Ansible Kria Feature Requests

Yay!

The mode is changing correctly but I am only short pressing the button, which should give me the preset page, instead it changes modes. I am not pressing any preset buttons on the left cos the preset page never presented itself.

Immediately after a power cycle, it acted a but strange - it loaded to a 6-step sequence, but the sequencer played all 16 steps on the immediate restart. After that, it was repeating at 6 steps.

My memory of this is hazy, I didn’t keep the crashed Kria on for too long afraid that something might fry lol.

1 Like

This is really weird, I’m not understanding in the code how this would happen, it seems like both the short and the long press happen through the same handler function. I set the internal clock to maximum and am using L 1 4: KR.CLK I in the metro script, with M 100, and have run it for an hour or so, then at M 50 for a while without seeing the gates stop working, so I’m wondering if the problem is something else completely unrelated that happens randomly :c

What all is on your I2C bus? I see Ansible, TT, ER301 in the video – I’ve got Ansible, TT, TXo. Really a bit baffled here, it would also be interesting to see if turning off TT clocking and going back to the internal clock would cause the gates to start firing again. Any other notes you can share about your Kria configuration or TT scene might also be helpful, but I realize it’s happened pretty much randomly and so might be hard to recall. You shouldn’t be in danger of damaging anything from a glitch like this since it’s almost certainly just a software issue.

Hey All,
This is my first time trying to update an Ansible.
I’m struggling with finding and installing a dfu-programmer. Can anyone help out or point me in the right direction? I’m on a Mac, and I have both High Sierra and Mojave at my disposal if that helps.

Is this the right link? https://github.com/dfu-programmer/dfu-programmer
I struggled getting that installed regardless but hopefully I’m on the right track.

Thanks!
B

firmware update instructions: https://monome.org/docs/modular/update/

Perfect, thank you! That’s the link I was missing somehow. doh.

Yes, that sounds similar to what I experienced. I had no chance to dig deeper into it by now though. All I can say is that I did not use i2c or any external clocking when it happened. i2c is connected though and I sometimes use the reset all command in tt live mode to get everything back in line. But that did not cause the lockup.

2 Likes

I’ve not had any freezing issue but my Ansible is clocked internally with no i2c connection.

1 Like

I have 301, JF and Ansible connected to TT on the i2c.
I’m sending 7 channels of triggers from TT to the 301 using sc.tr.
I was only using 2 channels of Kria when the crash happened.
Meaning on i2c, it was just this and the kr.clk command being sent, though only kr.clk was being received as the 301 wasn’t setup to receive the triggers in this patch.

But as it happened also as @Leverkusen expressed without any i2c communication is surprising.

Hope we can get to the bottom of this as it will be a disaster if it happens during an actual performance!

@csboling: Ok crashed again today. I still have it on in case you’re online and want me to try things out.

This time I had 4 channels of Kria running. I was on the Octave page of the second sequencer channel when this happened, I played around with some Octaves, then left the grid to tweak modules - this is when it crashed. Again it didn’t crash when I was directly working with Ansible or TT (except the clock).

• Kria still responds to i2c commands (see video for kr.res command), and speeding up the metro or reducing it affects Kria (didn’t managed to video this).
  • Removing the grid and reconnecting it - at first there is no response, then it comes back on after about 10-20 seconds.
  • No alt-notes, glide, ratcheting were used, only Octaves and pulse length.
  • each sequence had a different loop length.

Videos:

2 Likes

does anyone experiment with using kria as a modulation source instead of a melodic source? i suppose you could clock function generators / LFOs with the gate outs and run the cv outputs through slews (unless kria has slew now and i just completely missed that - edit: i just looked at the docs and yes, there is glide! yaya!).

i’ve been imagining a feature where kria can be switched into modulation mode. instead of programming scales you can select waveforms and map how they are scaled to the clock (in the spirt of the 4ms PEG).

i’m aware that this presents so many UI riddles. perhaps it’s better as a completely separate ansible mode…

1 Like

It does, press the Octave page button a second time to program the glide amount per note. Using the tuning mode you can now reprogram a given output to have a totally different CV response if you want. Programming LFOs and stuff would be cool but might require changing some stuff about how the DAC updates in libavr32 work, so there are some technical challenges in addition to UI issues.

1 Like

The max slew rate is pretty fast of I recall correctly. Maybe some sort of range control similar to the duration page could be useful?

2 Likes

I’m splitting it often when using my Verbos Harmonic Oscillator: CV 1 for melody, CV 2, 3 and 4 to drive individual harmonics. With the latter I’m focusing mostly on octave sequencing, because note sequencing is too subtle.

I’m currently using Ansible 2.0, but I assume this was the same before: Is there a reason that the sequence is not visually running when pressing the Probability button? I think selectively editing the probability of specific steps would be much easier with visual feedback.

2 Likes

I’ve often thought this could use some sort of “current position” indication, as well.

I love this idea! Also having a toggle, perhaps in the top right corner to define both rise and fall slew, because IIRC the slew is only applied to the rise, correct?

The slew is applied in both directions, and the DAC code only has a single slew value, so separate rising and falling slews might be a bit of work. I really like the idea of having a time scale selection for the slew like the duration page, are people OK with giving up the top row of keys? Arguably you have more control over this if you have a top row that lets you scale up the slew time, I just need to convince myself that this won’t change the behavior of any existing presets.

3 Likes

I don’t know if this was discussed before, but it would be great to have a “Counter mod”, so for instance an octave shift of a specific step would only be applied every second, third, fourth… time. This could be implemented switchable instead of the Probability mod or on the “empty” Alt Duration page.

1 Like

I’m currently composing a piece for performance and concentrating on building a playable arrangement on kria, and just came up with an idea that I think would be incredibly powerful and useful:

Each channel has its own sequence preset, so when you’re on the preset page, you’d be able to change patterns of each of the four tracks separately. For example, you have a bass line that you want to repeat but you want to change a lead melody. Instead of copying that bass line over to a new sequence, you’d simply just change the lead sequence while the bass remains on the same sequence.

Perhaps a stop function per channel could be implemented here too, where the channel freezes as opposed to being muted, with two options: one being a stop per track per sequence (so changing sequence would bring a voice back in or out), as well as a stop per track that keeps the voice from triggering even when changing sequence.

Would this be possible at all, @tehn, @csboling? And I don’t know if it would work at all with the current meta-sequence feature, but wow it would be so good! Maybe there could be a button above the sequencer page button that could toggle this functionality and the regular sequence page with meta-sequencing?

3 Likes

Why did I never think to self patch ansible in cycles mode before? It really opens things up. If you patch 2 of the gate outs into 1 and 2 you can get cycles that self perpetuate and speed/slow in strange ways depending on the divisions of the rings. Just posting in case anyone else didn’t think to do this yet. Lots of fun.

8 Likes