi channels / cv/gate with Ansible

Hello, I read ansible can act as a midi to CV converter, so can it work with an op-1?

yup! works ace.

one discovery i’ve made:

if you patch the op-1 usb to ansible and then patch audio from the modular into the op-1 audio input you will get a noisy ground loop. this can be resolved with a ground isolator.

Ok so looks like the ansible may actually be preferable for me - I’m a drummer and hardly go near a keyboard and actually have no midi synths left…so this would be for iPad sequencing - maybe something from the daw on occasion…
I’ll be running it via a iconnnct midi+4

Just to refine this point a bit. Ansible (and earthsea) expect to play host to a usb midi device such as a keyboard, op-1, or orther usb controllers. Computers or things like iPads expect to play the “host” as well thus they can’t be directly connected to an ansible module.

If one has an existing midi interface atttached to a computer (or ipad) and one wants to use ansible as a midi-cv interface then I’d recommend picking up one of these guys https://www.roland.com/us/products/um-one/ (that interface was used extensively during the development of the midi portions of the firmware and it something I use frequently with earthsea/anisble).

On a different note if there are enhancements folks would like to see in the ansible or earthsea firmware I’d certainly entertain working on refinements time permitting.

The current rotating voice allocation in polyphonic mode was in part an exploration into whether or not behavior like that could be used to a creative end. My personal experience has been that doing true polyphony on a modular system was far too costly and difficult to achieve compared to multiple monophonic voices.

Digitakt usb midi -> ansible

Hm, as you asked, I wonder if it would be possible to have the same record function earthsea uses for pattern recording in pattern bank performance mode too? You know, like in mar - just for earthsea patterns…:heart_eyes:

For earthsea i’d like to see an option for 4 pattern recorders being outputted from the 4 cv outputs, thanks

I’ve just swapped out my Yarns for a Ansible which is on its way!
Until I pick up a Grid, I’ll just be using the midi to cv functions, particularly like the differential clocked arp mode, and was thinking of grabbing a Beast’s Chalkboard again to push the CV down octaves so one variant would be the lead, the other could be bass etc. but implementing something like ‘normal, one octave down, two octaves down and one octave up’ could lead to some cool layering.

My query regarding suggested ansible/earthsea enhancements was largely directed at the MIDI functionality and what (if anything) might make it more useful…

Regarding the ansible arp mode one change I had considered was loosing the fourth arp clock division output and replacing it with an end of arp pattern trigger (along with a CV output based on the number of held notes). The thinking was to then add teletype commands for doing pitch offsets, arp pattern changes, etc. and trigger those commands via the end of arp pattern trigger to allow for lots of variation to be established.

I guess I’m in the minority here having started my eurorack journey with 3 same oscillators. I understand why, there is already so much to do with one voice. And tuning is sometimes a PITA. I often use silent way for that, as it allows to auto calibrate.

BTW polyphonic doesn’t necessarily mean multiple identical signal paths. Think 3 oscillators receiving CVs from a held chord, release one note. What happens to the next played note on?

That being said, my comment was based on the OPs question comparing ansible vs yarns. I don’t have much motivation for suggesting improvements on the midi implementation when I solely use it with the grid and arc.

I completely agree that ansible’s midi functionality is a small subset of what yarns is capable of and I didn’t mean to imply that the yarns feature set wasn’t useful. IMO the ansible midi mode falls much more into the category of a useful utility which happens to sit along side the primary focus which is grid/arc.

If there are is a voice allocation strategy which seems more useful than rotate I’m all for replacing rotate.

Oh yes - sorry, I totally forgot earthsea midi capabilities. Had a look at it and find it looks quite good with all that tracking and portamento settings…I am just not using it due to having a keystep for my minimal black’n’white adventures and it has CV out. But the add-ons you did could make it interesting to try.

Sorry I didn’t mean to come across as trying to compare the two, I do understand what you mean when you say that the MIDI functionality is a subset and those changes you suggested above to be accessed by Teletype would be great.

Ansible is my way of moving from a midi centered control system to a Grid based one (I’m counting on Meadowphysics to get me where I need to be) and in the meantime I have been playing with an iOS app called Fugue Machine recently which allows for some neat effects by layering and pitching the same sequence to be played faster/slower/higher/lower than the main sequence. I thought this kind of sequencing effect would be more akin to Monome (and hence suitable) style sequencing than traditional arp magic and could have much more flexibility with a small midi-usb keyboard with hold, than the step sequencing paradigm.

I suggest to buy a second hand Oplab from Teenage Engineering (unfortunately it’s out of production), you’ll be able to connect everything with everything, CV, MIDI and USB in any combination, and you could play like a Kraftwerk too :smiley:
Oplab is the core of my hybrid modular-midi system (eurorack, OP-1, G2, Monomachine).

I’m trying to get MIDI to CV working on Ansible.

I’ve purchased a Roland Um-ONE ( as suggested by @ngwese in this thread ) but Ansible doesn’t seem to recognise it. The USB light on the Um-ONE does not light up when plugged into Ansible and the mode does not change.

Ansible is running the latest firmware.
The Um-ONE is recognised by my Macbook and the USB light comes on when plugged in to that.

Am I missing something here?