Ansible & grid / power issues?

Hey guys,

i’m still fairly new to modular and recently purchased an Ansible for my first rack to use with my grid and midi controller, however I have a constant high pitch tone coming out of the CV outs. This happens with either controllers plugged in and I have updated the firmware but i’m not sure if this is user error or if something is wrong.

Thanks

0 Likes

Ansible bug reports (official)

When I installed the earthsea alternative firmware I had the same problem, just tried reinstalling a few times and it worked in the end. Did it work fine before updating ?

0 Likes

honestly i updated it right out of the box, didn’t even try it before

0 Likes

Well just try reinstalling the firmware following the steps closely, maybe you’re hitting the wrong button when updating (I thought it was confusing as well because you don’t really know wich one is the one) I’m sure you will get it fixed.

0 Likes

Just tried 7 or 8 times re-installing but no luck :disappointed_relieved: im sure we’ll figure it out

0 Likes

i’m 99% sure the firmware itself is not the source, so reinstalling it won’t help. this is likely a USB problem or the issue with some grids generating a high pitched noise: 2015 grid noise fix

2 Likes

the two controllers I have tried with it have been a Greyscale 128 grid 2012 and a arturia mini lab

0 Likes

check this thread: Ansible & grid / power issues?

1 Like

i don’t think im having the same issue that others are describing in that thread, the number of leds doesn’t seem to effect the high pitch tone

0 Likes

Ansible bug reports (official)

when in doubt, power the USB separately.

i’ve ordered more parts for offworld boards but use search for other solutions

2 Likes

ive ordered a usb splitter like the ones above however the sound is also still present with no usb device plugged in at all

0 Likes

whoa, that’s a new one to me.

can you tell us the details of your rack? what power supply? have you seen if it makes noise with no other modules attached?

0 Likes

@tehn its an arturia rack brute 3u, and no nothing outputs from it on its own, but with either my STO or Black Wavetable VCOs it does. I can try and film a short clip of it if that would make things easier

0 Likes

I feel like USB ground loops are becoming more and more of a problem. the Beatstep pro has one that comes with it. I have also come into this problem with a DJ serrate controller that didn’t even need power through USB. Im surprised there are not more products to solve this problem.

0 Likes

hey guys, just tried the adaptor work around that others have tried above however it did not work for me. I still have a high pitch ring outputting from all 4 of my CVs whenever I try and input it into a v/oct input

0 Likes

what oscillator? what output module? have you tried reducing the connected modules to just an output and oscillator? so the power supply is very light on load?

0 Likes

@tehn ive have both a Make Noise STO and an Erica Black Wavetable. So far I have been running either one at a time into a veils VCA because i use that as a mixer, later tonight i could try eliminating that and just outputting directly from the VCOs. Would it be easier for me to PM you with a short video showing whats going on if so I could send you one later tonight.

0 Likes

I am facing high pitched sound (constant pitch independent of oscillator pitch) too with Grid in Ansible. As soon as i detach the usb cable the noise is gone… some frequency settings myke this non audible on Just Friends as Oscillator. But i suppose its just covered.
Its an old grid 64 btw

Is there another thing i can do besides soldering around the grid pcb?

0 Likes

How are you powering the grid? It’s generally a good idea to power it externally (Offworld, Switch etc).

0 Likes

Just via ansible. Fixing myself to any outlet would kind off break the concept of a powerbank driven system. And using the powerbanks usb outs might not keep the grid powered consistent bco of sleep mode

0 Likes