Ansible & grid / power issues?

Read post 29-32 in this thread. There is a $3 usb splitter solution. It works fine. Sounds like tehn will be releasing a nice smaller version of this shortly.

1 Like

@unity2k ok, offworld is now availalbe direct from us. i can combine your order if you want since today is a postal holiday and things won’t get dropped off until tomorrow

https://market.monome.org

0 Likes

Awesome. Done. And more awesome for 20 characters.

0 Likes

Thanks for making that available through Monome, Brian.

Anyone here using Ansible/Grid with a Make Noise powered skiff? Wondering if that case has the juice to power Grid without the high pitched noise.

http://www.makenoisemusic.com/cases/skiff

Was thinking about picking up one of these anyway, and would be happy to make it Ansible’s home. Otherwise, Offworld here I come.

0 Likes

I am, and no: the high-pitched noise is very noticeable. Hoping (and expecting) that using an Offworld-1 will sort it out.

1 Like

noise problems-- be sure you’re not dealing with physical noise in your grid-- a batch of 100 back in 2015 got built with ceramic caps on the power lines which make a physical sound coming from the grid.

1 Like

Tried this and it didn’t work for me :confused: if i plug the grid right into a phone charger, it seems to get power (does the little animation when its plugged in) but it doesn’t seem to be getting anything when i run it through the splitter. (I’ve made sure i’m using the side with the red wire still intact.) The splitter in your picture of cutting the wire looks like it is different from the ebay picture you linked though… it’s a bummer because the noise I’m getting is significant and I really don’t want to spend 24 dollars on the offworld just to fix this :frowning:

0 Likes

upon closer inspection…the splitter I ordered doesn’t seem to have data wires, just red and black which I assume are power and ground. that being said…shouldn’t grid still be at least getting power from the side with the wires intact? very confused

0 Likes

hmmm, that’s strange. The one I purchased explicitly mentioned “Both splitter USB Male can charge, but only one usb male can data transfer”. I tried both ends to see which one had the data cable and cut the red power wire in it. Perhaps you got a defective one?

0 Likes

Darn. Yeah one of the ends has data, so I cut the wrong one. But…shouldn’t the Grid be getting power regardless? Its connected to the splitter, and one of the plugs (no wires cut) goes into a 5V mobile charger. Grid doesnt show that it got power (the little animation thing when you plug it). It does when I plug it straight into the mobile charger though.

0 Likes

Yes i agree @n-So. I don’t get why it’s not working for you. I’ve tried connecting my grid with the cable containing both data/power wires to the charger and it works as expected (i can still do this because i cut the power cable on a usb extension cable that connects to it). let us know if you find out what’s going on.

0 Likes

Yeah it’s strange…just ordered a new cable (from different vendor, but seems to be same cable). We’ll see what happens. Thanks for your help!

0 Likes

I’ve just ordered the Offworld-1 from the Monome site and am wondering, with the grid powered externally, what then is the power draw of Ansible? My case is power sensitive/running hot and this could be my permanent fix - fingers crossed

0 Likes

got a new cable from a different vendor and cut the correct side wire this time…it works! thanks so much for the tip!

1 Like

Happy to say it did.

0 Likes

Hey all, having just ordered ansible i’m trying to sort any power issues head on. Will this cable do the job? (After the snip).

0 Likes

that will work - IF - you modify the the data cable by snipping it’s power line. the data line should be 100% isolated from the power line.

1 Like

Cool, can do that no probs. Thanks man.

0 Likes

I have a Make Noise black & gold shared system and the high-pitched noise from the Ansible/Grid was present for me too. I wanted to order the Offworld-1 but it’s out of stock. So then I started to order the parts to build my own. But then I remembered a suggestion from @lyckland in another thread…use a cheater plug (https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cheater_plug).

So I did and magic–noise gone! I’m taking this route until the Offworld-1s are back in stock.

1 Like

Is this issue is effecting all grids or a specific production run? If I opt for a new run of the grid will I be able to avoid this issue?

(I sold my old grid which had this issue a while ago and now I’m looking to get another so I’m trying to make an informed decision.)

0 Likes