Any chance for arc studies both for norns/lua and max?

I have become enthralled by an arc and the incredible potential that it holds. Seeing/using is believing and I have caught the bug. So, I want to try and add Arc capability to Max and Norns… But there doesn’t seem to be a lot in terms of documentation… I can take apart a few of the public scripts, but nothing to help me break down what I’m seeing.

Are there any intentions of adding something simple? I understand that its nothing quite as complicated as the grid (part of why I’m so intrigued by it!) but some direction would be awesome.

Thanks!

4 Likes

this would be dope! happy to pair up on it or help get some snippets “study-ified”, if anybody’s interested in getting started on this? otherwise, i’ll add it to the docs queue :slight_smile:

also, kassel, if you want to start in and just ask questions about what you’re seeing in other scripts, i’m sure we can get some folks to help answer and shape it out that way!

2 Likes

Yeah! I would LOVE to be involved in this. I was going to start a brief thread about the DIY arc as well. I have seen, now that I’ve built something, that having the arc in hand is truly a “to use it is to believe it” type situation… I’m actually thinking that if I truly find ways to program it and use it, I will ask the wife for one for my upcoming birthday… Which might make her pull her hair out considering I’ve just spent a month building this one!!

But I actually see the arc being a clever stepping stone to the grid. Its a bit more straight forward, four inputs, 256 (4 x 64) outputs. Something about that feels a bit more… manageable? So, yeah! I want to try digging in and if this can become a part of my process, fully upgrading to the real one (its drool worthy, jeez)!

So, yeah, in light of potentially starting some conversations about ways that people can become acquainted with the hardware in an introductory way, I figured we can begin to get some more documentation up here.

1 Like

OOoooohhh, good question! I am still looking through some simple scripts in max. Lua is a bit tougher for me to get my head around, but I’ve just installed Arcify and am attempting to apply it to MLR… I will look at angl next, as this happens to have much of the ‘momentum’ effect that makes the arc so special…

I will get back to you!

1 Like

prior to the creation of an arc study… i’d first suggest doing the norns studies before going straight for arc integration, otherwise you’ll get hung up on a lot of not-arc details.

for max check out the monome package, which includes some some arc examples and also returns which is an excellent candidate for pulling apart to see how it works. again, you need to know a bit of max for this to make sense.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ve been doing a little Max exploration and have found it extremely intuitive for me. I’ll continue my initial explorations there.

I will do the norns study a 3rd time in hopes of Lua clicking for me. I’ll also explore some video primers on it as well. Arcify also seems like an interesting way to potentially get some tests in.

Thanks for the suggestions.

1 Like