Ansible with Teletype - What's Missing?

Teletype is my first foray into the monome ecosystem, so as I booted up my rack with an Ansible connected, I didn’t really know what to expect. Reading through the Ansible page didn’t clear things up too much, as the modes were all referenced with respect to Arc or Grid, and they all seemed to be implementations of older monome hardware, which is all documented with respect to an Arc or Grid, making it hard to understand without one.

What does ansible normally do? Is it within usage expectations for it to do those things without an Arc or Grid?

The only thing I grok at the moment is that in Teletype mode, it’s 4 more TR outs, 4 more CV outs, plus 4 binary inputs (2 buttons, 2 jacks) that are not capable of triggering scripts.

1 Like

Yeah. I believe it was desisigned to work with a grid or arc. It seems to combine the previously trilogy(sans earthsea) into one package that simplies the product line while allowing the user to choose the function or app. Teletype intergration usually opens up the interaction without disturbing the core vision of focused functionality and minimalism that facilitates physical interaction. It seems like bus interaction developed after the design of the first modules and the idea seemed to bloom with the teletype expanders.

3 Likes

the other non grid/arc application is as a midi to cv converter with an interesting arpeggiator.

2 Likes

Just to clarify, beyond what each mode does with a Grid / Arc, is it sensible to have access to the same functionality from within Teletype?

Phrased differently, should Teletype be able to pretend to be a Grid or Arc and do all the same things with Ansible?

2 Likes

No. The Ansible Teletype commands are kind of “meta” commands used to manipulate values that would be difficult to manipulate using grid or arc. Teletype support supplements ansible’s grid/arc functionality, it is not a replacement.

That’s the current situation, anyway. Ansible is open source too, so…

6 Likes

correct. without a grid or arc, the ansible is an output/input extender and a midi-to-cv interface.

3 Likes