Ansible Kria Feature Requests

Yeah, like @Jonny, I use either Beast’s Chalkboard or an O_C running Quantermain with quantization off to traverse octaves via the two buttons (for up to four channels). I set Kria’s octave page up one or two octaves up as my ‘center’ and make adjustments with my ‘adder/subtracter’ as needed. It works pretty great.

3 Likes

the beauty of the V/Oct pitch control is that it will work as @TonyIdaho suggests: a half-step in the scale corresponds to a difference of 1/12th of a volt, so ascending and descending will swap if the voltage is precisely inverted. That’s a non-trivial “if”, but it should be possible with an attenuverter set full negative.

ahh actually hold on, it will change major intervals to minor intervals and vice versa, so I was wrong, but it will do something musically interesting at least

1 Like

What if the scale is not equal tempered?

1 Like

the V/Oct standard does presume an equal-tempered scale, but that’s also all that Kria outputs as well.

1 Like

Ok, thanks to you all. I’ll try the Oc Quatermain solution as I have one in my system. Oh, and happy new year!

2 Likes

Fillowing O&C with Marbles makes this even better.
Quantermain does a lot of its stuff step-wise. With Marbles, one can sample and loop the O&C output sequence, dial in a key change or whatever on O&C and then release the Marbles Dejavu for smooth sequence transitions. It very easy.

1 Like

Since the output of Kria is already quantized and playing, it sounds like @fourhexagons is doing octave transpositions on the fly with no need to loop or record any sequences.

1 Like

O&C does octave and key changes one step at a time. Going +- 1on octave or a half-step on key is smooth. Going further, isn’t smooth wo/ sampling.
For me, I don’t sample for octave changes because I only move 1 octave at a time but I do sample for key changes because they represnt more steps of movement.

1 Like

I dig what you’re both saying, @Jonny and @Frogstar. I always end up using Marbles for additional voices to layer with Kria, but I like the idea of running Kria through Marbles for further processing of the melodic material. It’s now something on my list to check out.

2 Likes

Sounds like a fun approach that can lead to some musical results. :slight_smile:

1 Like

possible to add swing percent?
could be implemented in another modifier page like duration

1 Like
Monome ecosystem firmware development backlog

I’m wondering if there is anyway to have a midi mode that outputs clocks for syncing and a mono voice.
I’d really like to have my op-1 sequence a voice and sync the rest of my system.
Could also be cool to have a few different clock times too.

1 Like

Like this idea! Hope this gets it own control in the timing page possibly?

Ive been thinking about this as well, some sort of swing or microtiming?

Maybe instead of the ratchet page, we could have a subdivision page that subdivides each note by a chosen global value (1-6?). And then have on/off buttons for each subdivision. That way you could still get identical ratcheting behaviour by setting the repeats to 4 and turning on as many as you’d like, but also get a world of subdivision possibilities

3 Likes
Monome ecosystem firmware development backlog

Hi! I’d recently purchased a grid 128 - ansible combo and I’m really enjoying it, it’s very fast and inspiring to work with.
I was wondering if features requests are open, here are my thoughts:

• I really like the internal clock generation, it could be possible introduce a button in the clock key menu to enable the clock in to output a clock instead?
    Use the ansible internal clock as a master clock of the system would be a very nice feature.

• what about to add a reset (global or for track) function with something similar to the mute button combo?

• sometimes I really miss a copy/paste function, something like you’ve to hold the copy button, select one or multiple step, release copy button and then hold paste and press where you want to paste it.

What do you think about?

1 Like

I’m not sure this is possible with the hardware. Can someone confirm that these inputs cannot be outputs?

the ansible’s input and output jacks are fixed re: direction.

if you want a clock output you can make a dedicated pulse with one of the four voices?

unfortunately I was pretty sure that in and out are fixed but I was give a try…
Use one track for that purpose could be an option but I think I’ll stay with external clock!

I’ve been spending more time with my Stillson Hammer mk2 lately, and one thing I wish was easier to do on Kria is to basically change the cv scale. So, not “scale” as in “key + scale”, but as in changing each row from semi-tones to some other cv scale. So on my SH2 I can do 0-8v, 0-5v, and then a range of 2v (i.e. 2 octave) ranges for the sliders like 0-2v, 1-3v, etc.

Basically my goal is being able to use Kria to sequence modulation and not just notes. I know I can sort of do this by combining octave and note page sequences, but it doesn’t feel quite as immediate as being able to use a single page with a range of, say 3 or 5v or something. The note voltage steps are too small, and the octaves are too big.

Just call me Goldilocks…?

2 Likes

bumping this to see if there has been an “official” fix to the quantizing issue in the firmware. I’ve read through this post and @tehn had mentioned it as a possible future fix, but haven’t found anything other than this post mentioning it. Thanks

1 Like