Ansible for JUST midi/cv conversion

Ofc and thanks for the cv recorder suggestion, being the place this is i throw this function in as a nice potential idea or suggestion for a midi addition as midi additions where earlier said to be welcome to discuss here.
To explain why this would matter to me is simply i need a midi cv for now, i would be interested where the i2c might develop concerning ansible, and the modules future flexibility also with potential addition of a grid or arc later. All this is happening on 56hp so maybe it gets more understandable why i ask?

I dont see a better future save module to take, allready as is, many roles in this context and i wonder if the cv record to its flash would be doable in a not overly time consuming way

I will however see if i can hunt for cv rec in 2hp not sure how easy it would be to implement but maybe you are right and its the best solution

Not so much away from the computer, but without needing to interact with it. Ansible is basically a small chip running software, so it’s not terribly different. Plug your MIDI into Ansible or into your computer and run a program.

Though to be fair, Ansible outputs directly to your modular, and a PD patch wouldn’t do that per se w/o something like an Expert Sleeper’s I/O module that has DC coupled outputs.

Just trying to come up with ways to maybe get what it sounds like you’re describing you’re looking for, given that doing it w/ Ansible would require firmware development and most folks in the community who do firmware development appear not to be working on Ansible at the moment.

What I think you’re describing wanting is custom behavior particular to your setup, which means you’d probably need to do the coding, and PD is much more approachable than firmware development.

Actually thinking about it, you wouldn’t need an Expert Sleepers module, just something that does MIDI-to-CV conversion. There are a lot of modules that do that.

So, in sum:

1. MIDI into computer running PD. Computer screen can be off :slight_smile:
  2. PD does whatever you want it to do, and outputs MIDI.
  3. MIDI goes to whatever MIDI-to-CV module you have at hand, and drives your CV-speaking modular.

„At the moment „ thats the point. Never asked for it, just showing interest in a sidechain development of ansible midi when one of the devs touches it again.

Iam fine with learning to play Just Friends and loop/resample in audio for my early journy and ansible is on its way;)

I made a custum case with a power bank to be free of any outlets and screens. Happy about trigger box tho, but thats offtopic

Dont have midi cv yet. Ansible just ticks many boxes as we probably all agree

Cool! Just trying to give you options to help yourself. Waiting for an open source developer to do something for you can be a frustrating experience :slight_smile: It might be more rewarding or at least faster to learn to do it for yourself.

PureData can run on a Raspberry Pi, so it could be made very portable and off-grid, and screen-less. Again, I’m only suggesting this because of the lower barrier to entry, compared to firmware dev.

http://www.axoloti.com/ might be another option for setting up something custom, and could be wrapped up in an Axo Control. http://musicthing.co.uk/pages/axo.html

I have not done any of these things…they just seem reasonably possible.

Might be worth looking at the Bela/Rebeltech Salt.

I just recieved Ansible with latest firmware including Earthsea and facing a problem with midi.

At first i tried powering my midi keyboard via Ansible but it wouldnt turn on. So i then tried to power the usb midi keyboard (icon nano demands 12v 100ma) via usb to ipad, works fine powered from ipad usb. I have now powered the keyboard with a wallplug, it powers just fine but inserted to ansible STILL nothing. No mode light up, no reaction.

Whats up with that? I wanted to power it from ansible but it not even being recognized when powered by itself is making me quite confused.

Also i noticed that, when i patch a cable from cv out of ansible to Just Friends v8 in, the pitch gets a little drift to higher. Not sure if that’s supposed to be?

For whatever reason when ansible recieves power TR2 is orange lid and stays lid.

those solder joints are absolutely fine (by which I mean: entirely within normal parameters of functional solder joints.)

Ok. I honetly just didnt know. Have no knowledg of pcb soldering.
I obviously also rather meant the stuff around the joints and the black stuff. But what do i know.

So if this isnt connected to my issue i have no idea whats up

If you think that something is wrong with your Ansible, I would suggest reaching out to info@monome.org.

Just did so and got speed reply.

Just for reference i still have no idea whats up. Anybody has some ideas what could be up, what to test etc?

Nothing happens when plugging in a powered usb midi keyboard.

Are you certain that the power cable is correctly oriented? Red stripe to -12v on both case and module?

Yep sure. Seems backward protected too.

Just tried my QuNexus with 3 ansibles, and the behavior is the same for all. Plug in the keyboard and the mode led turns orange, and I seem to be in “Allocation style 1: POLY”.

If this isn’t the case with you, I would assume that something is up and follow up with monome. Sorry I can’t be more help!

Looks like. Mode led stays off. According to docs should be white tho?

Thanks for checking. I would understand if the usb keyboard just wont get powered. But being powered externaly and still not recognized is pretty confusing

Dumb question: does your Midi keyboard have a built-in hub? (My Korg Microkey 37 does, and as a result, it doesn’t work with Ansible).

Interesting . Is that a common thing? Would it it be visible by for example more than one usb jack?
But since its the big (b?) usb plug i dont think so

yeah, I didn’t think so either. always worth asking, though.